Jazz & Blues

Guest IT Manager

Guest IT Manager

Just wondered is there somewhere I can take some O/S visitors to listen to blues/jazz, without having dozens of drunks all over the room.

Mango Tree Jazz/Blues band starts at about 8.00pm and goes on till 11.00/30 at present. Playing sax, flute, Thai flute, piano, bass, drums, mouth harp & occasional local and international guest artists.

(Extra staff will soon, hopefully, allow later trading!)

Drunks are kept outside with the cockroaches...

Bottom end of Loi Kroh Road, on the right near the bars.

Mango Tree opens all day, starting from 7.30am for breakfast & shows DVD Jazz & Blues during the daytime.

Have you heard of the Brasserie ? I think they play jazz/blues......bit other stuff as well. there used to be a famous Thai guy playing there who was known for his ability to play excellent versions of people like Hendrix. But who was quite versatile and would play allsorts of stuff. I dont know if this is what you are looking for or if it would suit, but it always had a good atmosphere without loads of drunks etc. Maybe someone else can update this info as I have not been there for 2 years.

maeng-daa is water beetle, and very tasty as part of a chile dip.

cockroach = maeng-sap

phii tuk generally plays a couple of blues tunes every night, and his house band always does a few blues numbers earlier in the evening.

haven't been to mango tree, will have to drop by some evening soon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

THe Blue Note Club by the river just lng from the Tavern do live Jazz every nite, I've heard its pretty good and very tastefully decorated and all that Jazz, (dont do food though so fill up before you go

There's a place on the south side of Tai Phai rd, a couple blocks west of the river, that has a group called "Teh Band"....I think just a typo for "The Band", with a young girl drummer and a really great clarinetist (who plays other instruments as well), who really makes you believe that he's a reincarnation of Paul Desmond. They play mostly 60's-style jazz, easy to listen to stuff, but they are very good, if not very adventurous.

• 2 weeks later...
Is a guy named "Took" still playing in CM? I think the name of the place was "The Brasserie" or something like that but I'm not sure.

Yep. Believe he is still playing at the Brasserie on the river. He is also the owner of the establishment. Still Chiang Mai's best guitarist too by all accounts.