Settle Down In Isaan

bentje60

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Khmer although originating separately from Thai should be classed as a isaan dialect because it is spoken as a first language in three provinces of isaan namely surin,buri ram and sisaket the Khmer dialect used here is different from the Khmer spoken in Cambodia though very close native isaan Khmer speakers would not be understood in phnom phen

With regards to the Lao language it's spoken all over isaan in various forms as a rule the northern isaan provinces speak a purer type more like the official Lao language of Laos I live in surin where maybe a third of my village are ethnic Lao but there's a marked difference to the Lao used by my wife who's from nong khai

Huh?

Khmer is the language of the Cambodian people. Maybe it has morphed a bit over the last 40 years as the refugee Khmers intermarried with longer-standing Isaan dwellers but to call it a dialect of Issaan is like calling Urdu a dialect of English.

Maybe you would like to express your, somewhat mis guided, comments onto the vast majority of southern Buriram, Surin and Sisaket residents.

You seem to have over looked Suay language too. A language that was actually the first spoken language in Surin.

You may also like to look at the history of Buriram.The town was originally called Muang Pae and was ruled under the Khmer empire. In the late nineteenth century it was renamed Buriram and was incorporated into Thailand as a province.

So these languages appear to be more than something that has "morphed a littel over the last 40years".

oooh its turning into a bitch fest. who cares what language is. Not surprising most of the farang around here walk round with a permanent scowl.

Lighten up your in Thailand.

Not at all. It is just a shame that some people don't seem to be able to, or not wish to, embrace the great culture that is around us, but instead make unfounded comments about the local people and there ways.

I, personally, do care about the languages. It is facinating to read and learn about how they came about and have evolved.

Hardly ever a scowl on my face.tongue.pngclap2.giflaugh.pngclap2.giflaugh.pngclap2.giftongue.pngclap2.gif

Edited by puchooay

Your right, it is what it is. However by not learning the "language" (which ever you choose) in the country you are living in (especially if married to a person from that country) you are missing out. Just last night we had a 3 hour discussion on why it was "Farang" were generally taller and bigger than Thai's but that the Thai people were more solid muscle wise. We talked about diet, work habits, genetics, etc.. We also discussed the changing face of younger Thai people with the influence of Western foods and work habits (in general). My Father-in-law has never eaten a Pizza never wants to eat a pizza, but my brothers kid eats nothing but and he resembles a typical North American kid (fat and lazy). The other brother's kid is typical Thai, skinny, with the beginning of solid muscle being built and eats what the mother eats,. a lot of vegetables and chicken, fruit and rice.

So not sure what happens around everybody elses tables at night but these are the types of conversations we have and it would not be nearly as much fun if I were to be sitting on the outside of all of this not understanding a dam_n thing wondering why they are saying "Falang" so much. Why are they talking about me!

I see a lot of conflicts of opinion here. One that glares is the opinion that you should live as far away from her family as possible. Thais are a very social lot and family means a great deal to them. My wife's family lives in the next village and my wife spends a lot of time with them. I would never consider depriving her of the relationship with her family.

Her family respects the fact that I am a crotchety old fart and that I value my privacy. I live in my wife's house and the house is for the two of us. It was agreed before we married that her family members would never live in the same house as us. My truck is in my name and I still have a condo in Jomtien. She knows that I would move out quickly if her family were to move in with us.

Then there is the language. I don't care to socialize with the locals and I don't care if I fit in or not. I know enough Thai to get by but am certainly not fluent. Some farangs criticize me because I communicate with my wife using Thaiglish. It works for us even thought my wife continues to study and learn English. She normally spends several hours a week with the computer programs for learning English. Her vocabulary continues to expand. And yes, she has her own computers. I long ago came to the conclusion that I will never be able to catch or hear the subtle tones necessary for speaking fluent Thai.

Finally, yes, I have bought property for her and have wasted no money on lawyers trying to protect my investment. That investment is for her, not me. I could walk away from the property and losing my wife would hurt much more than losing the property. If worse comes to worse, I will always have a roof over my head and I won't miss any meals. My wife works very hard and I take some satisfaction in knowing that she would get along just fine without me.

I don't expect her to throw me out but one never knows. I am not the easiest person to live with. I don't go to family gatherings, weddings or funerals. I live exactly as I want. I even enjoy my own company. I do go to my favorite watering hole once or twice a week and I go down to Jomtien to see old friends several times a year. My wife is always invited to go with me but she is normally too busy. She has to take care of her chickens, ducks, fish and feed my dog. Her mother is willing to take care of things but she doesn't take care of things well enough to suit my wife.

Life in the boonies is good for me. My rather large work shop has nearly every tool I need and I like to tinker. I also have a lot of toys that I certainly don't need, but I enjoy playing with them. My major problem right now is that my dog gets bored staying at home and he has become well known in the village. It seems like every time I want to take him for a walk, he is not home. I refuse to put him on a chain and my wife always says it is up to him whether to stay home or run around. He weighs 45 KG and is the king of the village dogs. I guess he is happy.

• Like 1

Your right, it is what it is. However by not learning the "language" (which ever you choose) in the country you are living in (especially if married to a person from that country) you are missing out. Just last night we had a 3 hour discussion on why it was "Farang" were generally taller and bigger than Thai's but that the Thai people were more solid muscle wise. We talked about diet, work habits, genetics, etc.. We also discussed the changing face of younger Thai people with the influence of Western foods and work habits (in general). My Father-in-law has never eaten a Pizza never wants to eat a pizza, but my brothers kid eats nothing but and he resembles a typical North American kid (fat and lazy). The other brother's kid is typical Thai, skinny, with the beginning of solid muscle being built and eats what the mother eats,. a lot of vegetables and chicken, fruit and rice.

So not sure what happens around everybody elses tables at night but these are the types of conversations we have and it would not be nearly as much fun if I were to be sitting on the outside of all of this not understanding a dam_n thing wondering why they are saying "Falang" so much. Why are they talking about me!

Your pulling my leg this time, sat round having a conversation not related to rice, rubber or soap operas.

Last time any thing of interest came up was when a small delegation of local heads came. They wanted to know way US soldiers had killed the US President and would there be trouble.

It to a few minutes to dawn on me whet the hell they were on about, Osama Bin Laden. Jim

I only live in the village 2 months a year, I really hated it in the village when I first visited but over the years have grown to love it, we have our own house now, as lovely as my in laws are its more comfortable in your own place.

Referring to language, this is something I wish I had made more of an effort with, even though I haven't ever lived here full time and am crappy at languages, shouldn't have kept with the notion that it's impossible to learn.

So this year I plan to learn along with our daughters, trying to decide whether or not to learn Thai or issan (I am more inclined to think issan might be better as that's what everyone speaks in our village)

Your pulling my leg this time, sat round having a conversation not related to rice, rubber or soap operas.

Last time any thing of interest came up was when a small delegation of local heads came. They wanted to know way US soldiers had killed the US President and would there be trouble.

It to a few minutes to dawn on me whet the hell they were on about, Osama Bin Laden. Jim

As you have mentioned before, your grasp of local languages is not good.

I agree, most of the time the locals tend to partake in, for want of a better phrase, idle chat. They do this because they don't generally have knowledge of much that is going on in the world, because of the way Thai people are educated, or not as the case maybe, through no fault of their own.

Take a guy with a little bit of outside knowledge and a good grasp of local language and you really can get some good converstaions going.