What Food Do You Miss The Most In Thailand And Crave?

perogies

do Russians do pierogis if so i have seen them in my next door neighbours shop

I have had excellent Russian Perogies at a Russian restaurant (not here), so I would have to say yes, but they are Ukrainian food.

Any Ukranian food would be awesome in fact (mmm gravy).

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love some all beef hotdogs

There is a German butcher in Chiang Mai named Gunther who makes excellent all beef hotdogs from a recipe he got from the Duke's in Chiang Mai. He sells them to restaurants and to the public, but I do not know if he ships them.They are as good as any I can remember back home.

Jambalaya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Southern Fried chicken, spaghetti and chitlins. Serious!

Fried catfish.... man, the list can go on and on.................

Jambalaya can be had at Burbon Street, crawdads, blooming onion, etc

Not all of us live in BKK.

perogies

do Russians do pierogis if so i have seen them in my next door neighbours shop

I have had excellent Russian Perogies at a Russian restaurant (not here), so I would have to say yes, but they are Ukrainian food.

Any Ukranian food would be awesome in fact (mmm gravy).

if your in pattaya they are here

if you have a meat grinder with a sausage attachment then you can make anything that you like...but then I went out to work and somebody messed with it and the cutting blade got lost and then it was junk...

and I was gonna find the perpetrator and then 'hang her from the highest broadarm in the british navy' but then she got pregnant and I didn't have the heart...

Despite being a teetotaler a couple of pints of real cider on the odd occasion would go down very well.

http://www.ciderandperry.co.uk/

In my youth a friend and I attended the Norwich Beer Festival on numerous occasions and imbibed our fair share of the scrumpy.on offer. As we left ( slightly unsteadily ) I saw my friend go arse over tit over this small chain link fence outside the venue much to the merriment of a couple of coppers standing nearby. They walked up to my pal and said " Are you alright mate?" to which they received the reply " Fine thank you constable but could you give me a life home as I seem to have misplaced my bicycle" ( which he didn't actually possess ).

Memories.

I forgot, Real Ale from the cask. whistling.gif .

yeah...in Derby the barman would go down the cellar and then emerge with brimming pitchers of Ind Coope Burton Ale fresh from the cask...too precious to be left to dirty pipes on the hand pumps...memorable...and then there was a little country pub up the way that had the casks right on the bar and pulled the pints directly; outstanding...and all the local houses in the village were built with granite blocks? endure should know what I'm talking about...

Derbyshire lads...AE Houseman had nothin' on us...more like a DH Lawrence reverie...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

yeah...in Derby the barman would go down the cellar and then emerge with brimming pitchers of Ind Coope Burton Ale fresh from the cask...too precious to be left to dirty pipes on the hand pumps...memorable...and then there was a little country pub up the way that had the casks right on the bar and pulled the pints directly; outstanding...and all the local houses in the village were built with granite blocks? endure should know what I'm talking about...

Derbyshire lads...AE Houseman had nothin' on us...more like a DH Lawrence reverie...

and i bet you had to walk 5 miles barefoot in 2 foot of snow every morning to get a loaf of bread

and i bet you had to walk 5 miles barefoot in 2 foot of snow every morning to get a loaf of bread

In those days it was delivered by van....haven't you seen the old adverts?

In those days it was delivered by van....haven't you seen the old adverts?

I can remember bread and milk delivered by horse and cart, and a guy on a bicycle selling onions, and the plumber had a bag on his bicycle doing his stuff, not like today where they have a Merc van and you have to re-mortgage the house to fix a tap washer. sad.png

nah...I'd just go down the corner shop...but there was a sandwich shop near the bus stop by the Assembly Rooms that opened early and I'd get a couple of ham salad sandwiches on fresh baps fer lunch later...the boss he complained about the grease from bacon butties getting on the engineering documents...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

.the boss he complained about the grease from bacon butties getting on the engineering documents...

laugh.png I recall as a 17 year old apprentice being asked to collate some very important legal documentation which in my wisdom I decided to do over a freshly prepared piping hot sausage, fried egg and fried onion bap. Much to my terror ( having been in the job about a month ) the first huge bite caused the greasy fried onions and runny egg to fall out of the bap all over the paperwork.

Edited by mca

I would love some all beef hotdogs

There is a German butcher in Chiang Mai named Gunther who makes excellent all beef hotdogs from a recipe he got from the Duke's in Chiang Mai. He sells them to restaurants and to the public, but I do not know if he ships them.They are as good as any I can remember back home.

If interested you can buy via David.

perogies

The only sensible post here.

Add some cabbage rolls and kielbasa and I'm in heaven. Oh, thailand. Sigh.

get yerself a meat grinder and you can make all the kielbasa that you want but then you might need a smoking arrangement...

cabbage rolls are a no brainer...just check out recipes on the internet...again with a meat grinder to prepare the fillings...

https://www.google.com/search?q=cabbage+roll+recipe&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

perogies

get yerself a meat grinder and you can make all the kielbasa that you want but then you might need a smoking arrangement...

cabbage rolls are a no brainer...just check out recipes on the internet...again with a meat grinder to prepare the fillings...

https://www.google.com/search?q=cabbage+roll+recipe&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

For me the downside is not having a kitchen. I used to cook a lot and I love to but unfortunately my place is ill-equipped.

And once I get a meat grinder I'd be complaining about the lack of good meat...

But to be fair, if I had a meat grinder I'd probably be too busy creating my own concoctions of sausage and jungle wurst to care about kielbasa.

Also re: cabbage rolls, pickling cabbage seems like a chore as well as finding kasha here.

God now I'm craving it more than ever. Anyone know of a Canadian I mean Ukrainian joint in BKK?

perogies

https://www.google.c...lient=firefox-a

For me the downside is not having a kitchen. I used to cook a lot and I love to but unfortunately my place is ill-equipped.

But to be fair, if I had a meat grinder I'd probably be too busy creating my own concoctions of sausage and jungle wurst to care about kielbasa.

Also re: cabbage rolls, pickling cabbage seems like a chore as well as finding kasha here.

God now I'm craving it more than ever. Anyone know of a Canadian I mean Ukrainian joint in BKK?

yeah...ye gots to have a kitchen; it's amazing how yer quality of life improves when ye got one...but ye gots to have a suitable arrangement...I live in a shophouse and have a splendid western kitchen with a gas fired full cooker with an oven...probably hard to do in a small condo...

I've found that ground meat is an improvement on whatever ye got...store bought local beef steak in Thailand then becomes edible and then you have yer range of chili con carne, bolognaise, meat loaf and etc...mash those potatoes and make gravy with local ingredients and then sublime...

https://www.google.c...lient=firefox-a

yeah...ye gots to have a kitchen; it's amazing how yer quality of life improves when ye got one...but ye gots to have a suitable arrangement...I live in a shophouse and have a splendid western kitchen with a gas fired full cooker with an oven...probably hard to do in a small condo...

I've found that ground meat is an improvement on whatever ye got...store bought local beef steak in Thailand then becomes edible and then you have yer range of chili con carne, bolognaise, meat loaf and etc...mash those potatoes and make gravy with local ingredients and then sublime...

*drools*

You're NOT HELPING!

Nandos

they have them in Malaysia

theres a similar piri piri style chicken place...at emporium and paragon, but taste no where near as good as Nando's. so dont waste your money. (my opinion)

• Like 1

a proper iced chocolate - the version complete with a scoop of vanilla icecream. mmmmm :licklips:

have tried all sorts of places possible, and they dont seem to do the iced version properly. hot choc can still find some decent ones. iced- nope!

so if any one has had some great iced choc around town...let me know on here

a proper iced chocolate - the version complete with a scoop of vanilla icecream. mmmmm licklips.gif

have tried all sorts of places possible, and they dont seem to do the iced version properly. hot choc can still find some decent ones. iced- nope!

Naaaaaaaah, my Garners pickle onions come first. whistling.gif

a proper iced chocolate - the version complete with a scoop of vanilla icecream. mmmmm licklips.gif

do you mean a chocolate milkshake drink

No no. An iced chocolate.

You simply drop a scoop of icecream into a cold chocolate drink. Not blend it in

And when u sip through a straw u get little bit of icecream too. Mmmm