How To Stop Dogs Digging

We have four and a half adopted dogs, and they all dig. They are destroying my landscaping. They dig holes in the lawn (deep ones, and shallow ones to just twist your ankle), they dig up drain pipes, dig up plants then chew them up, they are adorable, but a menace.

Someone told me there was a spray, imported from Germany, which stops them instantly. Anyone know what it is called? And what the active ingredient is? And where I can buy it in Pattaya?

I tried chilli powder mixed with ground black pepper, and cayenne pepper, sprinkled on the shrubs. They did not even notice and needless to say, it didn't work. Used about half a kilo too.

I would love to be able to stop them without hurting them. This spray is odourless to humans apparently.

Any ideas anyone?

Ii guess your dogs are still puppies, the digging will become less at an age of 8 to 10 months. try to put some big rocks on their favourite digging spots and give them other toys/bones to chew at or other distractions. when my dogs were puppies we could not plant anything new in the garden, immediately it was digged up and torn apart. not every dog is keen on digging though. when the dogs are grown they don't show much interest in that anymore.

All you have to do is catch the dog in the act of digging the hole then catch him/her drag them over to the hole shove there face in the hole a few times and speak to them in a harsh tone they will soon learn not to dig holes. I dont hit my dogs but a harsh word is all that is needed to let them no that they have done something wrong. But it is important to make sure they know why they are being punished

udon good idea,

also, an old tire to pull and shove, a few dead footballs (my boxers love to 'kill' dead balls; also, u may have to or fence in the dogs separate from the plants, or fence in the plants since they've learned the fun of digging, it is very very hard to break if theyve been doing this for a long time....forgot, a small pool of water and some old hoses for 'killing' also are good; old brooms... etc... change the toys alot

also, the breed types make some dogs diggers more than others; some bitches dig around pregnancy time (nesting thing) ...

udon good idea,

also, an old tire to pull and shove, a few dead footballs (my boxers love to 'kill' dead balls; also, u may have to or fence in the dogs separate from the plants, or fence in the plants since they've learned the fun of digging, it is very very hard to break if theyve been doing this for a long time....forgot, a small pool of water and some old hoses for 'killing' also are good; old brooms... etc... change the toys alot

also, the breed types make some dogs diggers more than others; some bitches dig around pregnancy time (nesting thing) ...

Thanks for the replies, yes, they are (or almost all are) still puppies, coming up to six months. They've always had lots of diffferent things to chew, most popular was an old mop head. Although brooms, ball, a towel, hide chews from the store were always interesting, so I dont think it is that they are bored. And yes, the mother did dig a small pit when she gave birth. So maybe it is learned behaviour? I have already caught the digger, spoken harshly (well, yelled), and even tapped tthem on the snout.

They love water, and a big plastic laundry bowl full of water is always in the yard for them.

They are not "breed" dogs, only mutts, except for one who thinks she is a dobermann or rotweiler.

Anyway, thanks to all repliers.

udon good idea,

Thanks for the replies, yes, they are (or almost all are) still puppies, coming up to six months. They've always had lots of diffferent things to chew, most popular was an old mop head. Although brooms, ball, a towel, hide chews from the store were always interesting, so I dont think it is that they are bored. And yes, the mother did dig a small pit when she gave birth. So maybe it is learned behaviour? I have already caught the digger, spoken harshly (well, yelled), and even tapped tthem on the snout.

They love water, and a big plastic laundry bowl full of water is always in the yard for them.

They are not "breed" dogs, only mutts, except for one who thinks she is a dobermann or rotweiler.

Anyway, thanks to all repliers.

There are several sprays which can be purchased at most pet shops. I know at least one is odorless. I can't remember its name, but you can also use these sprays in the house for furniture, drapes and other things little dogs like to "attack". The people at your local pet shop can guide you on these.

u can teach them to dig in selected spots if u are around to supervise:

1. they start digging any where... u take the culprit and say NO>> no digging, and then take the dog to the sand pit/water area whatever and give a very very small tiny weenie piece of treat (meat whatever) and say: lets play, or 'dig here' or whatever but be consistant with the command: and then help the doggy play in the sand or whatever using goodies to keep interest... for a few minutes. then, stop the game, 'lets go' or 'thats all now' and go back to the house kennel, chain or where ever ... do not allow to play unsupervised until u are sure they know what is allowed....stop them before they stop with the playing, so the area remains a bit 'sexy' i.e. off limits unless given permission, it makes it more fun and attractive for them ... increase the play time and they will learn automatically to go to the pit to play (bury empty plastic bottles, socks, etc in the sand... etc) u can water the sand, even more fun....

if my two boxers learned to stay out of gardens (with the help of some coca cola plastic bottles filled with pebble, vinegar sprays and diversions such as a 'kong' smeared with peanut butter, yours can learn too!!!!! my neibhors gardens were very expensive to re plant!!!

we broke our canaani dogs' habits of hassling our rabbits in the rabbit area in same method (actually using a bit harsher method since it is livestock/moving game, but general idea)

its like teaching children not to paint on the furniture but they can paint on the giant plastic sheet.... with four pups, it will be hard since one instigates and the others follow... yes it is learned behavior based on natural digging den and looking for food behavior... also, digging a place to sleep in the cool dirt but the behavior pattern doesnt just stick with digging for a purpose, it becomes fun, like chasing cars or bikes or whatever....

have fun

bina

Fantastic answers - first job for hubby when he returns next week is the sand pit! Many thanks. The doggy treats I use are those stick chews on sale in big stores like Tesco and Carrefour. There are all flavours, and they do them in a strap or in a round chew. I buy the round chews and chop each stick into about ten pieces. They pups have a goodie pot, which I use for rewarding them. They pee on command now, and always outside.

Trying to teach Elvis the doberman (who is she kidding), to sing. She can yawn loudly, but trying to teach her 'Blue Suede Shoes'. Any tips anyone ?

u can teach them to dig in selected spots if u are around to supervise:

1. they start digging any where... u take the culprit and say NO>> no digging, and then take the dog to the sand pit/water area whatever and give a very very small tiny weenie piece of treat (meat whatever) and say: lets play, or 'dig here' or whatever but be consistant with the command: and then help the doggy play in the sand or whatever using goodies to keep interest... for a few minutes. then, stop the game, 'lets go' or 'thats all now' and go back to the house kennel, chain or where ever ... do not allow to play unsupervised until u are sure they know what is allowed....stop them before they stop with the playing, so the area remains a bit 'sexy' i.e. off limits unless given permission, it makes it more fun and attractive for them ... increase the play time and they will learn automatically to go to the pit to play (bury empty plastic bottles, socks, etc in the sand... etc) u can water the sand, even more fun....

if my two boxers learned to stay out of gardens (with the help of some coca cola plastic bottles filled with pebble, vinegar sprays and diversions such as a 'kong' smeared with peanut butter, yours can learn too!!!!! my neibhors gardens were very expensive to re plant!!!

we broke our canaani dogs' habits of hassling our rabbits in the rabbit area in same method (actually using a bit harsher method since it is livestock/moving game, but general idea)

its like teaching children not to paint on the furniture but they can paint on the giant plastic sheet.... with four pups, it will be hard since one instigates and the others follow... yes it is learned behavior based on natural digging den and looking for food behavior... also, digging a place to sleep in the cool dirt but the behavior pattern doesnt just stick with digging for a purpose, it becomes fun, like chasing cars or bikes or whatever....

have fun

bina

Edited by english_farang_lady