Meter Taxis In Cm

The Dan Sai Kid

I don't use any of the transport options in Changers very often, but my car was getting fixed and we went to Robinsons by Song Taew, which was fine.

When we came out we had a bit of christmas shopping, so we decided to try one of the taxis, as we've never used them in Chiang Mai before. We told the taxi driver where we wanted to go and he actually quoted a price!

HELLO, you're a meter taxi, with meter being the operative word, but to no avail. Apparantley they pay so much to stand outside Robinsons that there's a commision.

I would have waited for the bus, but in Chiang Mai waiting more than 2 minutes to go anywhere is a drag...

Are they allowed to do this?

Edited by Grant

Nowdays it's the norm: starting at 40 bht on the meter + another 40 for service charge = minimum to pay 80 bht! Yes I believe that's a rip off. :o

G

P.S. I use them only because of our 4 months old baby to avoid pollution and all :D

I have used the Taxi once and only paid the meter rate....Must have been lucky.

Nowdays it's the norm: starting at 40 bht on the meter + another 40 for service charge = minimum to pay 80 bht! Yes I believe that's a rip off. :o

G

P.S. I use them only because of our 4 months old baby to avoid pollution and all :D

I have used the Taxi once and only paid the meter rate....Must have been lucky.

That's interesting. Did you order them by phone? If that's the case, I'll have some ground to complain to the company for this annoying "service charge".

Cheers,

G

I use them to go to the Airport.

First time they whacked 40B on the meter charge.

Unfortunatley I had to use them again last week for the same trip, and yes another 40B.

BUT... they are reliable and turn up on time, how else am I gonna get there?

The way I look at it I am loosing only 20B as I dont tip them as I know I am being fleeced already.

and to be honest it is worth loosing 20B for the peace of mind that comes with knowing they will turn up (or they have so far-twice, and on time). I would not use them for other journeys.

I wouldn't count on them being reliable. My Girlfriend books taxis for her boss who travels frequently, she always calls the taxi half an hour before they are supposed to pick him up. About 50% of the time they are still sleeping (or have a flat or some other excuse). They need their hand held in order to get their job done. Remember these are the same guys that Drive the rot daeng don't let the nice new vehicle fool you into thinking they are professional.

Well the above maybee true , but they have 100% record from my perspective

Same here. I've only used the metered taxis a few times to get from my house to/from the train station and airport but have always found them to be on-time and on-meter. I think there was a sixty baht surcharge to come out to my house and pick me up but that fee was reasonable considering where I live outside of town.

Same here. I've only used the metered taxis a few times to get from my house to/from the train station and airport but have always found them to be on-time and on-meter. I think there was a sixty baht surcharge to come out to my house and pick me up but that fee was reasonable considering where I live outside of town.

I don't get the surcharge at Robinsons though. OKay, they have rent to pay - but they also have a steady stream of customers and aren't burning fuel when they don't have customers. They used to have a list of set prices - what happened to that?

First time they whacked 40B on the meter charge.

Unfortunatley I had to use them again last week for the same trip, and yes another 40B.

The white airport limos will pick you up anywhere in town and deliver you to the airport for a flat 120B. Always on time, nicer than the meter taxis.

From the airport to town the limos are actually cheaper than the meter taxis.

Phone number for the airport limo company is 0 5392 2128

I don't get the surcharge at Robinsons though. OKay, they have rent to pay - but they also have a steady stream of customers and aren't burning fuel when they don't have customers. They used to have a list of set prices - what happened to that?

I think the deal at Robinsons is that there are a lot of tourists and farangs willing to pay the asking price. I had a situation where I had to take a taxi from Robinsons to Goodview and the fookers refused to use the meter and wanted 110b. I tried to get a ST but they saw I was refusing the taxi meter and quoted the same - they're all in collusion. I HATE getting fleeced by these guys and would have no sympaty if their livelyhood one day disappears.

I have to speak in favour of the call taxi service. We used them three times to go to the airport and they were punctual and polite all three times. The last one was ordered for 6:00 AM and he showed up at 5:30 AM.

But, there are bad experiences, too.

Taxis going from CNX airport to any location in the city seem to (over-)charge a fixed rate which is determined by the airport taxi gang. It is invariably more expensive than the meter rate. Having negotiated such an unfavourable rate once, the driver remarked upon arrival at our moo baan, that the fee should be 20 Baht higher than quoted, because the quoted fee was for the other entry of the moo baan.

I regretted that his prior assessment was inaccurate, but pointed out that it was not my mistake, since I had contracted the service at a fixed price. Mentally, I was already gagging him with the exhaust pipe and winding the antenna around his neck. Since the driver accepted his loss -not without an aggrieved display of snottyness- the violence remained a fantasy.

Cheers, X-Pat

I tried to get a ST but they saw I was refusing the taxi meter and quoted the same - they're all in collusion.

For what it's worth, the company that operates the rot daeng is also the company that operates the meter taxis. This duality is probably the only reason the meter taxis are "allowed" to operate in Chiang Mai. :o

Such a shame.

As a new and most welcome travel organisation set up to benefit not only the many tourists & visitors but also the local residents of the Rose of the North it has in such a short period decended into the depths of despair reminicent of the worst aspects of the Dark Forces that the people of Thailand and particulary Chiang Mai can do without.

C.mon Mr T ....do summit...... :o

Taxis going from CNX airport to any location in the city seem to (over-)charge a fixed rate which is determined by the airport taxi gang.

One of my former students works at the airport taxi service. If it makes anyone feel better, they REAM these poor sods.

They have to pay so much "rent" to park at the airport that the drivers make little profit even with the high rates.

TIT! :o

Taxis going from CNX airport to any location in the city seem to (over-)charge a fixed rate which is determined by the airport taxi gang.

One of my former students works at the airport taxi service. If it makes anyone feel better, they REAM these poor sods.

They have to pay so much "rent" to park at the airport that the drivers make little profit even with the high rates.

TIT! :D

Doesnt taxi from CNX airport charge a admin fee of 50b plus the meter rate to any location?

Maybe the admin fee rate goes to the airport, and the airport charge the taxi an additional parking charge of a few hundred baht daily ? That's why the airport taxi drivers always seem to be in a hurry... :o

x-pat, do you use Thai or English when you call the taxi service? Will they charge more if you use English?

I've heard before that the queue fees are outrageous. I have always thought that it begs the question of why do it?, if airport fares don't make much profit for the driver.

I've heard before that the queue fees are outrageous. I have always thought that it begs the question of why do it?, if airport fares don't make much profit for the driver.

Obviously, because it's better than nothing :D

nokia: x-pat, do you use Thai or English when you call the taxi service? Will they charge more if you use English?

As a representative of the Empire I make it a point to state my instructions to taxi drivers always in the clearest Oxford English.

:o

X-Pat

Okay. I was kidding. Of course, I or my wife speak Thai to the drivers. Though I have the impression that the airport taxi fees affect Thais and farangs likewise. There doesn't seem to be a farang price.

Cheers, X-Pat

• 4 weeks later...

I have a connection with the hospitality industry and of recent, the complaints directed towards the Metered Taxi's seem to be increasing.

I, myself have used the metered taxi to go to the airport and found that from my house to the airport was within 2 baht of what I usually expect to pay a tuk tuk, 70B. Given this has been about a year ago.

Now it seems they have learned from maybe the Bangkok guys,,,,, to try and not use the meter, or little charges for this and that to add on to the meter.

It makes perfectly good sense once you finally understand that the Red Bus Mafia are one and the same for the Metered Taxi's. Have had so many complaints about the new taxis that I tell all I can to please use the airport limo.

Does any one know who is behing the "Red Bus Mafia".. Is it a army or police general, or a group. Is it some high ranked politicial...

As far as the new buses are concerned, I am very happy and pleased to tell all to use them whereever possible. and believe me I do..... almost to sound like I am on the bus company payroll.

I hope the bus program becomes prosperous and continues and grows.

But the power behind the Red Bus Mafia must be very influential.

I was going into town for a dentist appointment, called a taxi to pick me up as there was no car at home at the moment. He showed up reasonably on time, and then asked me to name a price into town. I then said I wanted him to use the meter. He said his meter was actually intended for taxi minibuses and showed too high a rate, so a flat price would be cheaper - he said he had ordered a new meter to be installed, but it would not be installed before the end of the month. I still insisted on the meter.

When we arrived at our destination, the meter showed 120 baht, but he said 100 was ok, so that is what he got.

I dont like these extra fees either, they defeat the purpose and make it something other than a taxi service. Bangkok taxis are far cheaper, and in the past 4 years I have not had a Bangkok taxi driver try to negotiate a flat rate with me (which happened a lot back in the nineties).

As there 's not a whole lot of meter taxi drivers in chiang Mai (30 or so now?) I suppose we could start a list / ranking of the good ones. :o They can all be booked directly by mobile phone anyway. (So include the number in the list).

That way you give the good ones the business, and the bad ones can go sit at airport plaza untill cob webs grow out of their ears.

Cheers,

Chanchao