Shore Fishing...Getting Started

ExpatJ

Last Saturday i finally got round to a trip to the fishing shop in On nut (suk soi 77)- bought a 'medium action', 9 foot , fairly light spinning rod and a nice Penn reel loaded with 220 meters of 15 lb line.

From online research it seems the coastal/inshore areas are pretty much fished out with only smaller specimens around- so i figure a light tackle set up would be most fun.

My plan is sunset fishing, wading up to my waist and then throwing out a lure for some spinning off the beach in Hua Hin/ Pattaya/Phuket...and some float fishing off the rocks, piers with some squid or shrimp bait.

Any tips regarding bait or types of lures to use would be much appreciated. Or anyone have experience of this type of fishing ?

• 2 weeks later...

Fishing is so different in every part of Thailand, but from what I've seen the big fish caught from shore are almost always caught with live bait (usually squid) under a float. Use a short metal leader so the fish's teeth don't cut the line. For smaller fish I've been catching a lot using shrimp underneath a float. If there's no shrimp or squid even pork works decently. Again use a short metal leader. Even the small fish have sharp teeth that can saw through plastic line. I reeled by line back in about 3 times with no hook before I realized what was going on. Their teeth were so sharp that all I felt was a slight tug before the hook was gone.

• 2 weeks later...

E-Jay,

Had a go at it yet? Any reports?

I just came back from Phuket- but the sea where i was staying was way to rough sea to attempt fishing off the beach unfortunately. Ill be going to Pattaya early August so hopefully will have something to report then.