Farang Bar In Khon Kaen

voodoomagicman

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Always like 'Chilled Bar' but no food as you say, Pies are ok in 'My Bar' but a complete 'farang bar' in Khon Kaen - would there be enough users - I personally not think so but................................................... please prove me wrong clap2.gif

Well the best run bar, which has falang food a live band and reasonable drink prices is no1 bar, which is currently on the market.

As for a gap in the market, know matter what concept you come up with there is not the customer base to be successful just my honest opinion.

Isn't No1 Bar owned by same as people as Blues Bar ??

Well the best run bar, which has falang food a live band and reasonable drink prices is no1 bar, which is currently on the market.

As for a gap in the market, know matter what concept you come up with there is not the customer base to be successful just my honest opinion.

Agreed, would not be just a bar, would have to have a marketable theme that could appeal to locals, a fine balance, maybe an Irish bar!!! :-) An American diner with bar attached. Would definately have to serve a Sunday roast.

Well I have just spent 6 weeks in Khon Kaen and I agree with previous posters you have to consider if there is the demand. Go around the Pullman and Blues Bar and see how many farang there are about in the week especially. No1 bar is a bit far out not near anywhere now NateNitePlaza gone.

If you want a good breakfast go to Rockys bar, Peter and Pam are a nice couple and the breakfasts are good but for dinner could try Italian pomodoro 3 doors away and then try and find a lively bar after. Went to The Club at CharoenThani hotel and two people in but this is a bit of a con as if you want company for the night you have to buy a room at the hotel 3,200B in total.

There is going to be an irish bar in a hotel which is being built out of an old 97/98 derelict shell along the road from the bus station. Scandinavain bar for sale near Kosa.

Don't remember chilled bar may have forgotten name if I went.

Think you have to find a market before you can find a gap in it. Not sure there is a market there.

Before I went I thought it may be a bit like Udon Thani, how wrong could I have been.

Good luck looking for the gap. Seven's corner os closed as well which was a long running bar.

No Erics bar same owner Blues bar.

I do think a well presented bar which has some decent money spent would at least cover its costs, got sell my house on Samui first, which is definately the hard bit at the moment !

Unless somebody wants to do a house swap? Koh Samui for Khon Kaen.

Scandanavian bar next to Eric's bar has closed down, No1 bar is currently being renovated, and in the the new Centara hotel there is a new English style pub opening called London inn which sounds promising.

There is a lot of new thai style bars opening that are well run and presented, wine bar themed.

Large TIGER at No. 1 Bar was 90 THB. Kind of a run down place. 4 Large LEOs for 200 THB near the city centre.......born on 6-26-2012. Most foreign bars fail miserably. The cards are clearly stacked against them. I come to Thailand to support Thai businesses and eat thai food. Western food cost about 4 times what I can make it for in the States. Not a big fan of hot dogs and eggs for breakfast, either. If there are no thai customers and no prices out fron...run don't walk, it's probably a big rip-off.

• Like 2

No Erics bar same owner Blues bar.

Yup - remember correctly now smile.png

Well I have just spent 6 weeks in Khon Kaen and I agree with previous posters you have to consider if there is the demand. Go around the Pullman and Blues Bar and see how many farang there are about in the week especially. No1 bar is a bit far out not near anywhere now NateNitePlaza gone.

If you want a good breakfast go to Rockys bar, Peter and Pam are a nice couple and the breakfasts are good but for dinner could try Italian pomodoro 3 doors away and then try and find a lively bar after. Went to The Club at CharoenThani hotel and two people in but this is a bit of a con as if you want company for the night you have to buy a room at the hotel 3,200B in total.

There is going to be an irish bar in a hotel which is being built out of an old 97/98 derelict shell along the road from the bus station. Scandinavain bar for sale near Kosa.

Think you have to find a market before you can find a gap in it. Not sure there is a market there.

Before I went I thought it may be a bit like Udon Thani, how wrong could I have been.

Good luck looking for the gap. Seven's corner os closed as well which was a long running bar.

Chilled Bar just down from Rockies towards Leo Bar - owned by a Swede ot Norwegian & his son's Thai wife. Used to have good nights in there

Sorry, wasn't there for years. Is the Italian with his delicious food still around? Was near a big hotel......coffee1.gif

Yes it is on the road at the side of the Pullman called Pomodoro and the food is still good.

Chilled Bar just down from Rockies towards Leo Bar - owned by a Swede ot Norwegian & his son's Thai wife. Used to have good nights in there

Thanks for the location. Yes there were two bars between Rockys and Leo Bar but I have to say Enjoy bar was rather dull and so was the other which is maybe Chilled Bar. At nights in the week just dead and not much enthusiasm from the staff either.

Large TIGER at No. 1 Bar was 90 THB. Kind of a run down place. 4 Large LEOs for 200 THB near the city centre.......born on 6-26-2012. Most foreign bars fail miserably. The cards are clearly stacked against them. I come to Thailand to support Thai businesses and eat thai food. Western food cost about 4 times what I can make it for in the States. Not a big fan of hot dogs and eggs for breakfast, either. If there are no thai customers and no prices out fron...run don't walk, it's probably a big rip-off.

Totally agree with you summation but I do like a good English breakfast.

I do think a well presented bar which has some decent money spent would at least cover its costs, got sell my house on Samui first, which is definately the hard bit at the moment !

Unless somebody wants to do a house swap? Koh Samui for Khon Kaen.

Scandanavian bar next to Eric's bar has closed down, No1 bar is currently being renovated, and in the the new Centara hotel there is a new English style pub opening called London inn which sounds promising.

There is a lot of new thai style bars opening that are well run and presented, wine bar themed.

London Inn will be a good addition but not exactly near anywhere else that's the only problem. Any takers for Scandinavian bar, she closed to go to her husband who apparently is not well. Was there when they had the closing party and it didn't seem to be exactly stacked with customers saying a farewell to old haunts.

voodoomagicman suggest you have a look at how well MyBar does. Decent looking bar and in the week dead same for Blues Bar. You could extend services by doing food but whatever you need customers. Thai bars do seem to do really well and it seems to be the farang don't create enough demand and there is enough Thai money about to the extent they don't need farang money.

The bar business here reminds me of an old, old episode of I Love Lucy. Lucy, Ricky, Fred, and Ethel are traveling and they stop at a Diner. Turns out the Diner is "For Sale." They decide it is a once in a lifetime opportunity and they buy it. After they discover they have to sell at a loss to do any business, the approach the old owner about buying it back. Of course, it is now worth 40 cents on the Dollar. And it turns out that the owner does this several times a year and it is very profitable for him. If I find it on Hulu, I will post it.

But more seriously, look at the people that will be buying your 6 Dollar hamburgers are Pot Pies....they would likely be here for a very short time, and will likely eat at your restaurant/bar once in their lives (if at all). Good or not. None of the Thais will be customers, and the long term expats here are generally stingy (like I am). So in the low season, you will lose, and then you will try to make it all in the high season, and then people will think you are greedy. It looks like there is quite a bit of competition here (A-men), and it seems like those willing to come to KK, would have no problem partying with the Thais. I've been here for four days and have seen a number of failed Western bars. Silver Saloon, and a couple of others that are closer to Pullman. I will be doing 30 THB large LEO drafts from 4-7 pm today. Saw the sign, yesterday.

The bar business here reminds me of an old, old episode of I Love Lucy. Lucy, Ricky, Fred, and Ethel are traveling and they stop at a Diner. Turns out the Diner is "For Sale." They decide it is a once in a lifetime opportunity and they buy it. After they discover they have to sell at a loss to do any business, the approach the old owner about buying it back. Of course, it is now worth 40 cents on the Dollar. And it turns out that the owner does this several times a year and it is very profitable for him. If I find it on Hulu, I will post it.

But more seriously, look at the people that will be buying your 6 Dollar hamburgers are Pot Pies....they would likely be here for a very short time, and will likely eat at your restaurant/bar once in their lives (if at all). Good or not. None of the Thais will be customers, and the long term expats here are generally stingy (like I am). So in the low season, you will lose, and then you will try to make it all in the high season, and then people will think you are greedy. It looks like there is quite a bit of competition here (A-men), and it seems like those willing to come to KK, would have no problem partying with the Thais. I've been here for four days and have seen a number of failed Western bars. Silver Saloon, and a couple of others that are closer to Pullman. I will be doing 30 THB large LEO drafts from 4-7 pm today. Saw the sign, yesterday.

30 THB large LEO i will buy his whole stock at that price, it is 500 THB a box of 12 biggrin.png I go thai bars but ends up costing me more at these bars than i ever spend in falang bars due to the food my girlfriend can consumewub.png but i do enjoy the atmosphere in the thai bars.

By the way a Swedish friend of mine is having his 60th birthday on monday night at no1 bar, should be a good night as him and his mate are only over here for 2 weeks and really enjoy a good drink, welcome to come along.burp.gif

it is 30 thb for what they call a large draft, which is about 325 ml. Small bottles of Leo are 55 THB. I did a few and went back to the 4 large bottles for 200 at the Thai place, which unfortunately was lacking in the female department, except for the stunningly beautiful Leo Girl. I'm not sure if I'm old and grumpy enough for a full night at No. 1 bar. I did pop my head into Harem and they are charging 129 FOR A SMALL LEO. Thank you Chinese businessmen.

it is 30 thb for what they call a large draft, which is about 325 ml. Small bottles of Leo are 55 THB. I did a few and went back to the 4 large bottles for 200 at the Thai place, which unfortunately was lacking in the female department, except for the stunningly beautiful Leo Girl. I'm not sure if I'm old and grumpy enough for a full night at No. 1 bar. I did pop my head into Harem and they are charging 129 FOR A SMALL LEO. Thank you Chinese businessmen.

Harem some nice eye candy in therewink.png hah draft Leo now i get you, still not a bad deal, have you tried Tawan Dang yet? I enjoy going there and also Top West i like too.

Anyway offers there for monday night cheers. nev

Walked the entertainment area last night at about midnight. Many bars with none or one customers. What about the Karaoke place that you get a private room with a girl for an hour 150 for the bar and 200 for the girl...that's a bit of a new one on me.

Walked the entertainment area last night at about midnight. Many bars with none or one customers. What about the Karaoke place that you get a private room with a girl for an hour 150 for the bar and 200 for the girl...that's a bit of a new one on me.

Don't think this is the forum to discuss what you have stated above, but they do exist buting being falang you will find it jumps to 500 baht.

Agree about bars being dead but i ended up in no1 bar at around 9pm and by 10 pm over 20 people in, and also the new set up for the bar has made the place look bigger.

Khon kaen is not a tourist destination only short term stay drinkers here so a business is bound to fail or not make any money, The only reason the circus around the pullman exists is for the guys who come to meet their thai love links girls then they move on.

Khon kaen is not a tourist destination only short term stay drinkers here so a business is bound to fail or not make any money, The only reason the circus around the pullman exists is for the guys who come to meet their thai love links girls then they move on.

And you will also find a lot of TG's that have met there falang on the internet do not like taking there future ATM to the falang bars as they do not want them talking to other falang's, especially the local falang as they know to much.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Well I offer sincere good luck to anyone who wants to open a farang bar in KK. A lot of hard work but also a lot of fun if things work out well.

That said, the description above isn't exactly the wish list of your typical American in KK. English Pizza?

Harem some nice eye candy in therewink.png hah draft Leo now i get you, still not a bad deal, have you tried Tawan Dang yet? I enjoy going there and also Top West i like too.

Where is the new Dawan Daeng? Only been to the old one.

Where is the new Dawan Daeng? Only been to the old one.

Well to confuse you even more...the old one is now the new one(REFURB). biggrin.png which is opposite big C .....The other one is in the centre of town if going under the arch at central carry on past the temple roundabout over two cross junctions which have lights and then turn left if you go at night just ask for directions in that area and you should end up in Kalasin tongue.png