Australian Ambassador Calls For Phuket Weapons Ban

webfact

Australian Ambassador calls for Phuket weapons ban

Phuket Gazette

a.jpeg

WISE MOVE? Australian Ambassador James Wise today called for an island-wide ban on carrying weapons on Phuket. Photo: Atchaa Khamlo

PHUKET: -- Australian Ambassador to Thailand James Wise today called for police to launch an island-wide crackdown on weapons, including those carried by tuk-tuk drivers.

Speaking after a high-level meeting at Phuket Provincial Hall, Amb Wise said the recent fatal stabbing of Australian tourist Michelle Smith had put a spotlight on public safety in Phuket.

“There has been massive media coverage in Australia of this and it will have an effect on some people who would otherwise have come to Phuket – that is only human nature,” he said.

Amb Wise said the Australian authorities were very pleased that the Thai police were able to find the suspects. “They have been charged and they will now face the courts of Thailand, as they should, but that of course is really not much comfort at all for the family of Mrs Smith,” he said.

“I would hope that – given the nature of the crime – the police will move very quickly to confiscate knives and guns and other weapons which people are carrying in Phuket. I understand tuk-tuk drivers quite often have weapons. They shouldn’t have weapons. They don’t need weapons to drive a tuk-tuk,” he said.

Amb Wise suggested that one way authorities could encourage tuk-tuk drivers to stop carrying weapons was to not only to confiscate the weapons found, but also impound the tuk-tuks.

He pointed out that ever since his installment as Ambassador to Thailand in 2010, the authorities in Phuket have been calling for stronger support from the central government in Bangkok.

He explained that he and other ambassadors met with senior officials in Bangkok several months ago to discuss such issues, and that another meeting was scheduled for July 11.

“At that meeting we will also be drawing to the central government’s attention our concerns, but also conveying to the central government the very strong wish of the authorities here in Phuket for strong support from the central authorities,” he said.

Amb Wise pointed out that most Australians who visit Phuket have a trouble-free visit here.

“Overwhelmingly, the Australians who come here have a wonderful holiday and many of them come back. Phuket remains a very attractive destination for Australians, but the case of Mrs Smith last week – the very, very tragic murder of Mrs Smith – does put a spotlight on the security situation here in Phuket.

“I think it provides an opportunity for us in the diplomatic community, for local authorities here and for local people here to say, ‘Look, enough is enough. We need to fix some of these problems that we have been talking about for years – but let’s take this opportunity to deal with these issues, to fix these issues, not just talk about them,” he said.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...ticle16299.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-06-30

Calls for Thailand to protect tourists

CRAIG SKEHAN

PHUKET: -- THE Australian government has called on Thai authorities to clamp down on violence, extortion and scams against foreign tourists on the resort island of Phuket.

The call comes after the June 20 stabbing murder of 60-year-old Michelle Smith by a bag-snatcher. Australia's ambassador to Thailand, James Wise, yesterday flew in from Bangkok to meet provincial leaders and senior police.

There have been concerted attempts by honorary consuls from countries including Australia, Germany, the Netherlands and Britain to ensure a crackdown on thugs and organised criminal rip-offs.

But bloody assaults have continued unabated - often carried out by the operators of taxi services as well as various touts and scam merchants.

Scams include gross overcharging of tourists by some taxis and tuk tuks, as well as demands for huge cash payments for allegedly damaged jet skis that have been hired on Phuket's beaches. Another racket centres on renting motorcycles and then arranging to have them stolen by an accomplice. The luckless visitor is then made to pay thousands of dollars.

In both the jet ski and motorcycle abuses, tourists have little room to manoeuvre as they have already handed over their passports as security and the criminals have links to corrupt Phuket police and politicians.

Full story: http://www.caseyweek...ts/2608728.aspx

-- CASEY WEEKLY 2012-06-30

footer_n.gif

It's a start........put the robbing scum under pressure, and put the Thai authorities under pressure. We as individuals are powerless, we need our Governments to make a concerted effort. Only through them will have any chance of seeing an improvement.

I regret it took the Murder of Ms Smith to bring it to pass ( RIP Ms Smith ), I commend the Australian authorities for taking the initiative. wai.gif

• Like 1

We can do a litle by our self-I wrote last week to my Embasy and told them about how often we heare about killings and so-and asked them why they dont do anything-when we have flooding,demonstrations and so-they warn people about going here-but not about all those killings.

Then I send a new mail every time I read about a new case-almost every day-and finaly I got an answer.

The scandinavian and European countries,watch all this very care fully,and have meetings whit the thai goverment about it-but I think,that the only way our voices will be heard,are if every one,wrote to their Embasy or goverment and ask for some kind of action, against all this.

No weapons? How will the tourists defend themselves?

Since I am an ex-cop, I had a long time expat friend of mine ask me in the wake of all these stabbings, murders and attacks on foreigners what weapon he should buy for self defense. I suggested getting an ASP expandable baton and pepper spray. This is, after all, what the foreign Tourist Police Volunteers carry. The hard part is keeping it where you can get to it quickly when you need it.

Edited by NomadJoe

Till tourists stop coming to Phuket, nothing will change, and why does anyone think that weapons will be banned there? Being naive, in my opinion.

Crime will continue, for the usual reason, and all the hand wringing in the world won't change a thing.

If the Oz gov't is serious, put a ban on travel there, so the travel insurance companies won't cover anyone, and that MIGHT have some effect. Being Canute is pointless.

No weapons? How will the tourists defend themselves?

Since I am an ex-cop, I had a long time expat friend of mine ask me in the wake of all these stabbings, murders and attacks on foreigners what weapon he should buy for self defense. I suggested getting an ASP expandable baton and pepper spray. This is, after all, what the foreign Tourist Police Volunteers carry. The hard part is keeping it where you can get to it quickly when you need it.

Girls should have no problem. whistling.gif

• Like 1

An related article in Yesterdays Sydney Morning Herald Warning Aussies mentioning the scams . http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/political-news/calls-for-thailand-to-protect-tourists-20120629-217yt.html.

However there are a lot of people /companies who have a lot invested in Phuket Tourism and they will fight any boycott. JetStar and Qantas are just two so in reality everything else is just farting in the wind for all the good it will achieve.

An related article in Yesterdays Sydney Morning Herald Warning Aussies mentioning the scams . http://www.smh.com.a...0629-217yt.html.

However there are a lot of people /companies who have a lot invested in Phuket Tourism and they will fight any boycott. JetStar and Qantas are just two so in reality everything else is just farting in the wind for all the good it will achieve.

In today's Sunday Times(UK) travel section i will give you the headline and then a quote. Ref Michelle Smith

THAI TOURISM CHIEF DISMISSES MURDER.

Yet Mr Sarayuth Mallam told a tourisim summit last week that "just one" murder was less important than tackling everyday tourist rip off's Mallam also urged local media to be aware that "when you present bad news this has a bad effect on the tourist industry"

Can you believe the thinking that you can stand up at a meeting and say this.

An related article in Yesterdays Sydney Morning Herald Warning Aussies mentioning the scams . http://www.smh.com.a...0629-217yt.html.

In today's Sunday Times(UK) travel section i will give you the headline and then a quote. Ref Michelle Smith

THAI TOURISM CHIEF DISMISSES MURDER.

Yet Mr Sarayuth Mallam told a tourisim summit last week that "just one" murder was less important than tackling everyday tourist rip off's Mallam also urged local media to be aware that "when you present bad news this has a bad effect on the tourist industry"

Can you believe the thinking that you can stand up at a meeting and say this.

Yes.