Changed Surnames And Buying Air Tickets For Us Green Card Holders

Hi all. I am a US citizen married to a Thai lady who is currently in the process of obtaining her Green Card here in the US. When she gets her GC (should be within the next month or two) we will be purchasing plane tickets for her and I to return to Thailand for her to visit her parents. Here in the US, she has taken my last name, and that is what will show on her GC as well as other US legal documents. Her Thai passport however still has her original Thai maiden name.

My question is - when we buy plane tickets, should we buy them in her original name as shown on her Thai passport, or with her new name as will be shown on her GC? What are the implications of either option?

Thank you in advance!

I would buy the tickets in the name on her passport, but I don't think it matters either way.

Airlines are subject to large fines if the knowingly carry a passenger without the correct entry clearance for their destination, so they want to be sure that the passenger will be allowed in at their destination; or as sure as possible.

So on leaving the US they will want to see her Thai passport at check in and on leaving Thailand her green card as well.

That these are in different names, and one a different name to her ticket, should not be a problem, provided she has a documented link; i.e. your marriage certificate.

Thai immigration wont be a problem as she will just show them her Thai passport.

I'm afraid I don't know about US immigration, though. Logically her passport, green card and marriage certificate should suffice; but I don't know if they would.

I would buy the tickets in the name on her passport, but I don't think it matters either way.

Airlines are subject to large fines if the knowingly carry a passenger without the correct entry clearance for their destination, so they want to be sure that the passenger will be allowed in at their destination; or as sure as possible.

So on leaving the US they will want to see her Thai passport at check in and on leaving Thailand her green card as well.

That these are in different names, and one a different name to her ticket, should not be a problem, provided she has a documented link; i.e. your marriage certificate.

Thai immigration wont be a problem as she will just show them her Thai passport.

I'm afraid I don't know about US immigration, though. Logically her passport, green card and marriage certificate should suffice; but I don't know if they would.

Thanks 7by7, I think you are right. Sounds like a good approach to me.

For security reasons she can only buy tickets in the name that is listed in her passport. If these doesn't match, she will not be allowed to board.

Traveling to the US requires that the airline will need to provide passenger details prior to departure to check if any passegers are on the no fly list.

I ran into a similar situation recently. After our marriage, my wife and son's names were legally changed, but their passports ended up being out of sync with the names on their airline tickets. For my son's case, I had to travel with his legal name change document, and that worked. The airline was also kind enough to change the name on his ticket when we checked in, which they would vehemently not do over the phone days prior to our departure. For my wife, we will be making the flight in about two weeks, and I've been told as long as I travel with our marriage certificate and her legal name change certificates, we should be able to board, though it might take longer.

Couples that honeymoon often have the same scenario. Wife still has her maiden name on passport, but doesn't match married names they travel as. So they travel with marriage certificate.

In short, arrive early, try to change the names upon checkin and have all of your documents with you at all times. Good luck!

Have exactly the same situation

Me went to Thailand in April, and just came back.

No problem,

purchased the tickets in our married name.

At the airport when they asked about the name discrepancy ,between the passport and ticket we showed them her

US drivers licence with her picture,that had her married name,

her Green Card, with her married name

our marriage certificate

And explained, that her name changed when we got married

it all took a couple of minutes to do, as I am sure they are faced with that situation a lot.

as I said before , No problem

PS:

even when your wife becomes a citizen, and gets a US passport, it is a good idea to keep her Thai passport,

We have not done this yet, but this is how it was explained to us

when Going to Thailand , she should use her Thai Passport and enter as a Thai, so that she will not have any Visa issues

then upon her return, use her american passport to re-enter the US

Edited by sirineou

Thanks for the replies all. We'll definitely keep her Thai passport with her maiden Thai name. Sounds like that is the best thing to do. When she becomes a US citizen will just use her marriage name (i.e. the new name).

Thanks for the replies all. We'll definitely keep her Thai passport with her maiden Thai name. Sounds like that is the best thing to do. When she becomes a US citizen will just use her marriage name (i.e. the new name).

Why not change her surname to yours on her Thai ID card and passport? Simple process and will keep the traveling simple as well.

TH

Why not change her surname to yours on her Thai ID card and passport? Simple process and will keep the traveling simple as well.

TH

That is certainly another option. I've been reading about that on this forum and others and have yet to decide if that would be the right move for us. She owns some land in BKK and I wonder if changing her name would complicate things for her in anyway. It seems (from what I have read) that a name change just adds an extra layer of complexity to any dealings she may have in Thailand, and I'd rather keep things as simple and straightforward as can be. Do you have any insight on the matter? Would love to get as much input as possible from people who have "been there done that".

There is an old wives tale that a Thai woman changing her surname to that of her foreign husband loses some rights in Thailand, including owning land.

I say it is an old wives tale because I believe all the relevant rules were changed some time ago. There is now no problem for a Thai woman who takes her foreign husband's surname.

My wife changed her ID card the day we got married 12 years ago, although she didn't get round to changing her passport until it expired and she renewed it. Never had a problem and her married name is on the title deeds of the house and land we own, or to be legally precise; she owns, in Bangkok.

But at the end of the day, it is her choice.

There is an old wives tale that a Thai woman changing her surname to that of her foreign husband loses some rights in Thailand, including owning land.

I say it is an old wives tale because I believe all the relevant rules were changed some time ago. There is now no problem for a Thai woman who takes her foreign husband's surname.

My wife changed her ID card the day we got married 12 years ago, although she didn't get round to changing her passport until it expired and she renewed it. Never had a problem and her married name is on the title deeds of the house and land we own, or to be legally precise; she owns, in Bangkok.

But at the end of the day, it is her choice.

7by7, thanks for the insight. I do realize that on these expat boards, there are lots of urban myths and so on when it comes to these sorts of experiences, so I do take info I glean from these boards with a grain of salt. A lot of people say there is no effect from a name change of a Thai ID, and others claim there are. I tend to agree with you in the sense that I'm more inclined to believe that a name change nowadays is fine and won't lead to any adverse results as far as land ownership and other sorts of issues.

My wife's US passport is in her married name. Her Thai passport and ID card are in her given name. Our attempts to change everything to her married name were met with resistance. Thai authorities at the passport office and local amphoe said "keep everything the way it is. When in the US, use her married name, when in Thailand, use her given name". We have never had a problem, and have given up trying to correct it.

Airline tickets are purchased using her married name. She shows her US passport when entering or leaving US, and Thai passport when entering or leaving Thailand. Rarely has she been questioned about the names, but when she is, she shows both passports and that ends the issue.

Edited by curtklay

if your wife stays in LOS for more than a year she will loose her GC. over time, if she doesn't spend 6 months per year on US soil she will loose it as well. I'm not sure what your plans are but thought I'd write about it.My friend used to have a GC and last year it was confiscated upon his return as he had left for too long.

Sokh Dee '-)

Edited by hopdafru

My wife's US passport is in her married name. Her Thai passport and ID card are in her given name. Our attempts to change everything to her married name were met with resistance. Thai authorities at the passport office and local amphoe said "keep everything the way it is. When in the US, use her married name, when in Thailand, use her given name". We have never had a problem, and have given up trying to correct it.

Airline tickets are purchased using her married name. She shows her US passport when entering or leaving US, and Thai passport when entering or leaving Thailand. Rarely has she been questioned about the names, but when she is, she shows both passports and that ends the issue.

Sounds like the way to go!

if your wife stays in LOS for more than a year she will loose her GC. over time, if she doesn't spend 6 months per year on US soil she will loose it as well. I'm not sure what your plans are but thought I'd write about it.My friend used to have a GC and last year it was confiscated upon his return as he had left for too long.

Sokh Dee '-)

Yes, we are aware of that requirement. We're definitely just visiting Thailand for about a month. We have no plans to stay there long term. When she obtains US citizenship, our long term plans might change however. Thanks for the note anyway. ;)