How Much Should I Pay A Maid/Cook In Thailand.?

IconicX

look around at all the over 50s who have been duped walking around with a 1 year old kid is that what you really want I think not !!!

Not all those guys were duped, none should have been if they had any sense and actually quite a few are very happy with their children.

Before you go looking for a servant, you might consider if you even need one. Living alone in a place that appears to be small (and where would a servant sleep?)

Don't servants sleep under the stairs?

Work permit no worries if your only knocking up the drawings but selling them elsewhere. You can get all the healthy food you want delivered to your place at alloted times. Thail food among the healthiest and tastiest in the world. Hardly anyone cooks in the home. Just abvoid the over-priced foreign owned restraunts, normally the food is poor in my experience. The problem is a lot of the crusters with businesses still think they should be making western level money........

"Thai food among the healthiest and tastiest in the world." Right...palm oil, MSG, sugar, fish sauce....very healthy.whistling.gif

....Pla raa and Kapi is also very 'tasty'.

Before you go looking for a servant, you might consider if you even need one. Living alone in a place that appears to be small (and where would a servant sleep?) means there is little cleaning to be done in general. What little cleaning there is to do will be therapeutic. If all you ingest is plant matter, cooking is a breeze and you will get personal fulfillment by doing it. Outside laundry service is not expensive.

I live alone and do all my own cleaning and cooking and take my laundry out. I also do all my own yard work. You can too.

It would be very odd indeed to have a servant around to cook and clean. You might want to try taking care of yourself first for a while. See how it goes. You might find the solitude inspiring.

The OP asked "How much for a maid/cook?". I assume he is not interested in your inspiring solitude.

The OP asked "How much for a maid/cook?". I assume he is not interested in your inspiring solitude.

Oh my god!!! Someone offered an unsolicited opinion on a forum?! I'll grab the rope and unleash the dogs, you grab the torches and pitchforks. Let's hunt him down and stamp this out before the Internet turns into a cesspit...

That said...

The OP is also looking for suggestions on a place to live, albeit in a separate thread. ermm.gif

My pen lie. Chill. I was asking not accusing. As I am not now in Thailand I guess I am legal.

It's mai pen rai, with a "R".

I was reffering to you when you will be working here. You will have a work permit right?

Not including news reporters, how many Thais do you actually hear pronouncing the ร? Do you correct the Thais you encounter who make this heinous mispronunciation? Didn't think so.

And what is it with the people on this board who are obsessed with whether other people have a work permit or not? What business is it of yours? And exactly what difference does it make to you either way? Get a f@cking life!

Easy on the red bull. lol

You can give her the 300 baht per day minimum wage but make her pay for rent and food just like she would if she toiled in a sweatshop for 12 hours per day.

Live in with room and board should not have a cash compensation that costs more than the room and board (4,000 baht?).

The cost to feed a live in is at least 100 baht per day (3,000 baht per month).

10,000 baht per month and room and board? Come on fellas...

Also are there people that are single and have a strictly business relationship with a live in maid with out benefits?

I'm afraid it's very possible, sir. It can be inspiring to eat veggies and channel that libido into more creative pursuits, like art!

Maybe start by using the R's instead of the lazy L's (mai bpen rai). wink.png

Hilarious! I didn't even get it... no kidding, I thought this "my pen lie" had to do something with the fact that IconX writes a book. biggrin.png

IconX, welcome to Chiangmai and pardon my inoffensive comment.

I agree with the rest of the posters who say that a maid who comes part time is plenty for a single household. Also, this way it's easier to keep trying out a few maids until you have the one who you like best. I only need my maid once per week. For what it's worth: yes, she is Thai and I am very happy with her quality of work. She is always in time, cleans, washes, irons and stenches. Actually, she is the best maid I have had eversince my male, English "maid" (yep!) left.

Edited by No1