Cm Pollution Up Again.

p1p

Looks like the pollution is setting in again now.

Just had to visit the doctor for first asthma treatment this year.

If it keeps on, we may have to look at moving elsewhere. Lungs can't take it anymore.

How's the song go?

"Even though this might ruin you

Let it burn (let it burn, let it burn, you gon'learn)

Let it burn (gotta let it burn)

Gotta let it burn "

Better stop now. Mood is such I might write something interesting enough to warrant being given an involununtary holiday. %$@# it!

Bummer about the asthma, p1p

Must be from local pollution, though. In my travels around the area, I've yet to see any substantial field burning going on yet. Just the 'after dark' burners in every village burning...?

Chiang Mai is one of the most polluted places you can probably live - anywhere. If you are here for your health you are in the wrong place.

There was an article in the Korat Post dated 22 March 2004 that made mention of the increasing numbers of people with lung cancer and other respiratory diseases in Chiang Mai. The Pollution Control Department detected exceptionally high levels of fine particle pollutants which come mainly from the toxic fumes originating from garbage and leaf burnings. The Provincial Public Health Office reported 704,800 cases of respiratory diseases recorded in 2003 and an incidence of lung cancer of 138.87 per 100,000 in 2002 up from 64.96 per 100,000 in 2001. To put it bluntly, these numbers are off the charts.

All this pollution gets trapped in the valley so it's like being in a small room all day with people lighting up their favorite cancer stick and you get to inhale it. Essentially, your immune system is constantly working overtime trying to fend off the toxic contaminants your breathing in. Add to this the pending bird flu pandemic, unhealthy food preparation, dangerous roadways and occasional wacko local that takes offense for who knows what, this may be one of the most dangerous places on the planet. I for one, will at least be moving out of Chiang Mai to another part of the LOS soon before my lungs collapse and I become case number 704,801 (or is it over 1,000,000 by now?).

Sorry to hear that, p1p.

No signs of air pollution here in Sansai, except the occasional neighbourhood garbage burning session. I have also noticed smoky air in San Kamphaeng once or twice.

We have just moved to CNX. I don't know how bad it will get. Hopefully not too bad, otherwise we might have to move on.

Cheers, X-Pat

• 3 weeks later...

I'm wondering if anyone could suggest to us a nice town/city in Thailand to stay permanent, because CM pollution, trafic...etc.

We are older couple from europe, so discos are not important to us.

Please kindly let us know. Many thanks and greetings. We do like the forum very much. :o Ann & Ben

I'm wondering if anyone could suggest to us a nice town/city in Thailand to stay permanent, because CM pollution, trafic...etc.

We are older couple from europe, so discos are not important to us.

Please kindly let us know. Many thanks and greetings. We do like the forum very much. :o Ann & Ben

I'll suggest you try the "General Topics" forum - there you'll find quite many threads discussing questions very identical to yours. Here's an example:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=57019