Best Place.

I need to buy a Nikon 3100 for my niece. A couple of questions please, where is the best place in Bangkok & approximate price I should pay. She wants a lens with it.

Thank you

Well the D3100 + lens combo is a common seller, coming with the entry-level standard of an 18-55mm lens.

Fotofile (3 locations in MBK + a bunch elsewhere) is kind of the biggest/most popular photo store, and they have the kit for 20,900. However, every time I've bought something from there they always seem to round down the price you get on the website, so maybe 20,000.

However, Fotofile is also sometimes overpriced (or rather, their pricing is only normal, other places are just cheaper than normal). Capa Foto also lists the kit for 20,900.

I like Pix One (main store in Fortune Town, also have locations like Central Pinklao). They'll charge you 16,600. And also throw in an 8 GB SD card (I'm not sure if FotoFile does this too, but if not you will have to buy a memory card). For an extra 9,200 baht (total 25,800) you can get a two lens kit, (A D3100 + 18-55 VR lens + 55-300 VR lens) which will enable your niece to get a really good focal length variety for cheaper than each item separately. If she's at all semi-serious about this photography business, her second lens will most likely be that 55-300 VR (if she wants more zoom and reach) or a 50 1.8 (if she finds her lenses too slow). It's often a toss up between those two desires, sometimes even both of them. But point is, if you have that extra bit of coin I suggest going for the D3100 + 2 lens combo to keep her very happy.

AVCamera is also a good store with usually decent prices. They list the D3100 + 18-55mm kit on their website and it comes with a 4gb SD card but they don't list the price on that item. You can call them up and ask.

Other main stores; Big Camera lists the kit at 21,900, Sunny Camera (Nikon representative) lists 20,900, World Camera lists 21,900.

Well the D3100 + lens combo is a common seller, coming with the entry-level standard of an 18-55mm lens.

Fotofile (3 locations in MBK + a bunch elsewhere) is kind of the biggest/most popular photo store, and they have the kit for 20,900. However, every time I've bought something from there they always seem to round down the price you get on the website, so maybe 20,000.

However, Fotofile is also sometimes overpriced (or rather, their pricing is only normal, other places are just cheaper than normal). Capa Foto also lists the kit for 20,900.

I like Pix One (main store in Fortune Town, also have locations like Central Pinklao). They'll charge you 16,600. And also throw in an 8 GB SD card (I'm not sure if FotoFile does this too, but if not you will have to buy a memory card). For an extra 9,200 baht (total 25,800) you can get a two lens kit, (A D3100 + 18-55 VR lens + 55-300 VR lens) which will enable your niece to get a really good focal length variety for cheaper than each item separately. If she's at all semi-serious about this photography business, her second lens will most likely be that 55-300 VR (if she wants more zoom and reach) or a 50 1.8 (if she finds her lenses too slow). It's often a toss up between those two desires, sometimes even both of them. But point is, if you have that extra bit of coin I suggest going for the D3100 + 2 lens combo to keep her very happy.

AVCamera is also a good store with usually decent prices. They list the D3100 + 18-55mm kit on their website and it comes with a 4gb SD card but they don't list the price on that item. You can call them up and ask.

Other main stores; Big Camera lists the kit at 21,900, Sunny Camera (Nikon representative) lists 20,900, World Camera lists 21,900.

Thank you very much for your help, much appreciated.