Swedish Road Deaths: Crash Driver Sentencing Deferred – Again

Lite Beer

Swedish Road Deaths: Crash driver sentencing deferred – again

Phuket Gazette –

phuket-1-16310ZrRirrZAoYWwxJrLoBkpvNNgCM.jpg

The four Swedish tourists and their Thai driver travelling in the Toyota Altis (pictured) were killed instantly. Photo: Gazette file

phuket-4-16311XwLgMrtiOXGwmblwgViXJkQOeC.jpg

27-year-old Muhummadyukee Jehyusoh. Photo: Gazette file

PHUKET: The handing down of the court sentence to the driver of a refrigerator truck that killed four Swedish tourists and their Thai driver in Phang Nga early in February, has been deferred for the second time, the Phuket Gazette has learned.

The driver, 27-year-old Muhummadyukee Jehyusoh, turned himself in to Khok Kloy Police on February 3, two days after the refrigerator truck he was driving crossed over a median strip in Khok Kloy District and crashed head-on into a compact car driven by 26-year-old Wichit Phromluang of Udon Thani.

It is still unknown what caused Mr Muhummadyukee to lose control of the vehicle; he was en route to Phuket with a shipment of fish when the tragedy occurred at 7am.

Mr Wichit and his four Swedish passengers, on their way to Koh Tao in Surat Thani, were all killed instantly in the incident.

Mr Muhummadyukee walked away from the collision unhurt and fled on foot, but surrendered himself to police after conferring with his employers at the Chotepatama Company in Narathiwat.

The Swedes were identified as: Johan Svensson, 21, and his girlfriend Frida Falk, 22; and Tobias Larsson, 21, and his girlfriend Elin Hedbris, 21.

News of the tragedy made international headlines and sent the town of Varberg in Sweden, from which all four hailed, into a state of mourning.

Mr Muhummadyukee was released on 300,000-baht bail three days after the crash. He was originally expected to appear in court on February 14, but that court date was later deferred until June 19.

After Mr Muhummadyukee did not appear in court on June 19 as scheduled, an officer at the Phang Nga Provincial Court confirmed that the sentencing had been deferred again until July 26.

The Phang Nga Public Prosecutor involved in the case told the Gazette that he had been informed of the court postponement, but declined to give further details.

When the Gazette called the Phang Nga Court on June 21, an officer there said a representative of the insurance company that insured the truck for the Chotepatama Company had told the court that his firm had agreed to pay out 1 million baht to the families of each of the deceased Swedish tourists.

As he failed to produce any documentation to back up this claim, the court ordered him to produce proof of payment on July 26, the official said.

The insurance company had already reached a settlement with the family of Mr Wichit, but the exact amount paid to the family was unknown because the case file had been transferred to another department, the officer said.

Mr Muhummadyukee has already been charged with one count of reckless driving resulting death, which carries a maximum sentence of 10 years in prison and a maximum fine of 20,000 baht, or both.

He also faces an additional charge for fleeing the scene of the accident, a court official said.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/archives/articles/2012/article16310.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-07-01

"After Mr Muhummadyukee did not appear in court on June 19 as scheduled, an officer at the Phang Nga Provincial Court confirmed that the sentencing had been deferred again until July 26."

So I assume there is a warrent out for his arrest ??? Amazing Thailand

"After Mr Muhummadyukee did not appear in court on June 19 as scheduled, an officer at the Phang Nga Provincial Court confirmed that the sentencing had been deferred again until July 26."

So I assume there is a warrent out for his arrest ??? Amazing Thailand

No, why? They collected their 300,000 Baht, so the courts are happy.

The poor family members must be appalled by these events, I feel for them and would also like to see them 'dig their heals in'.

I certainly hope the stupidity and incompetency shown by the idiots running the justice department makes international news headlines along side other recent events around the Phuket area.

What is it going to take to send a 'wake up' call to these fruit loops governing/policing Phuket.

The poor family members must be appalled by these events, I feel for them and would also like to see them 'dig their heals in'.

I certainly hope the stupidity and incompetency shown by the idiots running the justice department makes international news headlines along side other recent events around the Phuket area.

What is it going to take to send a 'wake up' call to these fruit loops governing/policing Phuket.

Nothing to do with Phuket.

The maximum fine if it is imposed is 20,000 baht. Yes, still a fair amount for the average Thai worker but in the scheme of things it is bugger-all. Whenever these maximum fines are posted I wonder how long ago these amounts were set and if they are ever amended.

Of course most of us would like to se a harsh custodial sentence for this crime but taking the above into context, Stevenl is absolutely right.

The maximum fine if it is imposed is 20,000 baht. Yes, still a fair amount for the average Thai worker but in the scheme of things it is bugger-all. Whenever these maximum fines are posted I wonder how long ago these amounts were set and if they are ever amended.

Of course most of us would like to se a harsh custodial sentence for this crime but taking the above into context, Stevenl is absolutely right.

"in the scheme of things it is bugger-all" - ummm, let's see. He directly contributed to the deaths of 5 people. Fine 20,000 baht, divided by 5 lives, equals 4000 baht per life taken. (20,000 / 5 = 4000)

I would like to think that my life is worth more than 4000 baht here, but sadly, I know it is not. Trouble is, I have to explain this to my family back home who certainly can not see any justice here should I become the victim of any foul play, so, I certainly feel for the victim's family's, who, as part of the grieving process, need to feel some sense of justice. It's a disgrace.

Ahhh, no one is actually Governing or Policing Phuket at the moment. They are just lining their own pockets, hence, Phuket has the problems that it has and is only going to get worse.

? Nothing to do with Phuket?

stevenl you have a way of saying thing that others do not understand.

Or do you like just being cryptic?

? Nothing to do with Phuket?

stevenl you have a way of saying thing that others do not understand.

Or do you like just being cryptic?

Not cryptic if you read the original post and/or know about this case. The accident and hence all subsequent legal action took place in Phang Nga, not Phuket.

You're right ... it's basically like that all over Thailand .... !! But hey ... let's face it ... Phuket takes the top of it these days wothout a doubt !!

You're right ... it's basically like that all over Thailand .... !! But hey ... let's face it ... Phuket takes the top of it these days wothout a doubt !!

In the press, yes.

The picture of the car wreck in which the victims were traveling is quite shocking. Looks more like a collision with a 50 ton tank.

That's what happens when a 2 tonner fridge truck travelling at speed runs over a light car. Yes, it is shocking. 5 souls died ....