Avoid Phuket At All Costs: Crime Capital Of Asia

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lot of hype in this topic. Personally I have not felt unsafe in my 15+ years living here. Yes, sure I have had a couple of bad moments with road rage incidents. And I don't wander about the streets late at night, or use Tuk Tuks, or hire jet skis. Never had my own home burgled. Feel safer here than many other places I have lived or visited in a large number of other countries (Singapore would be the exception). On the other hand I use a lot of common sense and am aware of my surroundings.

Lot of hype in this topic. Personally I have not felt unsafe in my 15+ years living here. Yes, sure I have had a couple of bad moments with road rage incidents. And I don't wander about the streets late at night, or use Tuk Tuks, or hire jet skis. Never had my own home burgled. Feel safer here than many other places I have lived or visited in a large number of other countries (Singapore would be the exception). On the other hand I use a lot of common sense and am aware of my surroundings.

The target audience of this article is not the scores of ex-pats living their lives in their gated communities, with a modicum of safety from their security guards, supportive neighbours and influential friends. They know the pitfalls of living here and adjust their lifestyles to avoid them or some are as bad if not worse than the native criminals.

However, that is not true for the unsuspecting tourist who are lured to Phuket by the glossy adverts selling the lie of pristine beaches, cheap, carefree holidays, fun loving locals and a smiling tourist police ready to serve and defend them. Finally here an article that tells it like it is, forewarned is for-armed.

The target audience of this article is not the scores of ex-pats living their lives in their gated communities, with a modicum of safety from their security guards, supportive neighbours and influential friends. They know the pitfalls of living here and adjust their lifestyles to avoid them or some are as bad if not worse than the native criminals.

However, that is not true for the unsuspecting tourist who are lured to Phuket by the glossy adverts selling the lie of pristine beaches, cheap, carefree holidays, fun loving locals and a smiling tourist police ready to serve and defend them. Finally here an article that tells it like it is, forewarned is for-armed.

I feel that the people who fall for the glossy adverts are a dying breed. Internet has changed everything and news travels to every corner of the globe with a click.

Tourists arent as oblivious as you think.

I feel that the people who fall for the glossy adverts are a dying breed. Internet has changed everything and news travels to every corner of the globe with a click.

Tourists arent as oblivious as you think.

I agree they arent oblivious, but they do have a hidden agenda. For example the tour company that organised the orientation tours of Phuket for the group of travel agents, one of whom was stabbed to death in a failed handbag snatch. have made a statement on the TV news saying, dont let this incident put you off Phuket, as its a perfectly safe place to visit, this is a one off incident, or words to that effect.

Is he saying this because he believes it of because he has invested a lot of money in tour packages to Phuket?

PS: I include internet advertising in the glossy adverts, However most tourist would buy flights and hotel packages from travel agent rather than organise it all by themselves. PSS: Although these incidences are front page in the western media they wouldnt be very prominent in Chinese or Russian media so these will be the fresh meat.

What are you talking about. I have never lived in a gated community, security guards. I know very few expats living here on Phuket Island with that sort of facility. Most of us live alongside our Thai neighbours ....

Maybe you dont but many do. Anyway it was a fair call to make this generalisation after your statement, "On the other hand I use a lot of common sense and am aware of my surroundings" suggesting that in general most tourist dont.

What are you talking about. I have never lived in a gated community, security guards. I know very few expats living here on Phuket Island with that sort of facility. Most of us live alongside our Thai neighbours ....

Maybe you dont but many do. Anyway it was a fair call to make this generalisation after your statement, "On the other hand I use a lot of common sense and am aware of my surroundings" suggesting that in general most tourist dont.

Obviously you don't know much about life on Phuket Island. Most expats do not live in gated security guarded communities. And moving onto the common sense statement, many folks (local & tourist) go out and get very drunk thus placing themselves in a difficult situation. That's just a bit of NOT common sense.

What, you mean the road block that if you are completely legal with appropriate license and insurance, and wearing a helmet if you are on a bike, you get waived through with a smile? Those rip off road blocks?

Let's say so that Phuket or any other place is like an child who tries to grow up. Some day doing petty crime, like driving without an helmet is ignored and the another day it will be punished. Our child is very confused as it can not figure out what is ok and what is wrong.

On the bigger picture this child looks for others to learn. There is plenty of corruption and the corrupted people seems to the ones who get biggest share of the birthday cake - always. Child can associate that if he does not care of the others and be greedy, he will get most strawberries from the cake.

Obviously you don't know much about life on Phuket Island. Most expats do not live in gated security guarded communities. And moving onto the common sense statement, many folks (local & tourist) go out and get very drunk thus placing themselves in a difficult situation. That's just a bit of NOT common sense.

Most tourist are young and come to Phuket to get drunk and have a good time, TAT and the Phuket government know this and advertise Patong as a party area. They are happy to take their money they should also be happy to show a duty of care for them, rather than leave them to the mercy of the sharks. This is the core argument in this article, tourist arent safe in Phuket because the authorities and local treat them as ATMs not people, and blame the victims not the perpetrators. Meanwhile those charged with law enforcement are part of the problem not the solution.

I am quit sure 99.9 % of all thais and farrang on Phuket are descent people, that will help any tourist in need and do so. But sometimes shit happens......w00t.gif

Edited by Muggi1968
I am quit sure 99.9 % of all thais and farrang on Phuket are descent people, that will help any tourist in need and do so. But sometimes shit happens......w00t.gif

Realistically, its probably 75% are decent.

Realistically, its probably 75% are decent.

I would agree but I can see as the tourist numbers drop ever more criminals are attracted to the major tourist spots like moths to a flame.

My first impression of Phuket was, dam_n, this island is very expensive compared to Bangkok for food, tours and accommodation. I was totally shocked by the very large muslim presence on the Island.

The muslims very much remind me of the ones in Indonesia's Bali.

Some are friendly and easygoing but the others look at you like crap and try to rip you off any way they can.

After reading of all the crime and problems occuring on the Island I won't be taking my family back there ever again.

My first impression of Phuket was, dam_n, this island is very expensive compared to Bangkok for food, tours and accommodation. I was totally shocked by the very large muslim presence on the Island.

The muslims very much remind me of the ones in Indonesia's Bali.

Some are friendly and easygoing but the others look at you like crap and try to rip you off any way they can.

After reading of all the crime and problems occuring on the Island I won't be taking my family back there ever again.

Funny, my own experience is that the muslims are more honest in business dealings. Maybe that's because they don't have such a "pliable" set of morals?