Avoid Phuket At All Costs: Crime Capital Of Asia

george

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lot of hype in this topic. Personally I have not felt unsafe in my 15+ years living here. Yes, sure I have had a couple of bad moments with road rage incidents. And I don't wander about the streets late at night, or use Tuk Tuks, or hire jet skis. Never had my own home burgled. Feel safer here than many other places I have lived or visited in a large number of other countries (Singapore would be the exception). On the other hand I use a lot of common sense and am aware of my surroundings.

Lot of hype in this topic. Personally I have not felt unsafe in my 15+ years living here. Yes, sure I have had a couple of bad moments with road rage incidents. And I don't wander about the streets late at night, or use Tuk Tuks, or hire jet skis. Never had my own home burgled. Feel safer here than many other places I have lived or visited in a large number of other countries (Singapore would be the exception). On the other hand I use a lot of common sense and am aware of my surroundings.

The target audience of this article is not the scores of ex-pats living their lives in their gated communities, with a modicum of safety from their security guards, supportive neighbours and influential friends. They know the pitfalls of living here and adjust their lifestyles to avoid them or some are as bad if not worse than the native criminals.

However, that is not true for the unsuspecting tourist who are lured to Phuket by the glossy adverts selling the lie of pristine beaches, cheap, carefree holidays, fun loving locals and a smiling tourist police ready to serve and defend them. Finally here an article that tells it like it is, forewarned is for-armed.

The target audience of this article is not the scores of ex-pats living their lives in their gated communities, with a modicum of safety from their security guards, supportive neighbours and influential friends. They know the pitfalls of living here and adjust their lifestyles to avoid them or some are as bad if not worse than the native criminals.

However, that is not true for the unsuspecting tourist who are lured to Phuket by the glossy adverts selling the lie of pristine beaches, cheap, carefree holidays, fun loving locals and a smiling tourist police ready to serve and defend them. Finally here an article that tells it like it is, forewarned is for-armed.

I feel that the people who fall for the glossy adverts are a dying breed. Internet has changed everything and news travels to every corner of the globe with a click.

Tourists arent as oblivious as you think.

I feel that the people who fall for the glossy adverts are a dying breed. Internet has changed everything and news travels to every corner of the globe with a click.

Tourists arent as oblivious as you think.

I agree they arent oblivious, but they do have a hidden agenda. For example the tour company that organised the orientation tours of Phuket for the group of travel agents, one of whom was stabbed to death in a failed handbag snatch. have made a statement on the TV news saying, dont let this incident put you off Phuket, as its a perfectly safe place to visit, this is a one off incident, or words to that effect.

Is he saying this because he believes it of because he has invested a lot of money in tour packages to Phuket?

PS: I include internet advertising in the glossy adverts, However most tourist would buy flights and hotel packages from travel agent rather than organise it all by themselves. PSS: Although these incidences are front page in the western media they wouldnt be very prominent in Chinese or Russian media so these will be the fresh meat.

What are you talking about. I have never lived in a gated community, security guards. I know very few expats living here on Phuket Island with that sort of facility. Most of us live alongside our Thai neighbours ....

Maybe you dont but many do. Anyway it was a fair call to make this generalisation after your statement, "On the other hand I use a lot of common sense and am aware of my surroundings" suggesting that in general most tourist dont.

What are you talking about. I have never lived in a gated community, security guards. I know very few expats living here on Phuket Island with that sort of facility. Most of us live alongside our Thai neighbours ....

Maybe you dont but many do. Anyway it was a fair call to make this generalisation after your statement, "On the other hand I use a lot of common sense and am aware of my surroundings" suggesting that in general most tourist dont.

Obviously you don't know much about life on Phuket Island. Most expats do not live in gated security guarded communities. And moving onto the common sense statement, many folks (local & tourist) go out and get very drunk thus placing themselves in a difficult situation. That's just a bit of NOT common sense.

What, you mean the road block that if you are completely legal with appropriate license and insurance, and wearing a helmet if you are on a bike, you get waived through with a smile? Those rip off road blocks?

Let's say so that Phuket or any other place is like an child who tries to grow up. Some day doing petty crime, like driving without an helmet is ignored and the another day it will be punished. Our child is very confused as it can not figure out what is ok and what is wrong.

On the bigger picture this child looks for others to learn. There is plenty of corruption and the corrupted people seems to the ones who get biggest share of the birthday cake - always. Child can associate that if he does not care of the others and be greedy, he will get most strawberries from the cake.

Obviously you don't know much about life on Phuket Island. Most expats do not live in gated security guarded communities. And moving onto the common sense statement, many folks (local & tourist) go out and get very drunk thus placing themselves in a difficult situation. That's just a bit of NOT common sense.

Most tourist are young and come to Phuket to get drunk and have a good time, TAT and the Phuket government know this and advertise Patong as a party area. They are happy to take their money they should also be happy to show a duty of care for them, rather than leave them to the mercy of the sharks. This is the core argument in this article, tourist arent safe in Phuket because the authorities and local treat them as ATMs not people, and blame the victims not the perpetrators. Meanwhile those charged with law enforcement are part of the problem not the solution.

I am quit sure 99.9 % of all thais and farrang on Phuket are descent people, that will help any tourist in need and do so. But sometimes shit happens......w00t.gif

Realistically, its probably 75% are decent.

I would agree but I can see as the tourist numbers drop ever more criminals are attracted to the major tourist spots like moths to a flame.

My first impression of Phuket was, dam_n, this island is very expensive compared to Bangkok for food, tours and accommodation. I was totally shocked by the very large muslim presence on the Island.

The muslims very much remind me of the ones in Indonesia's Bali.

Some are friendly and easygoing but the others look at you like crap and try to rip you off any way they can.

After reading of all the crime and problems occuring on the Island I won't be taking my family back there ever again.

My first impression of Phuket was, dam_n, this island is very expensive compared to Bangkok for food, tours and accommodation. I was totally shocked by the very large muslim presence on the Island.

The muslims very much remind me of the ones in Indonesia's Bali.

Some are friendly and easygoing but the others look at you like crap and try to rip you off any way they can.

After reading of all the crime and problems occuring on the Island I won't be taking my family back there ever again.

Funny, my own experience is that the muslims are more honest in business dealings. Maybe that's because they don't have such a "pliable" set of morals?

As you can see yourself, global moderator, your opinion is not changing the majority that we read. You cannot keep your pink glasses for much longer although you have a 15+ years experience. Wait a few more years and things will come: suddenly, unexpectedly, just behind the corner... and your sand castle that you have built in Phuket will crumble down to dirt and dust and finally you will see what's underneath: racism, hatred and cheating...

But for the time being, keep your luck and hold on it for as long as you can! One day...

Yes this is so true.

Phuket used to be a very nice and SAFE place to visit.

I have been there MANY times, but i do not plan to go back anymore.

Much rather go to Krabi.

I think it is the fault of the thai government to allow the Russian mafia to take control of the island, and the corrupt police force who are paid to close their eyes to the criminal elements that are there( Russian maffia).

I do feel sorry for the genuine Thai small business people who are honest and trying to make a resonable living.

I do hope that the Thai Government try to fix these problems before it is too late and NO tourists visit Phuket.

MAYBE IT IS TOO LATE ALREADY.

As you can see yourself, global moderator, your opinion is not changing the majority that we read. You cannot keep your pink glasses for much longer although you have a 15+ years experience. Wait a few more years and things will come: suddenly, unexpectedly, just behind the corner... and your sand castle that you have built in Phuket will crumble down to dirt and dust and finally you will see what's underneath: racism, hatred and cheating...

But for the time being, keep your luck and hold on it for as long as you can! One day...

I think you don't have a clue about phuket. Been here 8 years and I've had no major troubles, only farang owned businesses have ripped me off so now I strictly buy from Thai businesses and I never have a problem since.

Racism is everywhere, go to Australia and you will see its no different.

I find that Phuket bashers either failed trying to live here or just spend too much time in the thaivisa news forum and base their opinion on headlines.

I'm going down to the beach now to enjoy the beautiful day.

I would think that the issue is not if we have encountered major crimes while living in Phuket. At least for me the issue is contingency. How to secure life here without needing to do an backup to somewhere else?

Life is cheap here, but can I rely that my house will not be effected even if I do not have the power to fight for it? Can I rely that the people and the government is fair in that case? Can you rely to it?

The old saying is "don't invest to Thailand anything that you can not afford to loose". Fair advice. But do all of you have such an big pockets that you consider this place as your playground and keep your real money out of the country?

I am at least is getting older and I do need to think about the backup plans. How to survive if things get sour here. What are you plans for the future?

What I'm currently looking for is stability. Something to build on. If the base is shaky, it's not the best ground to build on. It's like rented housing versus owned one. Which is kept in better condition?

At the end of the day, the question is not what we see today, but how much the people who live here wants to take care of their own home environment. What can be done to get rid of the scum and start building on top of the ground stones again?

As you can see yourself, global moderator, your opinion is not changing the majority that we read.

And the majority that you describe here in this thread............ don't live here.

So your argument is shot, but brings up a good point.

We should probably gauge these responses on:

-my opinion is based on permanent residency

-my opinion is based on spending more than three months in Phuket per year

-my opinion is based on I once had a weeks holiday in Patong

-my opinion is based on never having been there but have been reading about all the recent crime

No doubt you,ll be hounded for being alarmist by both those who have vested interests in maintaining the facade of Thailand as a dream holidat destination and those who prefer to keep there heads burried in the sand.

Phuket truly is a wretched place, I was beaten unconcious by two Thais outside 7*11 around 3 years ago myself, all for the grand sum of around 600 bht.

check this link http://www.thephuket...amily-31469.php

The fact is the veil is really being lifted oh Thailand these days as the crooks and skum become ever bolder, with scams and deciets getting taken to a whole new level.

Just last week I had a Thai guy come up to outside the mall in Siam square and demand 20 bht, I politely said mai pen rai cap and moved away. The nutter started screaming and frothing at the mouth calling me everything under the sun. I do not doubt he was on the point of attacking me until the mall security overheard and started coming in my direction. He walked away pretending to shoot me with his finger.

These stories are everywhere everyday and soon people will start turning there backs on the place en masse.

I've also seen incidents like that in UK and USA. Not just a Thai problem. I've been here for 2 years and haven't seen any violent incidents at all. I've spent 6 months In New York and seen a few. And I've seen plenty of incidents like this in the UK. What you describe is just one mad person. It sounds like an isolated incident. I've been to Siam Square lots of times and never seen anything remotely like what you described.

Good for you, although you seem to be in the minority.

I read comments like yours and have to wonder where you live and whether you ever leave your home, because I have regularly seen farang being harassed, corralled, conjolled, intimidated, pushed, stomped and beaten by locals.

As for "these things happen everywhere", I disagree. Show me a news article from any country where a tourist was attacked, beaten with a foreign object and robbed as they exit a 7-11. I'll be waiting with baited breath.

Also, how about sharing some of your experiences where you have "seen" these types of incidents in the west with your own two eyes?

Not a 7/11 (not sure if they have them in the US, but it does happen elsewhere!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3532368/Two-British-men-shot-dead-in-US.html

I have noticed how several replies and opinions relate to the (lack of) actions of the police.

It seems that after talking with both Thais and foreigners that their opinion of the BiB is very much similar:

The majority are nothing more than legalized criminals.

Until those whose job it is to uphold the law actually do so - there is little hope of advancement.

• Like 1

No doubt you,ll be hounded for being alarmist by both those who have vested interests in maintaining the facade of Thailand as a dream holidat destination and those who prefer to keep there heads burried in the sand.

Phuket truly is a wretched place, I was beaten unconcious by two Thais outside 7*11 around 3 years ago myself, all for the grand sum of around 600 bht.

check this link http://www.thephuket...amily-31469.php

The fact is the veil is really being lifted oh Thailand these days as the crooks and skum become ever bolder, with scams and deciets getting taken to a whole new level.

Just last week I had a Thai guy come up to outside the mall in Siam square and demand 20 bht, I politely said mai pen rai cap and moved away. The nutter started screaming and frothing at the mouth calling me everything under the sun. I do not doubt he was on the point of attacking me until the mall security overheard and started coming in my direction. He walked away pretending to shoot me with his finger.

These stories are everywhere everyday and soon people will start turning there backs on the place en masse.

I've also seen incidents like that in UK and USA. Not just a Thai problem. I've been here for 2 years and haven't seen any violent incidents at all. I've spent 6 months In New York and seen a few. And I've seen plenty of incidents like this in the UK. What you describe is just one mad person. It sounds like an isolated incident. I've been to Siam Square lots of times and never seen anything remotely like what you described.

Good for you, although you seem to be in the minority.

I read comments like yours and have to wonder where you live and whether you ever leave your home, because I have regularly seen farang being harassed, corralled, conjolled, intimidated, pushed, stomped and beaten by locals.

As for "these things happen everywhere", I disagree. Show me a news article from any country where a tourist was attacked, beaten with a foreign object and robbed as they exit a 7-11. I'll be waiting with baited breath.

Also, how about sharing some of your experiences where you have "seen" these types of incidents in the west with your own two eyes?

Not a 7/11 (not sure if they have them in the US, but it does happen elsewhere!

http://www.thesun.co...dead-in-US.html

Yes, violent incidents involving tourists do occur in the U.S. They also occur in Canada, Australia, England, and other countries in Europe (and elsewhere). As I have stated before; The major difference between such incidents in those countries and in Thailand is the attitude and approaches taken by the police and local governments involved. In the countries that I listed above, the police actually consider enforcing the law to be their job and do not approach criminal events with their sole consideration being what their personal profit will be. They make genuine efforts to investigate, locate, and arrest the criminals. In this particular case, the criminal scum was arrested, tried, convicted, and given a life sentence. He was not given the death penalty because he was a "minor" at the time of committing the murders.

In the U.S. you will find that the vast majority of police and other law enforcement personnel are dedicated people doing a tough job and are not for sale. Are there some "bad apples"? Sure, but they are the few, the exception. I have lived in Germany for three years and travelled to England, Norway, Denmark, and Italy. I have confidence that the same applies to the police officers and law enforcement organizations in those countries also.

• Like 1

Yes, violent incidents involving tourists do occur in the U.S. They also occur in Canada, Australia, England, and other countries in Europe (and elsewhere). As I have stated before; The major difference between such incidents in those countries and in Thailand is the attitude and approaches taken by the police and local governments involved. In the countries that I listed above, the police actually consider enforcing the law to be their job and do not approach criminal events with their sole consideration being what their personal profit will be. They make genuine efforts to investigate, locate, and arrest the criminals. In this particular case, the criminal scum was arrested, tried, convicted, and given a life sentence. He was not given the death penalty because he was a "minor" at the time of committing the murders.

In the U.S. you will find that the vast majority of police and other law enforcement personnel are dedicated people doing a tough job and are not for sale. Are there some "bad apples"? Sure, but they are the few, the exception. I have lived in Germany for three years and travelled to England, Norway, Denmark, and Italy. I have confidence that the same applies to the police officers and law enforcement organizations in those countries also.

You'll find that Thailand is a far less developed country than the ones you mention, so it's hardly surprising that the police force and other institutions don't come up to Western standards.

As you can see yourself, global moderator, your opinion is not changing the majority that we read.

And the majority that you describe here in this thread............ don't live here.

-my opinion is based on never having been there but have been reading about all the recent crime

you forgot the important one:

-my opinion is based on owning or managing a business that deals with tourists.

You'll find that Thailand is a far less developed country than the ones you mention, so it's hardly surprising that the police force and other institutions don't come up to Western standards.

What exactly are these western standards you place on such a high pedestal?

Police in the US routinely murder and assault citizens with little comeback.

Police in Australia lie, perjure themselves in court and fabricate evidence. It happens all the time.

Read this and tell me you would have faith in any Australian cop.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/tasered-for-not-showing-his-ticket-20120630-219m3.html

you forgot the important one:

-my opinion is based on owning or managing a business that deals with tourists.

I would say that would be covered in the "residency" as Phuket's industries are mainly aimed at the tourist market.

Police in the US routinely murder and assault citizens with little comeback.

You have no statistics to support that statement and need to stop watching television cop shows.