Avoid Phuket At All Costs: Crime Capital Of Asia

You'll find that Thailand is a far less developed country than the ones you mention, so it's hardly surprising that the police force and other institutions don't come up to Western standards.

What exactly are these western standards you place on such a high pedestal?

Police in the US routinely murder and assault citizens with little comeback.

Police in Australia lie, perjure themselves in court and fabricate evidence. It happens all the time.

Read this and tell me you would have faith in any Australian cop.

http://www.smh.com.a...0630-219m3.html

I was referring to another post. As far as I'm concerned, at least the corruption in Thailand is visible, unlike the west.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You'll find that Thailand is a far less developed country than the ones you mention, so it's hardly surprising that the police force and other institutions don't come up to Western standards.

You have no statistics to support that statement and need to stop watching television cop shows.

Er, what sanction did the police who beat up Rodney King get?

You have no statistics to support that statement and need to stop watching television cop shows.

Er, what sanction did the police who beat up Rodney King get?

and you would call something like that routinely happening?

• Like 1

I belive that things will change for the better.....

But 2 weeks ago I saw a local Thai who where out of prison ???

He was sent to prison, 6 month ago, for robbing and killing an old woman not

far from where I live....

But .. They might have found out he was innocent...Who knows..

The local Thai's tell me he have a "big" family.

That is the 3rd dumbest thing I have ever read.

• Like 2

I feel much safer in phuket than I do back in Sydney.

No home invasions and drunken violence on every pub corner.

Phuket has its problems but doesn't everywhere?

I am happy that YOU feel safe here, but you may want to refresh your memory by reading these links. There are many home invasions and drunken brawls here. I have picked just a few of the more high profile ones recently.

Yes, Phuket has it's problems, the same as everywhere, but the problems here are getting bigger and negative incidents more frequent. The amount of victims are piling up.

http://www.phuketgazette.net/archives/articles/2012/article16023.html

http://www.phuketgazette.net/archives/articles/2012/article11909.html

http://www.phuketgazette.net/archives/articles/2011/article11697.html

Iceman: with all due respect, maybe you need to go back and re-read posts #89 and #95

In other words, your experience here and that of regular posters cannot be construed to be representative of the average experience of the Phuket resident or visitor..

Please provide objective data (e.g., crimes per capita, including in the denominator the hundreds of thousands of non-registered Phuket residents and tourists in that calculation of the risk of an assault)

• Like 1

Iceman: with all due respect, maybe you need to go back and re-read posts #89 and #95

In other words, your experience here and that of regular posters cannot be construed to be representative of the average experience of the Phuket resident or visitor..

Please provide objective data (e.g., crimes per capita, including in the denominator the hundreds of thousands of non-registered Phuket residents and tourists in that calculation of the risk of an assault)

With respect to you TaoNow, I simply disagree. A simple and easy example as to why I disagree can be found in the tuk-tuk situation here.

Do YOU think Phuket has a decent public transport system, I don't. If I posted that question as a poll, I think 99% of tourist, expats and locals would agree Phuket does not have a proper public transport system, so, I think it is safe to say that any negative post I make about the transport system on Phuket DOES represent the view of a large sector of the community.

In relation to accurate crime statistics, we both know that is impossible with such a corrupt Governing body and police department here, however, a quick read of the PG everyday shows a fatal motor vehicle accident every second day, and recently, a murder every other day in between.

Just today there was ANOTHER tuk-tuk driver assault on a tourist which is the subject of another thread.

I would be happy to analyse any statistics you care to produce that shows crime, violence, theft, assaults, murders, motor vehicle fatalities, scams, extortions, rip offs etc are stable, or even on the decline, because I think you will find they are not and are in fact on the increase.

The fact that there isn't a proper transport system and how that lack of a proper transport system affects everybody, is two completely different topics. It's your view on the latter that is being questioned I believe.

Please explain who these are two different topics?

The reality is as long as these issues are brushed under the carpet and the perpetrators a defended like on this forum then nothing will ever change in Phuket. I agree avoid Phuket at all costs til they learn how to treat guests who visit them with respect and Courtesy not as a cash cow to be milked.

The fact that there isn't a proper transport system and how that lack of a proper transport system affects everybody, is two completely different topics. It's your view on the latter that is being questioned I believe.

I've got to agree. If there was a public transport system, it would be used extensively by tourists and low income residents, as the local buses are used now.

I think local expats would still use their private transport, rather than use a bus. Pretty much the same all over the world.

• Like 1

Sure you can find more crime in certain parts of London, Sydney and New York. But here is a clue - They Are Not Tourist Destinations! If anything the opposite is true. If you are trying excuse the situation by attempting to compare Phuket's crime statistics favourably with some of the most crime blighted spots on the planet, then you really _are_ living in Fantasy Land.

Compare like with like. Which other tourist destinations have similar patterns of crime. Once upon a time, South Beach Miami might have done; no longer. Agra perhaps? It is a tough job to find anywhere that consistently gets so much bad press _as a tourist destination_ as Phuket.

Sure you can find more crime in certain parts of London, Sydney and New York. But here is a clue - They Are Not Tourist Destinations! If anything the opposite is true.

Are you kidding??? You have just named 3 of the biggest tourist destinations on 3 differant continents!

I've got to agree. If there was a public transport system, it would be used extensively by tourists and low income residents, as the local buses are used now.

I think local expats would still use their private transport, rather than use a bus. Pretty much the same all over the world.

I totally disagree. A trip to Pattaya will show you the use of the baht buses by many expats.

Do you "think local expats would still use their private transport, rather than use a bus" if they have been on a night out drinking????

Do you seriously think that the lack of public transport here DOES NOT have a direct correlation on road fatalities, particularly motor cycle collisions?

I think you will find the toxicology tests of the deceased persons of a motor vehicle accident that occurs late at night would reveal a high blood alcohol content. If there was a baht bus system here, do you think many may have left the bike at home, gone out drinking and catch the baht bus home, thus, making it home alive - just like they do in Pattaya????

Does not having the option to do that, because there is no public transport here, have a direct effect on decisions we make when getting from point A to point B?

When you have no real options/choices - in my opinion, you have been effected????

Edited by NamKangMan

Sure you can find more crime in certain parts of London, Sydney and New York. But here is a clue - They Are Not Tourist Destinations! If anything the opposite is true. If you are trying excuse the situation by attempting to compare Phuket's crime statistics favourably with some of the most crime blighted spots on the planet, then you really _are_ living in Fantasy Land.

Compare like with like. Which other tourist destinations have similar patterns of crime. Once upon a time, South Beach Miami might have done; no longer. Agra perhaps? It is a tough job to find anywhere that consistently gets so much bad press _as a tourist destination_ as Phuket.

Sure you can find more crime in certain parts of London, Sydney and New York. But here is a clue - They Are Not Tourist Destinations! If anything the opposite is true.

Are you kidding??? You have just named 3 of the biggest tourist destinations on 3 differant continents!

Exactly - UK alone had 32 million foreign tourists visiting in 2011 as opposed to Thailand's 15 million.

Edited by simple1

I think he means there is a difference between "holiday destinations" and "tourist destination."

Holiday destinations are for rest and relaxation and tourist desinations are for cultural, historic, religious etc etc reasons.

Phuket is predominantly a holiday destination.