Avoid Phuket At All Costs: Crime Capital Of Asia

george

I'm going to Patong in December, 1st time. YEs I have heard it's packed that time of year but I figure with more people around if I don't go looking for trouble I should be ok. Reading this thread does give me a bit of a worry.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perception's a major issue - how safe do you 'feel'. I feel no safer here than back home. I would probably feel a bit safer if I was living in Rawai or Kamala, for example, but it's a lifestyle choice and I happen to prefer Patong (and no, I haven't been anywhere near Bangla in months). Yes, I've seen some incidents here just as I have in my home country. I agree with those who said one of the major problems is the attitude and dishonesty of so many police here - a stark contrast to back home. Fix that and perhaps other things will fall into place (including the power loss by the various mafia so that proper public transport services can be put in place). However, the fact is that despite the so-called crackdown directed from Bangkok, payola for police (amongst other things) is so entrenched here that it will take many, many years to chip away at it.

I feel "safe" here in regards to my personal safety as well, but I do not feel safe due to Thai Law here. The possibility that if a Thai collides with me on a motorbike, or I stand my ground against a scam, and the police get involved, I will be the one to be extorted and have to pay.

I would suggest that only the Thai Army could clean the place up now. Government officials and public servants are all rotten to the core here.

I'm going to Patong in December, 1st time. YEs I have heard it's packed that time of year but I figure with more people around if I don't go looking for trouble I should be ok. Reading this thread does give me a bit of a worry.

What made you chose Phuket over other places in Thailand or other countries nearby?

Would be great, but sadly, never happen.

Can I ask you, if you know will never happen why are you talking about it on several threads at same time?

If the past 15 years when a license has been available and no takers have applied, it's a pretty good indication that those seeking a license want to not have broken limbs after the first day of the new route as what happened last time someone tried this. Feel free to apply and hire drivers though as it would be very profitable......................

Come now sp, lets be honest....the baht bus ran a whole 3 days before the driver was pulled from his bus and badly beaten by "competitors".

http://www.phuketgaz...ails.asp?id=703

tongue.png

Edited by NomadJoe

Would be great, but sadly, never happen.

Can I ask you, if you know will never happen why are you talking about it on several threads at same time?

If the past 15 years when a license has been available and no takers have applied, it's a pretty good indication that those seeking a license want to not have broken limbs after the first day of the new route as what happened last time someone tried this. Feel free to apply and hire drivers though as it would be very profitable......................

Come now sp, lets be honest....the baht bus ran a whole 3 days before the driver was pulled from his bus and badly beaten by "competitors".

http://www.phuketgaz...ails.asp?id=703

tongue.png

You're right, the first two days they were just warned. Funny the answer given could be in 2012, 2004, or 1994! Same answer, different year.