Phuket MP Petitions PM Yingluck, Chalerm For More Police

webfact

Phuket MP petitions PM Yingluck, Chalerm for more police

Phuket Gazette

p1.jpeg

Phuket MP Raywat Areerob has asked Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra (above) to step in and help re-establish Phuket’s good name in the tourism industry. Photo: Atchaa Khamlo

p2.jpeg

Phuket MP Raywat Areerob requested an additional 600 police officers be assigned to Phuket in his letter to Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yubamrung (above). Photo: The Nation

PHUKET: -- One of Phuket’s two Members of Parliament is appealing for the Government to take immediate steps to shore up the island’s image following a highly-damning report by a Singapore-based website that brands Phuket: “The Crime Capital of Asia”.

The report which includes images sourced from the Phuket Gazette, without permission, describes Phuket as: “one of the worlds [sic] most dangerous destinations for foreign and local tourists and businessmen”.

Although the website purports to be a provider of accurate financial data for “high-net-worth individuals”, its report about Phuket provides no statistical data to back up its claim that crime rates in Phuket are higher than anywhere else in Asia.

The Gazette has requested through the website’s “contact us” section that all Phuket Gazette content be removed.

Phuket MP Raywat Areerob has sent two letters to top government officials requesting that steps be taken to restore the island’s positive image among tourists in response to the web article.

One letter was addressed to Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra requesting government help in regaining the positive image of tourism in Phuket.

“I would like to ask for help from the Government and others concerned to help foreigners and perspective tourists understand the current situation in Phuket,” explained MP Raywat.

The other letter was issued directly to Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yubamrung to express his appreciation of the police officers who arrested the two men for the fatal stabbing of Australian tourist Michelle Smith.

Catching those criminals was a really good way to start regaining the confidence of tourists before the beginning of high season, MP Raywat said in his letter.

“I also made one request in the letter to Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm; to provide Phuket with an extra 600 police officers to increase the safety of local residents and tourists,” he added.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...ticle16283.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-06-28

Prediction....

For the next few weeks, a few of the BiB will be high profile, walking the streets after clocking-off time, smiling at tourists (probably with clenched teeth) making sure that everything is hunkey dory in fantasy land.

When there have been no shootings, stabbings and poisonings for a bearable amount of time (locals don't count) it will all start over again.

Ain't gonna happen... The ignorance of the populace continue to kill themselves, dragging along with them, their peers & countrymen, as always. So pathetic, so sad. It's only a matter of time until Thailand becomes the scourge and black mark of Asia, and only by their own hand, greed and stupidity. Sigh...

Edited by yeeowww

I think this is better, when Phuket starts swarming with policemen it may discourage the criminals, however the damage to the reputation of Phuket has been done already. It may take a long time before Phuket returns to normal. Quite a lot of negative things about Phuket must change if the tourists are to be re-attracted. Especially the cost of things. Last month I had a frined of mine visit Thailand and he vaccationed in Phuket and Pattaya, he was impressed that Pattaya was so much cheaper than Phuket. He told me that next time he will select Pattaya instead. Not that it is an innocent city, there is crime in Pattaya too, but at the moment it seems a much better destiantion than Phuket...

But Phuket must be a safe place. According to statistics published on another Phuket news website, only 13 crimes have been committed against foreigners so far this year!

Yes, you did read that correctly, 13!

With the increase of tourist numbers years on years, the cake is becoming too big... Existing ones can't eat it all nowadays and Russian Mafia is stealing the crumbs....

Need more police please, those pesky Russians eating our crumbs :)

If the problem is that Phuket police refuse to cooperate with Bangkok police, or even allow them in to conduct their own investigations (as I've heard has been the case), then I don't see how adding police anywhere solves any problems. If Phuket police can't be trusted to pursue the bad guys in Phuket, and Bangkok police aren't going to be allowed in, then how does adding to either force do any good? This strikes me as typical political practice (and not just in Thailand) - just throw more money at it. Don't identify the actual problem, and don't even think about trying to root it out. But by all means appear to be speaking out and "suggesting solutions" - most people will be fooled by that.