What Food Do You Miss The Most In Thailand And Crave?

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I miss Taco Bell...

but, yeah...you got the right spirit; if you can't find what you like then check the local ingredients and make it yerself!

I could kick meself as I have all the ingredients for pizza and an oven but never got around to making it and now I'm leaving fer work for 2 years in the Middle East...a thread on pizza crust would get a lot of response on thaivisa...

tobacco to roll cigarettes, like "samson" or "drum"...

breadrolls, or normal bread, maybe with grains, that doesnt taste like cardboard, yoghurt which isnt sweetened or whatever is in it, even if it says its plain yoghurt... cheese from the roll, sliced, like edam, butter cheese... croissants, which taste like croissants, not just look so...

and yes, wheat-noodles, like spaghetti - it just doesnt taste, and you have to order three portions to get full...

Edited by dingdang

A proper breakfast. Nowhere in Asia can do it right that I've found.

Not many places in the UK either Smokie! DIY is best.

Visit any of the Apex hotels in Edinburgh Santi...you will understand what I mean.

But you're right....I can make better....oh the cafe inside Borough Market in London does a superb breakfast too. Maria's I think.

breadrolls, or normal bread, maybe with grains, that doesnt taste like cardboard, yoghurt which isnt sweetened or whatever is in it, even if it says its plain yoghurt... cheese from the roll, sliced, like edam, butter cheese... croissants, which taste like croissants, not just look so...

and yes, wheat-noodles, like spaghetti - it just doesnt taste, and you have to order three portions to get full...

if we include tobacco then I could do with some Copenhagen snuff from the US so as to avoid smoking crap cigarettes...

here is tutsi at the customs inspection at the airport in Jeddah with 60 cans just purchased at the Dubai duty free and the local official came racing around from the x-ray video screen to investigate...'what's all this???' tutsi, calmly: 'it's snuff so that I don't haveta smoke and you don't sell it in saudi..' the official: 'and you intend to use all of that yerself???'...'sure, why not?' and then they let me go...

if we include tobacco then I could do with some Copenhagen snuff from the US so as to avoid smoking crap cigarettes...

here is tutsi at the customs inspection at the airport in Jeddah with 60 cans just purchased at the Dubai duty free and the local official came racing around from the x-ray video screen to investigate...'what's all this???' tutsi, calmly: 'it's snuff so that I don't haveta smoke and you don't sell it in saudi..' the official: 'and you intend to use all of that yerself???'...'sure, why not?' and then they let me go...

haha....I got done at the Channel Tunnel..."Where is your passport?" says the cute young French girl...."I can't find it...you'll have to search me!" says smokie...."Show me...show me...." says cute French tottie....well....I showed her....and have been living illegally in the UK ever since....

Proper Fish & Chips

Sent from iPhone; please forgive any typos or violations of forum rules

chips I agree...but fish I find is usually fresher in Thailand and I'm not a massive fan of battered fish anyway. But yeah...proper twice fried chips...definitely....

• Like 2

Jambalaya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Make it yourself.

http://www.youtube.c...query=jambalaya

Have to make your own Cajun seasoning but shouldn't be an issue getting the stuff in BKK. I gave up on Samui so ordered a case of 'slap ya mama' from Louisiana.

http://slapyamama.com/

Oh my god! I was salivating while reading the slap website.

A lot of the things on this thread can be found readily in Chiang Mai including whole grain bread/rolls, unsweetened yogurt, croissants and spaghetti. Some of these posters must live way out in the boonies as these things have been common in some places for many years.

There are a few places making very decent breakfasts too, but American style, rather than British. I do like the British breakfast at Mad Dogs, but am not sure it stacks up to one in the UK.

The thing that I miss the most would be good pizza, but the Duke's makes pretty good ones for Thailand. I did really miss good Mexican food, but Miguel's is good enough to satisfy my cravings. I would not rave about either one back home, but I would not complain about them either. That is about the best you can hope for when it comes to Western food in Thailand.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Make it yourself.

Have to make your own Cajun seasoning but shouldn't be an issue getting the stuff in BKK. I gave up on Samui so ordered a case of 'slap ya mama' from Louisiana.

Oh my god! I was salivating while reading the slap website.

Just noticed you can buy it through Amazon now, http://www.amazon.co... ya mama&page=1 Not cheap though.

If I knew you needed Cajun seasoning 5 days ago I would have been happy to send you a pot FOC but I'm in the UK now for 8 weeks or so. I've given away a couple to Thai friends and they love the stuff. I have the 'hot' version which I had not used before and overdone it big time on the first serving of ribs I made. So hot I couldn't even finish one but rather than just chuck them I put them out for the local mutt who chomped through what was left in a matter of minutes then came back looking for more.

Edited by notmyself

Lemon curd, Tate & Lyle's Golden syrup, fish cakes and fish fingers that don't cost an arm and a leg, (there's a joke in there somewhere !), Fisherman's Pies, Ainsley Harriott Shropshire pea cup-a-soup,

Proper pot noodles, like wot they sell in the UK.

• Like 1

Domino's Pizza

They did have Domino's in Bangkok at one time, but it did not last long. I'm not sure why as I did not get to try them.

I think I read somewhere they were forced out by some tough competition from the incumbents.

Sent from iPhone; please forgive any typos or violations of forum rules

Make it yourself.

So I signed up with slap and wanted to order a 12oz box of the soup mix. $66 bucks to ship to Thailand. $166 to ship a gallon of the stuff. Holy Crap!

ick...domino's pizza? worst crap I ever tasted...any mom and pop place in the US can do it miles better so long as they deliver...

I useta work fer PizzaMan in Pasadena in 1969 and they did a healthy business; nice thin crust (freshly made) pizza with any topping you like...with late night delivery and nekkid people at the door with the cash...one of the delivery guys got a blow job in lieu of payment but was glad to make up the difference outta his pocket...

and what's the big deal with jambalaya? it's just some shrimp, rice and cayenne pepper that you could make yerself in Timbuktu...

Edited by tutsiwarrior