Avoid Phuket At All Costs: Crime Capital Of Asia

george

You'll find that Thailand is a far less developed country than the ones you mention, so it's hardly surprising that the police force and other institutions don't come up to Western standards.

What exactly are these western standards you place on such a high pedestal?

Police in the US routinely murder and assault citizens with little comeback.

Police in Australia lie, perjure themselves in court and fabricate evidence. It happens all the time.

Read this and tell me you would have faith in any Australian cop.

http://www.smh.com.a...0630-219m3.html

I was referring to another post. As far as I'm concerned, at least the corruption in Thailand is visible, unlike the west.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You'll find that Thailand is a far less developed country than the ones you mention, so it's hardly surprising that the police force and other institutions don't come up to Western standards.

You have no statistics to support that statement and need to stop watching television cop shows.

Er, what sanction did the police who beat up Rodney King get?

You have no statistics to support that statement and need to stop watching television cop shows.

Er, what sanction did the police who beat up Rodney King get?

and you would call something like that routinely happening?

• Like 1

I belive that things will change for the better.....

But 2 weeks ago I saw a local Thai who where out of prison ???

He was sent to prison, 6 month ago, for robbing and killing an old woman not

far from where I live....

But .. They might have found out he was innocent...Who knows..

The local Thai's tell me he have a "big" family.

I feel much safer in phuket than I do back in Sydney.

No home invasions and drunken violence on every pub corner.

Phuket has its problems but doesn't everywhere?

I am happy that YOU feel safe here, but you may want to refresh your memory by reading these links. There are many home invasions and drunken brawls here. I have picked just a few of the more high profile ones recently.

Yes, Phuket has it's problems, the same as everywhere, but the problems here are getting bigger and negative incidents more frequent. The amount of victims are piling up.

http://www.phuketgazette.net/archives/articles/2012/article16023.html

http://www.phuketgazette.net/archives/articles/2012/article11909.html

http://www.phuketgazette.net/archives/articles/2011/article11697.html

Iceman: with all due respect, maybe you need to go back and re-read posts #89 and #95

In other words, your experience here and that of regular posters cannot be construed to be representative of the average experience of the Phuket resident or visitor..

Please provide objective data (e.g., crimes per capita, including in the denominator the hundreds of thousands of non-registered Phuket residents and tourists in that calculation of the risk of an assault)

• Like 1

Iceman: with all due respect, maybe you need to go back and re-read posts #89 and #95

In other words, your experience here and that of regular posters cannot be construed to be representative of the average experience of the Phuket resident or visitor..

Please provide objective data (e.g., crimes per capita, including in the denominator the hundreds of thousands of non-registered Phuket residents and tourists in that calculation of the risk of an assault)

With respect to you TaoNow, I simply disagree. A simple and easy example as to why I disagree can be found in the tuk-tuk situation here.

Do YOU think Phuket has a decent public transport system, I don't. If I posted that question as a poll, I think 99% of tourist, expats and locals would agree Phuket does not have a proper public transport system, so, I think it is safe to say that any negative post I make about the transport system on Phuket DOES represent the view of a large sector of the community.

In relation to accurate crime statistics, we both know that is impossible with such a corrupt Governing body and police department here, however, a quick read of the PG everyday shows a fatal motor vehicle accident every second day, and recently, a murder every other day in between.

Just today there was ANOTHER tuk-tuk driver assault on a tourist which is the subject of another thread.

I would be happy to analyse any statistics you care to produce that shows crime, violence, theft, assaults, murders, motor vehicle fatalities, scams, extortions, rip offs etc are stable, or even on the decline, because I think you will find they are not and are in fact on the increase.

The fact that there isn't a proper transport system and how that lack of a proper transport system affects everybody, is two completely different topics. It's your view on the latter that is being questioned I believe.

Please explain who these are two different topics?

The reality is as long as these issues are brushed under the carpet and the perpetrators a defended like on this forum then nothing will ever change in Phuket. I agree avoid Phuket at all costs til they learn how to treat guests who visit them with respect and Courtesy not as a cash cow to be milked.

The fact that there isn't a proper transport system and how that lack of a proper transport system affects everybody, is two completely different topics. It's your view on the latter that is being questioned I believe.

I've got to agree. If there was a public transport system, it would be used extensively by tourists and low income residents, as the local buses are used now.

I think local expats would still use their private transport, rather than use a bus. Pretty much the same all over the world.

• Like 1

Sure you can find more crime in certain parts of London, Sydney and New York. But here is a clue - They Are Not Tourist Destinations! If anything the opposite is true. If you are trying excuse the situation by attempting to compare Phuket's crime statistics favourably with some of the most crime blighted spots on the planet, then you really _are_ living in Fantasy Land.

Compare like with like. Which other tourist destinations have similar patterns of crime. Once upon a time, South Beach Miami might have done; no longer. Agra perhaps? It is a tough job to find anywhere that consistently gets so much bad press _as a tourist destination_ as Phuket.

Sure you can find more crime in certain parts of London, Sydney and New York. But here is a clue - They Are Not Tourist Destinations! If anything the opposite is true.

Are you kidding??? You have just named 3 of the biggest tourist destinations on 3 differant continents!

I've got to agree. If there was a public transport system, it would be used extensively by tourists and low income residents, as the local buses are used now.

I think local expats would still use their private transport, rather than use a bus. Pretty much the same all over the world.

I totally disagree. A trip to Pattaya will show you the use of the baht buses by many expats.

Do you "think local expats would still use their private transport, rather than use a bus" if they have been on a night out drinking????

Do you seriously think that the lack of public transport here DOES NOT have a direct correlation on road fatalities, particularly motor cycle collisions?

I think you will find the toxicology tests of the deceased persons of a motor vehicle accident that occurs late at night would reveal a high blood alcohol content. If there was a baht bus system here, do you think many may have left the bike at home, gone out drinking and catch the baht bus home, thus, making it home alive - just like they do in Pattaya????

Does not having the option to do that, because there is no public transport here, have a direct effect on decisions we make when getting from point A to point B?

When you have no real options/choices - in my opinion, you have been effected????

Edited by NamKangMan

Sure you can find more crime in certain parts of London, Sydney and New York. But here is a clue - They Are Not Tourist Destinations! If anything the opposite is true. If you are trying excuse the situation by attempting to compare Phuket's crime statistics favourably with some of the most crime blighted spots on the planet, then you really _are_ living in Fantasy Land.

Compare like with like. Which other tourist destinations have similar patterns of crime. Once upon a time, South Beach Miami might have done; no longer. Agra perhaps? It is a tough job to find anywhere that consistently gets so much bad press _as a tourist destination_ as Phuket.

Sure you can find more crime in certain parts of London, Sydney and New York. But here is a clue - They Are Not Tourist Destinations! If anything the opposite is true.

Are you kidding??? You have just named 3 of the biggest tourist destinations on 3 differant continents!

Exactly - UK alone had 32 million foreign tourists visiting in 2011 as opposed to Thailand's 15 million.

Edited by simple1

I think he means there is a difference between "holiday destinations" and "tourist destination."

Holiday destinations are for rest and relaxation and tourist desinations are for cultural, historic, religious etc etc reasons.

Phuket is predominantly a holiday destination.

The Baht buses in Pattaya ply the areas where there are lots of hotels, bars and restaurants, not where the local expats actually live.

Most expats that I know in Pattaya use their own transport.

Yes, I do believe that the lack of public transport contributes to motorbike accidents, but, usually to tourists that are not used to road conditions, or, Thais that drive like lunatics anyway.

Do you really think that even if transport wasn't stitched up as it is now taht Baht buses would be operating in the Rawai, Chalong areas in the evening? Dream on.

I think he means there is a difference between "holiday destinations" and "tourist destination."

Holiday destinations are for rest and relaxation and tourist desinations are for cultural, historic, religious etc etc reasons.

He did reference Agra which is a cultural attraction, so I suggest your analysis is not correct???

The Baht buses in Pattaya ply the areas where there are lots of hotels, bars and restaurants, not where the local expats actually live.

Most expats that I know in Pattaya use their own transport.

Yes, I do believe that the lack of public transport contributes to motorbike accidents, but, usually to tourists that are not used to road conditions, or, Thais that drive like lunatics anyway.

Do you really think that even if transport wasn't stitched up as it is now taht Baht buses would be operating in the Rawai, Chalong areas in the evening? Dream on.

Baht buses run far and wide in Pattaya. They traverse the whole city. Many expats use them.

Why wouldn't baht buses run from Rawai to Patong in the afternoon and from Patong to Rawai at night, stopping off at Karon, Kata etc. It's what this island needs. Obviously, a long run like that wouldn't be 10 baht a ride, but it shouldn't be 800 baht like it is now.

He did reference Agra which is a cultural attraction, so I suggest your analysis is not correct???

One thing is for sure, all the places he mentioned have a proper public transport system, even Agra. Strange how a developing nation like India (3rd world country) can have better public transport than a wealthy tropical island like Phuket.

There's a difference between a 'holiday' destination and a 'tourist' destination? I don't think so.

There's a difference between a 'holiday' destination and a 'tourist' destination? I don't think so.

Agree, splitting hairs there a bit me thinks.

Baht buses run far and wide in Pattaya. They traverse the whole city. Many expats use them.

Why wouldn't baht buses run from Rawai to Patong in the afternoon and from Patong to Rawai at night, stopping off at Karon, Kata etc. It's what this island needs. Obviously, a long run like that wouldn't be 10 baht a ride, but it shouldn't be 800 baht like it is now.

No, the baht buses do not traverse the whole place. They certainly don't go near the housing estates on the "dark side" where most expats live.

Not a chance of baht buses in the evening in Rawai/Chalong. Would be nice but there just wouldn't be enough customers to make it worth-while.

No, the baht buses do not traverse the whole place. They certainly don't go near the housing estates on the "dark side" where most expats live.

Not a chance of baht buses in the evening in Rawai/Chalong. Would be nice but there just wouldn't be enough customers to make it worth-while.

They do go to the "dark side" if you do a deal with them. So, you and a few mates hire one, in a similar fashion to a tuk-tuk here, to go to the dark side and the prices are nowhere near like here. After they drop you off, they go back to their route.

I wouldn't expect baht buses to be based in Rawai/Chalong. However, I could see it being profitable to just ply the coast road by day for tourist wanting to swim at different beaches and shop at different markets, and at night for tourists and expats wanting to check out different bars along the coast. The customers and their money spreads around the island, lest traffic, less polution, less noise pollution, less drink driving/riding, less accidents, less death and injury, better transport infastructure - it all equals a better holiday experience for tourist.

Tourist staying in Patong may go down to Kata or Karon for a night out. Expats living in Rawai may come in to Patong for a night out. Would be great, but sadly, never happen. Only the Thai Army can clean this island up now.

• Like 1

Would be great, but sadly, never happen.

Can I ask you, if you know will never happen why are you talking about it on several threads at same time?

If the past 15 years when a license has been available and no takers have applied, it's a pretty good indication that those seeking a license want to not have broken limbs after the first day of the new route as what happened last time someone tried this. Feel free to apply and hire drivers though as it would be very profitable......................

• Like 1

Can I ask you, if you know will never happen why are you talking about it on several threads at same time?

If the past 15 years when a license has been available and no takers have applied, it's a pretty good indication that those seeking a license want to not have broken limbs after the first day of the new route as what happened last time someone tried this. Feel free to apply and hire drivers though as it would be very profitable......................

Sounds like a nice place. bah.gif

Because it's raining and I am stuck inside. smile.png

Seriously, we can only live in hope, but what is the point to your post on this thread????

Why have you commented about me commenting? smile.pngsmile.png

Edited by NamKangMan

They do go to the "dark side" if you do a deal with them. So, you and a few mates hire one, in a similar fashion to a tuk-tuk here, to go to the dark side and the prices are nowhere near like here. After they drop you off, they go back to their route.

So....you agree that there are no Baht bus routes to the Dark Side. Hiring one to go to a destination of your choosing changes it from a Baht bus to a taxi.

So....you agree that there are no Baht bus routes to the Dark Side. Hiring one to go to a destination of your choosing changes it from a Baht bus to a taxi.

Yes, there are no specific routes to the dark side, but the baht bus vehicles will go there/can go there. It's not a "no go zone" due to mafia.

I disagree that most of the expats live on the dark side. Many live in condos or apartments that are on baht bus routes.

Perception's a major issue - how safe do you 'feel'. I feel no safer here than back home. I would probably feel a bit safer if I was living in Rawai or Kamala, for example, but it's a lifestyle choice and I happen to prefer Patong (and no, I haven't been anywhere near Bangla in months). Yes, I've seen some incidents here just as I have in my home country. I agree with those who said one of the major problems is the attitude and dishonesty of so many police here - a stark contrast to back home. Fix that and perhaps other things will fall into place (including the power loss by the various mafia so that proper public transport services can be put in place). However, the fact is that despite the so-called crackdown directed from Bangkok, payola for police (amongst other things) is so entrenched here that it will take many, many years to chip away at it.

No doubt you,ll be hounded for being alarmist by both those who have vested interests in maintaining the facade of Thailand as a dream holidat destination and those who prefer to keep there heads burried in the sand.

Phuket truly is a wretched place, I was beaten unconcious by two Thais outside 7*11 around 3 years ago myself, all for the grand sum of around 600 bht.

check this link http://www.thephuket...amily-31469.php

The fact is the veil is really being lifted oh Thailand these days as the crooks and skum become ever bolder, with scams and deciets getting taken to a whole new level.

Just last week I had a Thai guy come up to outside the mall in Siam square and demand 20 bht, I politely said mai pen rai cap and moved away. The nutter started screaming and frothing at the mouth calling me everything under the sun. I do not doubt he was on the point of attacking me until the mall security overheard and started coming in my direction. He walked away pretending to shoot me with his finger.

These stories are everywhere everyday and soon people will start turning there backs on the place en masse.

I've also seen incidents like that in UK and USA. Not just a Thai problem. I've been here for 2 years and haven't seen any violent incidents at all. I've spent 6 months In New York and seen a few. And I've seen plenty of incidents like this in the UK. What you describe is just one mad person. It sounds like an isolated incident. I've been to Siam Square lots of times and never seen anything remotely like what you described.

Have you ever been to Phuket?

Edited by MAJIC