What Food Do You Miss The Most In Thailand And Crave?

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and the bartenders dont know of 'Toblerone' cocktail!!! tsk tsk

Do you just show up with any old chocolate and demand it be turned into a tasty drink?

I'm rather partial to a malteser...what could be created with a pack of those do ya reckon?

Jambalaya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Southern Fried chicken, spaghetti and chitlins. Serious!

Fried catfish.... man, the list can go on and on.................

Jambalaya can be had at Burbon Street, crawdads, blooming onion, etc

Not all of us live in BKK.

I can give you the address to order online and have all cajun food and spices!

I would love some all beef hotdogs

There is a German butcher in Chiang Mai named Gunther who makes excellent all beef hotdogs from a recipe he got from the Duke's in Chiang Mai. He sells them to restaurants and to the public, but I do not know if he ships them.They are as good as any I can remember back home.

If interested you can buy via David.

you peaked my interest, How do I reach David for info and priceing?

perogies

The only sensible post here.

Add some cabbage rolls and kielbasa and I'm in heaven. Oh, thailand. Sigh.

get yerself a meat grinder and you can make all the kielbasa that you want but then you might need a smoking arrangement...

cabbage rolls are a no brainer...just check out recipes on the internet...again with a meat grinder to prepare the fillings...

https://www.google.c...lient=firefox-a

For me the downside is not having a kitchen. I used to cook a lot and I love to but unfortunately my place is ill-equipped.

And once I get a meat grinder I'd be complaining about the lack of good meat...

But to be fair, if I had a meat grinder I'd probably be too busy creating my own concoctions of sausage and jungle wurst to care about kielbasa.

Also re: cabbage rolls, pickling cabbage seems like a chore as well as finding kasha here.

God now I'm craving it more than ever. Anyone know of a Canadian I mean Ukrainian joint in BKK?

You guys amaze me!

I cook practically everything that I used to back home with an outside gas fired wok outside, a cheap and cheerful electric oven from Makro and inside multi-purpose convector microwave.

Just have to be creative and make do.

No complaints from famiiy friends or neighbours

You guys amaze me!

I cook practically everything that I used to back home with an outside gas fired wok outside, a cheap and cheerful electric oven from Makro and inside multi-purpose convector microwave.

Can you make proper fish & chips with your wok?

You guys amaze me!

Can he make Garners pickled onions, Noooo, can he make ENGLISH REAL ALE ?, Nooooooooooooooooooo, can bung stuff on a Barby, Yessss. bah.gif

Jambalaya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Southern Fried chicken, spaghetti and chitlins. Serious!

Fried catfish.... man, the list can go on and on.................

Jambalaya can be had at Burbon Street, crawdads, blooming onion, etc

Not all of us live in BKK.

I can give you the address to order online and have all cajun food and spices!

Oh yes, please!!!!!!!! smile.png

You guys amaze me!

For sure!

I bought quite a large metal saucepan and lid and use this recipie:

http://www.food.com/recipe/real-english-fish-and-chips-with-yorkshire-beer-batter-183399

I don't have a hot oil thermometer so it took me a while to get the temperature just right. Also it took me a while to get the hang of making UK style of 'chippie' chips. I use normal Thai cooking oil but as my Thai wife also uses this pan as a deep fryer - I tend to get new oil each time that I cook my fish and chips.

Could get cod.. buts its a bit pricey. I have used Silver Dory and Red Snapper fillets in the past but have finally settled on buying a bag of Pangasius fillet of fish from Makro. No complaints from me or the family and also the neighbours in the village who seem to have a sharp sense of smell everytime that I cook this dish. Try it. I think that you will enjoy! Good luck!

You guys amaze me!

Can he make Garners pickled onions, Noooo, can he make ENGLISH REAL ALE ?, Nooooooooooooooooooo, can bung stuff on a Barby, Yessss. bah.gif

Don't know about Garners... but yes I do make my own pickled onions and also eggs. Lots of methods if you use Google or the search engine of your choice.

No to real English Ale. I am not a beer drinker. However I have made my own wine, For medicinal purposes, you understand, as it is illegal in Thailand to produce without a license. The trick is to find an ingrediant which is cheap, abundant and not too sweet. Rice and potato are both good. Fruit - Roseapple or Lumyai (Longyan). Forget about glasss demijohns and the ususal paraphenalia... I used 25 litre plastic (good and clean) water bottles. Made my own air traps... got some cheap stoppage corks and some instant yeast plus sugar. The key is to keep everything 100 clean and sterile. Although I do not have campden tablets I used a good sterilizing additive to water which is normaly used to sterilize babys bottles and whatever. And yes I also use BBQ when the mood takes. Peace

I'm rather partial to a malteser...what could be created with a pack of those do ya reckon?

They are best as they are

But, if you get the tiny ones you could throw into a hot choc for added delight. Would work well I reckon.

There's a place that serves hot choc with tiny mini wafer balls in the drink. It's yum and the crunchy wafers adds a nice touch

Ps. Now I'm thinking maltesers prolly best thrown into vanilla icecream as topping. Mmmmmm

But, if you get the tiny ones you could throw into a hot choc for added delight. Would work well I reckon.

There's a place that serves hot choc with tiny mini wafer balls in the drink. It's yum and the crunchy wafers adds a nice touch

Ps. Now I'm thinking maltesers prolly best thrown into vanilla icecream as topping. Mmmmmm

I'm a traditionalist....as British as you'll find. :D

Do ya reckon I could do away with the sugar lumps and replace with a bowl of maltesers?

It could be fun at dinner parties.....yet another eccentricity of mine...:)

Edit: We're talking tea here of course...served in a pot with a strainer naturally. ;)

Edited by smokie36

I'm a traditionalist....as British as you'll find. biggrin.png

Do ya reckon I could do away with the sugar lumps and replace with a bowl of maltesers?

It could be fun at dinner parties.....yet another eccentricity of mine...smile.png

Edit: We're talking tea here of course...served in a pot with a strainer naturally. wink.png

And you use the word ''YA'', tut tut. laugh.png

I am just finishing off some crumpets, if you ever come to Nan province, you can get home made bread and other things here http://www.breadnstuff.biz

I am impressed we can get crumpets here in CM but they cost an arm and a leg so tend to nake my own... Now here's a thought... when I was a nipper we used a toasting fork in front of a coal fire and just had butter on top. These days.. I tend to either add cheese and toast or wait for it..(an I can hear the Yukks from here) spread marrmite or vegemire on top. Great in the winter months!

Proper breakfast, meaning AMERICAN breakfast, comprising a ham steak (gammon), eggs over medium, and, the most elusive of all in Asia, decent home fried potatoes, choice of toast (real bread), and bottomless cup o' joe.. Most of what is served as Western food in Asia is unrecognizable as food of any description.

Exception: Coolabah in SIhanoukville, Cambodia has the real deal.

Additional items would be Kosher beef hotdogs/knackwurst, decent rye bread, pastrami, corned beef.

And of course, Mexican food, San Diego style.

I am impressed we can get crumpets here in CM but they cost an arm and a leg so tend to nake my own...

Where do you get decent crumpets in Chiang Mai? I would like to try some. Cafe Compassion has them and they taste good to me, but I have never been to England, so am not sure what they are really supposed to taste like

Edited by Ulysses G.

Proper breakfast, meaning AMERICAN breakfast, comprising a ham steak (gammon), eggs over medium, and, the most elusive of all in Asia, decent home fried potatoes, choice of toast (real bread), and bottomless cup o' joe.. Most of what is served as Western food in Asia is unrecognizable as food of any description.

Additional items would be Kosher beef hotdogs/knackwurst, decent rye bread, pastrami, corned beef.

All of this stuff is available in Chiang Mai - except the bottomless cup of coffee - and it is not bad but you have to search for the best quality.

Edited by Ulysses G.

All of this stuff is available in Chiang Mai - except the bottomless cup of coffee - and it is not bad but you have to search for the best quality.

same same pattaya plenty of good food from all over the world available here

German restaurants seem to have more respect for potatoes than do most others. 'Roesti' can pinch-hit for hash browns, and a decent breakfast can be assembled a la carte in any that are open during 'breakfast hours'. In Bangkok, I used to go to the infamous Soi 7 Biergarten for breakfast, get in and out before the BG rush...still miss the standard unlimited coffee as in US diners, though.

What is Coolabah please?