Any Good Free Vpn'S Here For Netflix?

Gone

You always get what you "pay" for smile.png

What are you talking about? I pay for it in Canada but cannot watch it here so I'm looking for a VPN

• Like 1

What are you talking about? I pay for it in Canada but cannot watch it here so I'm looking for a VPN

he means when it comes to VPNs you get what you pay for. There is no such thing as a good free vpn

he means when it comes to VPNs you get what you pay for. There is no such thing as a good free vpn

Of course there are, when you consider what you want it for.

Gaining access to an exit node in another country is not something you need to pay for. Plenty of open source software already available.

Gaining access to an exit node in another country is not something you need to pay for. Plenty of open source software already available.

How about some suggestions?

• Like 1

How about some suggestions?

well, what he wants it for is clear -- video streaming. that means stability as well as bandwdth.

with no suggestions, your assertion that there are plenty of free options available is somewhat pointless.

please guide those of us who aren't as clued up as you seem to be.

ps, i have had very little success with Tor for video, and Hulu blocks nodes as soon as it finds them

• Like 1

well, what he wants it for is clear -- video streaming. that means stability as well as bandwdth.

with no suggestions, your assertion that there are plenty of free options available is somewhat pointless.

please guide those of us who aren't as clued up as you seem to be.

ps, i have had very little success with Tor for video, and Hulu blocks nodes as soon as it finds them

This is exactly the reason I don't want to fire off a list and say go do this, do that.

You won't learn anything and your post shows you're doing it wrong.

Why on Earh do you want to stream across the VPN? By definition, your VPN connection will be slower than your native connection.

Hint: all you're trying to achieve is passing an IP check...

You are indeed patronizing without being useful at all.

I just want to stream Hulu and BBC, and the OP wants Netflix.

Neither of us asked for an education, nor did we ask you to reconfirm the obvious. I am aware that a VPN offers less bandwidth than a native connection "by definition"

As i see it you can either offer us help which would be greatly appreciated or drag your supercilious ass elsewhere.

• Like 1

You are indeed patronizing without being useful at all.

I just want to stream Hulu and BBC, and the OP wants Netflix.

Neither of us asked for an education, nor did we ask you to reconfirm the obvious. I am aware that a VPN offers less bandwidth than a native connection "by definition"

As i see it you can either offer us help which would be greatly appreciated or drag your supercilious ass elsewhere.

I'm sorry you feel that way and I'll spell out my previous post in layman's terms.

If you know that a VPN slows your connection, why mention bandwidth and stability in relation to streaming video? What relevance does it have?

As you did referenece bandwidth, it suggests you are having difficulty because you are streaming video over your VPN.

So, did you go away and try using a solution (you mentioned tor) to pass the IP check only? Or perform a search to verify if what I'd told you was correct?

It appears you chose to argue with me instead. Which brings me on to why I mentioned learning for yourself.

Here you've demonstrated that you have a preference towards your own views than those you read here. That is understandable and you would certainly not be in the minority.

But when presented with a view that challenges your own, why not do something about it? It seems you treat Thai Visa as your only information source - don't you find that restrictive?

You want help and you mentioned Tor. What problems did you have? How did you search for nodes? What criteria did you apply when you selected them to use?

What's your bandwidth? Try not streaming video over Tor.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The point being raised above is a correct one...

To view Netflix or Hulu or the like here, all you need is a U.S. IP address....

VPN services typically can provide that. But they also do more by encrypting your data stream to make it (somewhat secure) from any prying eyes en route, and that means a reduction in your already limited Thailand-international data stream speeds. So that's not ideal for use in video streaming. Particularly when presumably, you don't need to keep secret from anyone that you're watching a Netflix show.

One alternative approach is to use a private/secure proxy service that provides a U.S. IP address. In my extensive tests, using a secure proxy provides a significantly faster, less diminished data speeds compared to any of the VPN protocols, such as Open SSL, PPTP, or IPSec.

Unfortunately, just recently, Witopia.net, the service that I'd been using for a long time to provide my private proxy, ceased providing it, at least temporarily. So overnight with my True 10 Mbps cable connection, I went from being able to stream U.S. video virtually without problem using Witopia's L.A. based proxy to having to rely on their VPN services, and now streaming video is constantly buffering. So I'm not a happy camper.

Witopia had provided their L.A. based proxy service as a free addition along with their paid VPN accounts. So I'd long had a paid Witopia VPN account, but never used their VPN services, and instead had exclusively used their proxy service until its recent demise.

So I'd really like to find some VPN or other service that's offering a similar U.S. based secure, password protected proxy service.

Tunlr and Unblock-US are alternatives. But as others have noted, people who use True as their ISP seem to run into a lot of problems with Unblock-US. And because Tunlr is a free and open web service, I'm not sure how reliable and speed consistent it's likely to be.

Meanwhile, one tip about Netflix. Its servers only require a U.S. IP to START the streaming of any particular program. Once the video has started playing, you actually can drop the VPN connection and revert back to your local ISP connection -- without the VPN overhead -- and it will continue playing until the end of that particular video. I believe NFL Game Rewind operates the same way.

Hulu, however, does not. Even in the middle of a Hulu based show, if their system detects a non-U.S. IP address being used, the playback will stop and you'll get an error message.

• Like 2

Regarding the requests made by a couple members above, I think it's perfectly legitimate to inquire here about alternatives to VPN services for obtaining U.S. or U.K. IP addresses. I'd certainly be happy if anyone here had helpful advice on that point.

I suspect most users here in Thailand do use some variety of VPN to accomplish that end result. But as noted, it's certainly not the optimal method for video streaming.

Before I found Witopia's proxy, I had tried a variety of other services and software packages that dealt just with the IP address issue -- without the VPN aspect -- and none of them were sufficiently fast or reliable. And as one member noted above, Hulu in particular at least used to be very assertive in seeking out and blocking those kinds of services. On the other hand, I never ran into a Hulu block during the years I was using Witopia's proxy service.

So if someone knows of a good, secure, reasonably fast alternative out there (beyond those already mentioned above) for getting the required IP addresses, the info would be much appreciated.

BBC iPlayer and Netflix are easy work arounds. I run the iPlayer desktop, collect new programme data with a UK ip and then download over my native connection.

Hulu is more involved. What's your IT knowledge like?

You need to modify your browser's headers to send the x-forwarded-for with a known US ip value. You may have to update this from time-to-time.

You must then block Hulu's GeoCheck servers as firewall rules. These are known, but you may need to track them yourself.

Depending on your setup you may need to block domains at your router level and all traffic on certain ports at the machine level.

And voila, access to Hulu with no VPN, proxy or other software.

BBC iPlayer and Netflix are easy work arounds. I run the iPlayer desktop, collect new programme data with a UK ip and then download over my native connection.

And voila, access to Hulu with no VPN, proxy or other software.

I'm not sure what approach you're talking about above with Netflix, as at least Netflix USA it doesn't download content... it streams it.

Meanwhile, the steps you mention above re Hulu are beyond my knowledge as a pretty well informed computer user, and I suspect FAR beyond the knowledge level of most folks on ThaiVisa...

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

I just lumped Netflix and iPlayer together. I referenced UK (i.e BBC content) in my example. The principle of passing the geocheck is the same for both.

Re Hulu, I've given you everything you need.

What don't you understand and could not find the answer for with an effective search?

1. Modify browser headers with a plugin. Use FireFox.

2. Find any US IP. What could be simpler than ping?

3. Finding geocheck servers, use Google. Or HTTP Analyzer to see what connections your PC is making. Plenty of documentation around.

4. Firewall rules are beyond you? Refer to the bundled help.

5. Router settings if applicable, see 4.

Anyone can do the above with a little effort.

It's not quite the same thing as being able to enter a single HTTP address into the proxy server option address in one's browser settings, and then enter the corresponding user ID and password for that service.

The proxy server approach takes less than 5 minutes to set up,and almost anyone either knows how to do it or can easily be directed how to find the correct options box in their browser.

Your approach, for someone who doesn't already know how to do it, probably would take many many hours of research and then probably still not arriving at a clear, ongoing, reliable service.

But if it works for you, that's great.

• 2 weeks later...

The point being raised above is a correct one...

To view Netflix or Hulu or the like here, all you need is a U.S. IP address....

VPN services typically can provide that. But they also do more by encrypting your data stream to make it (somewhat secure) from any prying eyes en route, and that means a reduction in your already limited Thailand-international data stream speeds. So that's not ideal for use in video streaming. Particularly when presumably, you don't need to keep secret from anyone that you're watching a Netflix show.

One alternative approach is to use a private/secure proxy service that provides a U.S. IP address. In my extensive tests, using a secure proxy provides a significantly faster, less diminished data speeds compared to any of the VPN protocols, such as Open SSL, PPTP, or IPSec.

Unfortunately, just recently, Witopia.net, the service that I'd been using for a long time to provide my private proxy, ceased providing it, at least temporarily. So overnight with my True 10 Mbps cable connection, I went from being able to stream U.S. video virtually without problem using Witopia's L.A. based proxy to having to rely on their VPN services, and now streaming video is constantly buffering. So I'm not a happy camper.

Witopia had provided their L.A. based proxy service as a free addition along with their paid VPN accounts. So I'd long had a paid Witopia VPN account, but never used their VPN services, and instead had exclusively used their proxy service until its recent demise.

So I'd really like to find some VPN or other service that's offering a similar U.S. based secure, password protected proxy service.

Tunlr and Unblock-US are alternatives. But as others have noted, people who use True as their ISP seem to run into a lot of problems with Unblock-US. And because Tunlr is a free and open web service, I'm not sure how reliable and speed consistent it's likely to be.

Meanwhile, one tip about Netflix. Its servers only require a U.S. IP to START the streaming of any particular program. Once the video has started playing, you actually can drop the VPN connection and revert back to your local ISP connection -- without the VPN overhead -- and it will continue playing until the end of that particular video. I believe NFL Game Rewind operates the same way.

Hulu, however, does not. Even in the middle of a Hulu based show, if their system detects a non-U.S. IP address being used, the playback will stop and you'll get an error message.

many thanks for this informative post...

I have a few Apple TV pods which I used to watch Netflix movies/TV shows (with a free Tunlr DNS setting)....however, very recently, Tunlr seems to no longer work for Netflix....(they have an announcement on their website that Netflix is no longer supported)

I do have HMA VPN paid service, but its web pages say I need to buy an ASUS router and do complicated things with it with "firmware" in order for my Apple TV pods to connect to Netlix...

I really dont want to do this....I am not a techie and I dont want to mess with my current Cisco Lynksys router (and overall set up) which is working fine....

are there any viable (and simple) alternatives to the very simple (but fantastic and free) solution of Tunlr?? if so, much appreciated if you could describe in layman terms...

thanks!

Edited by trajan

Nope only real choice is unotelly now. or unblock US but that will depend if True is your ISP.

Could always get a VPN router preconfigured from sabai technology. But VPN for streaming is always hit and miss too thailand.

Unotelly i think is the best choice now that tunlr.net has given up.

I have a few Apple TV pods which I used to watch Netflix movies/TV shows (with a free Tunlr DNS setting)....however, very recently, Tunlr seems to no longer work for Netflix....(they have an announcement on their website that Netflix is no longer supported)

Wow... thanks for that BAD news about Tunlr re Netflix. After Negreanu had recommended it above in this thread, I had set it up on both my Android smartphone and Android tablet...adjusting the settings for the Wifi connection I used with both at home... Today, I tried it on my Android phone, and got a message saying Netflix not yet serving your country.

As recently as the past week or two, though, I had tested and played Netflix on both during the Thai daytime...and it worked great... Unfortunately, I tried the same during the prime time evening hours here and it wouldn't play well without a lot of buffering...

But for my main Internet video playing PCs at home, I've been testing several different services lately. They tend to work OK during the daytime here, but don't work well in the evenings without a lot of buffering, when I'd mostly be using them for accessing video streaming. So nothing to recommend as yet.

For uses OTHER than video streaming, there are lots of acceptable VPN and proxy options. But for video streaming from the U.S. or Europe here, it seems to be quite a challenge. Although the now discontinued Witopia proxy worked quite well for the past several years even in the evenings here...so I know it can be done.

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Ive been using http://www.freevpnproxy.co.uk for using Netflix US here, was free and streams pretty fast.

They have servers for the UK BBC content aswell. Hope that helps :-)

1. Although they offer a free trial, the service itself isn't free, despite their address name.

2. At about $9 a month or $93 for a full year, depending on the plan chosen, that's a pretty expensive service for a basic VPN. There are lots of others out there that will do essentially the same thing for prices in the $5 to $6 a month range.

• 3 months later...