BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
SundayAfternoon

Everything Is Getting Eaten!

My baby carrot tops are getting slaughtered now. I planted some heritage seeds in a big tub, and they werecoming on fine... but each night I've notices 2 or 3 are getting munched, and by morning only a stalk remains.

I'm suspecting caterpillars, but can't for the life of me see any of the little critters!

Look around your garden and see what is growing well and looks healthy. This can include weeds. Collect some leaves and stems from these healthy plants. If you don't have chillies growing , buy 5 bahts worth. Same with bunching onions, garlic and lemongrass.

Chop everything as small as possible, except the chillies, leave them whole. Put in a bucket, add some over-ripe fruit. If you dont have the fruit, use about 4 teaspoons of brown sugar. Add a couple of dashes of fish sauce and then cover with warm water.

Allow to steep for 3 days. Strain off the liquid and mix with water, about 4 to 10 times the volume. The more glutinous the liquid, the more water needs to be added. You will need to experiment a bit to get it right.

Use this as a spray to completely cover the affected plants after rain or after you have watered. Preferably in the evenings.

The residue, after straining the liquid can go on your compost heap.

The theory behind this is that the pests are avoiding the healthy plants in your garden and by using the extracts from these plants, you are creating a less cmfortable environment for them.

Loong this really works! Tried it last night on my carrots and it was the first night they've been left alone! Thanks for the recipie. :)

That's great!

It's really nice when a totally organic pest control method works :)

Bonus is that it will also act as a foliar feed in a small way.