BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
webfact

Phuket Tuk-Tuk Driver Gets Suspended Sentence For Attack On Tourist

because the police , mafia , tuk tuks , taxis are all one big happy family ........ lets see what the killers get ... not life thats for sure //

I still don't understand why I can go anywhere in Bangkok for 50 or 60 baht in air conditioned comfort, but I have to pay 500 baht to go over a hill in Phuket. I used to own interest in a business in Phuket, and I walked away a couple of years ago. It is a shithole and getting shittier by the day. Pattaya two the electric boogaloo. The more tourism drops the more depserate and aggressive the criminals will become. There are plenty of beautiful beaches in Thailand, leave this one to the Russians and Nigerians like they did with Pattaya. I speak with my dollars. My dollars have not gone to Phuket for a while now.

• Like 1

I still don't understand why I can go anywhere in Bangkok for 50 or 60 baht in air conditioned comfort, but I have to pay 500 baht to go over a hill in Phuket. I used to own interest in a business in Phuket, and I walked away a couple of years ago. It is a shithole and getting shittier by the day. Pattaya two the electric boogaloo. The more tourism drops the more depserate and aggressive the criminals will become. There are plenty of beautiful beaches in Thailand, leave this one to the Russians and Nigerians like they did with Pattaya. I speak with my dollars. My dollars have not gone to Phuket for a while now.

where then ?

Seems like a fair sentence...

As for the damages to tourism, without condoning violence, 10 egyptians piling into a tuk-tuk refusing to pay 40bht each, no sure it's the kind of tourist Thailand needs in the first place.

Agreed.

C'mon people I think you are all being a bit harsh on the tuk tuk driver. It actually cost him more than the 3000 baht 'cos he didn't get the original fare either - that had been agreed with the tourist, who changed the deal. On top of that he was probably so upset that he went home early - so he didn't earn any more money that day. rolleyes.gif

“We always have meetings with taxi operators, asking them to exercise self-control. Some of them are not very well-educated;

​Guess the ten Egyptians were also not very well educated. And one of them had no self control........

A real good one. The tablets might change this country in about 20 years........ coffee1.gif

Edited by sirchai

So an Egyptian and his 9 wives want to get away with paying for only 5 wives - I think I would thump him too.

Tuk Tuk one. Kilometre, 50 baht most places. 10 passengers, sounds like a baht bus, a pick-up with seats at the back and a hard top

I would have paid the 100 Baht more if I took more people then I told them.

I have known a lot of North Africans. When they "just talk", they look kind of agressive aswell sometimes. Specially to the Thai culture, underdog, talk gentle... (yea yea not always, just try to get the picture )

This incident was probably only reported because of the injury sustained from the assult that required medical attention.

It makes you wonder how many assaults go unreported, with most tourists just paying the money for fear of having a problem in a foreign country.

It doesn't make for a pleasant holiday experience.

I think it was reported because the Egyptian sat in the road blocking traffic until the cops arrived. Good on him for doing that but unbelievable that he crammed 10 people into a tuk tuk.

The problem seems to be that the local authorities don't regulate tuk tuks properly in Phuket because they are all involved in the scam as protection money flows uphill to the mayor, police, governor etc. They need to fix the fares instead of allowing them to charge outrageous fares for short distances. They also need to permit songthaews running fixed routes for a flat 10-20 baht as in Pattaya which would eliminate the need for most of the tuk tuks and their beastly drivers. This would be a huge benefit to locals as well.

Edited by Arkady

300 or 400 baht. They state from where to where....... does anyone know what the distance was and how much the fare should normally be????

60 TBH for one km would be ok.

Here in Phuket, the mafia drives it up to anything they want but mostly 300-500 TBH under 2 km, unless you cross over to the next village, will be higher.

Regarding the 10 people in the tuk-tuk, must have been adults with children, six adults not counting the kids? na krap.

The victim didn't want to press charges or accept compensation, but still they considered it a serious enough offence to sentence the guy anyway, and actually the sentence isn't particularly light, suspended jail term and fairly big fine (by Thai standards). Surely this is a positive outcome???

Isn't particularly light!!?? A positive outcome!!?? You do know what a suspended sentence is, right?

The Balinese were positive their tourism industry would sustain them forever without fail. Two bombings later and they learned their lesson. Bali's tourism industry is only just now starting to recover. I work with an Aussie who cancelled his upcoming trip to Phuket after that lady was stabbed. There are two places in Thailand you see reports of this kind of violence. Phuket and Pattaya. The Tuk Tuk drivers blockading the docks have cost themselves cruise business, they are beating and stabbing tourists over extortionist prices. Screw them. I recommend anyone I know to go to Thailand without hesitation. It is a magical wonderful place. I also recommend against anyone going to Phuket. It is nothing but Detroit with Palm trees.

“We always have meetings with taxi operators, asking them to exercise self-control. Some of them are not very well-educated;

A real good one. The tablets might change this country in about 20 years........ coffee1.gif

Yes well said, Keep taking the tablets.