What'S Up At California Wow? Doors Closed...

tropo

Ok I spoke to the manager of the Ave and it appears they have not paid their rent or utilities for sometime and the landlord is simply enforcing their rights - allegedly.

A well know Falang pub in the same centre is also alleged to have done the same and is up for sale for B10 million

Great decision from the manager as now he has set the final step which creates a complete dungeon of his shopping center.

Also, if Cawow indeed has a court order as they said in there first message on the gate, this might come back to bite him in the arse.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok I spoke to the manager of the Ave and it appears they have not paid their rent or utilities for sometime and the landlord is simply enforcing their rights - allegedly.

A well know Falang pub in the same centre is also alleged to have done the same and is up for sale for B10 million

Great decision from the manager as now he has set the final step which creates a complete dungeon of his shopping center.

Also, if Cawow indeed has a court order as they said in there first message on the gate, this might come back to bite him in the arse.

I don't think the owners (A family group) of the Ave which there are many AVE's in Thailand really care - I think their pull much outweighs that of the Farang who owns the chain of gyms.

It is normal Thai Chinese mentality, they would rather have it empty if rent is not coming in. Its more a status thing - just look at older more abandon style centers in Pattaya like jomtien complex, the centre on the corner of dolphin roundabout and there is a semi abandoned centre half way along jomtien beach which are all owned by a family of thai Chinese who would rather have them empty if rent is not coming in.

The Avenue is owned by a company in which Major is the major shareholder and Major used to be the major shareholder in Cal Wow. The Cal Wows in Bangkok located in Major malls are shut also. This is different from the ones they planned on closing at the end of the month. Ekamie and Pinklao which are located in Major malls were supposed to stay open. Paragon Cal Wow told me Ekamie will reopen on Wednesday, but the guy I spoke with was just parroting something someone told him to say.

Edited by ricklev

Here's a snapshot of the notice they placed on the door:

post-34982-0-73224100-1340477832_thumb.j

The main words here are "Courts Protection". So the Manager of the Avenue doesn't care about the Bankruptcy protection order.

What's point of getting that then ??

The Avenue is owned by a company in which Major is the major shareholder and Major used to be the major shareholder in Cal Wow. The Cal Wows in Bangkok located in Major malls are shut also. This is different from the ones they planned on closing at the end of the month. Ekamie and Pinklao which are located in Major malls were supposed to stay open. Paragon Cal Wow told me Ekamie will reopen on Wednesday, but the guy I spoke with was just parroting something someone told him to say.

Yes correct it is Major who is majority owned by a thai Chinese family

There's nothing even close. To cover all that is special about California Wow over other gyms in Pattaya is beyond the scope of this thread. That would be a long list indeed.

would change to: There's nothing even close for the price. To cover all that is special about California Wow over other gyms in Pattaya is beyond the scope of this thread. That would be a long list indeed.

Nobody has brought up the Dusit, was a member there for many years, it is the 5 star work place but is really expensive.............. [ie much better than CA Wow, not even close]

Nonsense. There's nothing even close in Pattaya for any price. You can't include hotel fitness clubs as serious alternatives for people who train hardcore. Sure, for many a shiny hotel fitness club will do the trick, but not for me. My comment was in the context of a gym suitable for the type of training I do.

... and further to that, I don't train to a price. I cannot put a price on a good workout. I train everyday for hours and don't look at the price of a membership but rather the quality of workouts I can achieve. If I could find a place three times the price where I could have better workouts, I'd be training there.

To put this into perspective, if there was a Gold's or World Gym (American standard) in Pattaya for 60,000 baht per year - I'd be training there. Wouldn't think twice.

Edited by tropo

Yeah that is the Tonys i have been going to. Upstairs is okay but all the good weight stuff is downstairs and it is terribly hot in there.

What goes on across the road where the pool used to be?

Same same with more cardio equipment, less equipment and less space. It's likely to be cooler though because it's a "real" building. It's hard to keep a plastic tent with a tin roof cool no matter how many aircon units you run. I just don't know at what level Tony has been running his aircons at the old gym these days.

Edited by tropo

So, but CAWOW is still closed today? (Yes, I do have the small hope that it might reopen)

If you read the notice I posted, they're saying they may rectify the situation by Monday afternoon. Let's keep our fingers crossed on that.

If it is still closed today (has anybody been there yet today? Can someone assure me that I needn't go there and look) I will give a visit to Universe and tell about it...

Stay tuned to this thread. We will report the moment it's open.

There's nothing even close. To cover all that is special about California Wow over other gyms in Pattaya is beyond the scope of this thread. That would be a long list indeed.

would change to: There's nothing even close for the price. To cover all that is special about California Wow over other gyms in Pattaya is beyond the scope of this thread. That would be a long list indeed.

Nobody has brought up the Dusit, was a member there for many years, it is the 5 star work place but is really expensive.............. [ie much better than CA Wow, not even close]

Nonsense. There's nothing even close in Pattaya for any price. You can't include hotel fitness clubs as serious alternatives for people who train hardcore. Sure, for many a shiny hotel fitness club will do the trick, but not for me. My comment was in the context of a gym suitable for the type of training I do.

... and further to that, I don't train to a price. I cannot put a price on a good workout. I train everyday for hours and don't look at the price of a membership but rather the quality of workouts I can achieve. If I could find a place three times the price where I could have better workouts, I'd be training there.

To put this into perspective, if there was a Gold's or World Gym (American standard) in Pattaya for 60,000 baht per year - I'd be training there. Wouldn't think twice.

Actually there is, but it's a little way out on the Darkside, Castra Gym (Google Maps link). Large, well-equipped, aircon, inexpensive.

Alan that is a nice little place for a normal trainer.But if you are bordering on hardcore training then you cannot compare caste gym to a American standard hardcore gym.

Was that a reply to me? My name is not Alan... ermm.gif

If by Caste you mean Castra, are you sure you've seen it? Recently? I was well impressed when I saw it. A friend showed it to me and if it wasn't that my village has an excellent gym that I use for free I would certainly train there.

Actually there is, but it's a little way out on the Darkside, Castra Gym (Google Maps link). Large, well-equipped, aircon, inexpensive.

Cheers! I'll give them a go tomorrow if California is still closed. I don't care how far it is as long as I can have a decent workout.

Edited by tropo

Castra's Saturday and Sunday opening hours are hard to believe: 9am to 2pm. That's going to make weekend training difficult, especially considering I normally start my workouts after 2pm.

Edited by tropo

I was at the Tonys next to the Muay thai place opposite to were i used to go which had the swimming pool.

Fairtex is a bit out of the way. How much is it for a casual visit and does it have a good weight room?

The new 2 level gym with the plastic facade? Sports World. It was the gym we had to "prepare to be amazed" about when he was constructing it in 2010.

The weight room at Fairtex is reasonable. There is some decent equipment in there. One problem I have with it is that it's too small and they only have one of everything - 1 x flat bench, 1 x lat pulldown etc.

They charge 300 baht for a casual session. There's only one way to really find out if you like a gym or not - do a casual session.

It's to keep out the riff-raff...hopefully not too many of the WOW meatheads will make it down our way!

It's to keep out the riff-raff...hopefully not too many of the WOW meatheads will make it down our way!

Here you go again! Perhaps you're "riff-raff".

It's not a great gym but the yearly membership is only 1601 baht more than Tony's with 3 times the air-conditioning.

You can bet your bottom dollar they're going to get a lot of ex-Calfornia Wow members if it shuts. Just me mentioning here how cheap their yearly rate is will help.thumbsup.gif (and I'm glad to be of service). You can thank me later when you find your gym is just busy to move around in.

Edited by tropo

Castra's Saturday and Sunday opening hours are hard to believe: 9am to 2pm. That's going to make weekend training difficult, especially considering I normally start my workouts after 2pm.

Weekends tend to be very quiet in there - just me and another couple in there this morning though two guys did come in seperately to have a look round. Having said that weekday mornings are fairly quiet most days as well. Not sure if it gets busier in the afternoon.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect App

Weekends tend to be very quiet in there - just me and another couple in there this morning though two guys did come in seperately to have a look round. Having said that weekday mornings are fairly quiet most days as well. Not sure if it gets busier in the afternoon.

Keeping hours like that on weekends would assure it staying quiet too. It's a catch 22. Gyms need to be open all hours to get customers. Most weekend trainers would tend to start later.

Maybe it nver gets busy , and soon will not only close early during the week-ends but every day of the week same as Cawow does for the last few days.

Not sure if a membership is a good idea in that case.

Have you considered a five days a week - rest on the weekend - program?

No. If you must rest for 2 days it's illogical to take them consecutively when you can make better use of them spread more evenly over the week. e.g. 3 days on one day off, or 2 days on one day off. I've never trained 5 days on 2 days off (on weekends) and I'm not about to start just because a gym cannot maintain reasonable opening hours.

That was one of the good things about California Wow - always open until 9, 10 or 11pm. I didn't have to alter my routine to fit in with the gyms opening hours.

Edited by tropo

Not sure if a membership is a good idea in that case.

Is there any gym where you could sign up and confidently know it's going to be around for the full length of your membership?

There's no regulations here to protect the consumer. We're sitting ducks no matter where we sign up.

I was at the Tonys next to the Muay thai place opposite to were i used to go which had the swimming pool.

Fairtex is a bit out of the way. How much is it for a casual visit and does it have a good weight room?

The new 2 level gym with the plastic facade? Sports World. It was the gym we had to "prepare to be amazed" about when he was constructing it in 2010.

The weight room at Fairtex is reasonable. There is some decent equipment in there. One problem I have with it is that it's too small and they only have one of everything - 1 x flat bench, 1 x lat pulldown etc.

They charge 300 baht for a casual session. There's only one way to really find out if you like a gym or not - do a casual session.

Keep it up FB - always nice to see your gloating comments.

Edited by londoedan

10am. Still locked up - no one around - nothing happening.

Checked out Castra. It's ok, will have to do for a workout today, but it's nothing to get excited about. They have a lot of locally made (shitty) equipment exactly the same as they use at Tony's. The lat pulldown stack goes up in 20lb graduations - that's ridiculous even for strong people.

There's one thing absolutely incredible about this gym. It's very rare even at the most hardcore of gyms - they have DB's up to 185lbs. They just seem so out of place in such a low key suburban type of gym.

They recently changed Saturday & Sunday hours to 6pm close.

I'll see you down there! Casual visit - only 99 baht. Yearly membership 4999 baht.

Let's keep our fingers crossed for California opening later today.