Thai Govt To Issue Land Deeds To Mangrove Encroachers

webfact

Perhaps this is the new and improved policy for preserving the environment. Can't wait to see these same officials scratching their heads, wondering why the rains are causing mudslides and washing away all the land.

Plus one of the lessons of the tsunami was that mangroves helped to reduce the impact of the waves. What an irresponsible decision.

But hardly surprising here.

Still, if you want to feel safe from the sea and enjoy the mangrove swamps and other unspoilt natural beauty there's always Burma, that fresh pristine land to the north but better over there before that goes too.

you missed some other important info "Most encroached upon mangrove land - especially in the Andaman Sea provinces of Phuket and Krabi - is occupied by wealthy people"

I would understand the policy, if the encroachers were poor and landless, but that's not the case

No I caught that. I was thinking ownership by one person should be limited to a certain amount of property and no one may own more than one piece of property and none can be used for commercial use.

Only in Thailand you will be rewarded for doing something illegal, never mind it is encroaching on public land or staging coups. Amazing

Successful coups aren't illegal.....only the unsuccessful.

Like war crimes, they are illegal if you lost the war, if you won you are a war hero.

On the land it may depend on how rich you are already. Taking land, because you are homeless and poor --> need to be punished.

Taking land, because you are rich and want to get ample rich --> complete OK.

But you find similar things in other countries....maybe not that visible but the things aren't different.

That is <deleted>. You have to judge it from the laws already existing when the deed is done. But I agree with you that history is written by the winners. The coup 2006 was in Sep 2006 illegal, it was made legal by the new constitution. Rich people can only get away with illegal deeds, when there is no rule of law or when the justice system has double standards.

You seem to be in possession of Information I do not have.

What year was it made illegal and how many were on it at that time.

Another brilliant decision continuing decades of gross negligence and hypocrisy. If the government cabinet approves this, then they are idiots and are continuing the idiotic practices of past governments.

You seriously think they are not idiots now. Massive floods and they ignore them while they are busy trying to get amnesty for a man who has stolen billions from the country. And they are not idiots until they try to throw poor people off land their families have been on for generations.

At least on this thread you are not alone most of the posters are absolutely for sure positively sure that it is only rich people who are and have been doing it.

If you would lay aside your prejudices against the rich and take a honest look at the law you would be able to see where it could be modified to protect the land and the poor as well. For sure with your attitude you are on the right thread.

Moderators please do not eliminate any flaming reactions.

I apologize to the one's who have looked at it with a open mind.

Edited by hellodolly