Drive My Own Car From Thailand Into Cambodia

Antaro

On 5/15/2014 at 4:53 PM, phuketrichard said:

Last year did the Laos/Camboida trip again and use Osmach, July 2013 trip

I have the the english thai plates as well but have never used them

i have never exited Cambodia to Laos but have heard from some motorcycllst that have>

If you do this PLease let us know.

BUt unless u really want to go to PP why not just head from Siem rep across ( via Kulen- Preah vihear city) to Stung Treng?

I am heading back to Cambodia via Surin again in late june and plan on visiting Rattanakiri ( east of Stung Treng) and Mondulkiri this trip

Happy trails

Hello, how to get the english thai plates ? Thank you.

• 6 months later...

Any recent experiences (current law and how it's applied)? Plan to travel with a Farang friend who wants to take his car from Thailand (bought there, all documentation, driver's license, taxes, insurance) to Cambodia for about one week (probably enter and leave via Chantaburi and/or Trat province, travel in Battambang, Siem Reap, Phnom Penh, Sihanoukville), and then back to Thailand.

I just notice this thread is misplaced in

Southeast Asia Forum

Forum for Southeast Asia, other than Thailand, Myanmar and Cambodia: Discuss news and issues related to Brunei, East Timor, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore and Vietnam.

Can a moderator move it wherever he thinks it belongs?

• 4 weeks later...

Taking a Thai car into Cambodia (Mon 5jun2017)

Farang friend FF owns and drives a car in Thailand, which we took into Cambodia. This was possible without much delay or bribes or documentation, but can only be done at two border crossings: Hat Lek (Trat province) / Cham Yeam and Kap Choeng (Surin province) / O’Smach (information from internet). Taking the car back to Thailand should be possible at any border crossing, however upon entering we learned that we have to come back to the same place (Hat Lek, our place of entry), recent regulation. If I had known that before, I would not have gone. In addition, you are only allowed to drive in the province of entry, but we kept the red number plate they gave us (to be displayed behind the windscreen?) in the glove compartment as to not draw attention, and drove all over Cambodia without being stopped.

I entered separately from FF as a pedestrian, and taking car in took about 30 min longer. Here what he told me: red number plate costs 1000 THB, an obscure fee 100 THB for stamps and documents, a tip 5 USD for a taxi driver who led FF to the various offices.

Going back into Thailand on Sat 10jun2017 we did together, and indeed from their pile of documents they (Cambodian customs?) picked out the one relating to FF’s car, for him to present elsewhere at the border.

I always pay 100 baht/day at Cham Yeam  an they ask u how many days, IF u exit there they will charge you 100 baht for each day ur over what they say.I use this border when we go visit family in Kep

They tell u ur only supposed to drive in KK province but have never had any problem driving everywhere around. 

Problem with entering in KK is they take ur Thai temp export paper which u NEED to re enter Thailand so ur stuck exiting at KK>

If u enter at Osmach they just wave u thru and smile

I got around exiting at KK twice and exited at Pailin and Poi pet and  just told them i lost the paper and had no problem

• 1 month later...
On 5/24/2013 at 11:22 AM, phuketrichard said:

as above;

when i entered last July had to wake the customs guy up as he was passed out in his hammock behind the hut :-)

heading back this way in July.

Entering Laos has more paperwork involved PLUS u 100% have to buy insurance!!! For a thai car u need the purple registration book which is issued by the transport office ( where you get your license plates)

You can not take ur car into Vietnam

u drove from Bangkok to Surin and than SR?

last exit i made in Sept with car was SR-Poi Pet- Pattaya 7 1/2 hours

Any update ? 

On 6/14/2017 at 3:02 PM, ChristianPFC said:

Taking a Thai car into Cambodia (Mon 5jun2017)

Farang friend FF owns and drives a car in Thailand, which we took into Cambodia. This was possible without much delay or bribes or documentation, but can only be done at two border crossings: Hat Lek (Trat province) / Cham Yeam and Kap Choeng (Surin province) / O’Smach (information from internet). Taking the car back to Thailand should be possible at any border crossing, however upon entering we learned that we have to come back to the same place (Hat Lek, our place of entry), recent regulation. If I had known that before, I would not have gone. In addition, you are only allowed to drive in the province of entry, but we kept the red number plate they gave us (to be displayed behind the windscreen?) in the glove compartment as to not draw attention, and drove all over Cambodia without being stopped.

I entered separately from FF as a pedestrian, and taking car in took about 30 min longer. Here what he told me: red number plate costs 1000 THB, an obscure fee 100 THB for stamps and documents, a tip 5 USD for a taxi driver who led FF to the various offices.

Going back into Thailand on Sat 10jun2017 we did together, and indeed from their pile of documents they (Cambodian customs?) picked out the one relating to FF’s car, for him to present elsewhere at the border.

Not true actually, you can go back to Thailand anywhere.

IF u enter at KK they take ur thai temp export doc.

Thailand  asks for this when u return. Osmach does not take it from you.

I have entered 3 times thru KK and only ONCE exited there, ( last dec, as i only went to Kep) )    not any trouble,  You just need make up a story about why don't have the temp export doc. of course they could fine you but......  Have also entered at O'smach at least 8 times and never exited thru there once.

Archived