Espresso Machines In Thailand, Why Is It So Expensive?

balo

I am now in Europe on vacation and I will bring with me back to LOS , a new model from Philips .

Philiips Saeco XSmall

This is a fully automatic espresso machine with a built in grinder.

So all I have to do is switch on a button and wait a few seconds, and I will have a nice cup of fresh espresso

Now I asked Boncafe Thailand about what kind of price they could offer on this model before I left to Europe and the answer was :

We have a great offer for you : 35000 baht .

http://www.boncafe.c...nt/x-small.html

I also checked Central mall in Bangkok and they had the same model for around the same price.

Well I just paid 264 Euros for this model , about 11000 baht .

And it is not a sale , but normal price for it when you order from an online shop. The most expensive price I found was €285

So why is it three times more expensive to buy in Thailand?

This is not the only example , most European espresso machines are at least double the price in Thailand.

Compare this with most electronics and it is the same price or lower price in Thailand when you buy a computer or a printer.

Or if you buy a washing machine, same price as in Europe for the famous brands .

But Coffe machines ?

I could bring with me 3 for the same price BonCafe is asking .

Something is very wrong here , I know about the import taxes but this is just ridicilous.

Edited by balo

Import duties and special fees, I'd imagine.

I enjoy b'fast at Boncafe, and use to view their collection of machines for sale, but like you was not amused with the prices. Mind you Hillkoff machines are really expensive too.

So much for my dream of espresso at my whim at home.

The coffee bar at the new farm project at CMU south east corner has a machine the size of a small bus, with all the bells and whistles: probably cost a fortune which is being paid off I suppose by the high prices - a small cappuccino there in a paper cup is 55B. Mind you the cup is probably made from recycled cardboard.

At Hillkoff a much larger, better tasting cappuccino, in a cup, sans le papier, is 30 or 35B.

So why is it three times more expensive to buy in Thailand?

This is not the only example , most European espresso machines are at least double the price in Thailand.

Something is very wrong here , I know about the import taxes but this is just ridicilous.

I just discovered this while shopping around for an HD projector. The high-end Epsons that are available in the states for around $1500-$2000 (45-60,000 baht) are going for well over 100 thousand baht here. That's absolutely insane.

And what is worse, none of the vendors here seem to be interested in competing against each other. I went to three different shops between Pantip and Zeer and got the exact same printed brochure showing the exact same MSRP's at all three shops. In the US you would have numerous retailers all offering rock-bottom prices (thanks in part to the heavy competition from e-stores) and throwing in incentives to get the sale. No so here.

Anyway I refuse to pay that much of a mark-up. I'll have one carried-in from the states and risk paying the duty at customs (yeah, right).

Anyway I refuse to pay that much of a mark-up. I'll have one carried-in from the states and risk paying the duty at customs (yeah, right).

i believe, the import duty has to be paid on the local market price of the product, not what is shown on the invoice...

at least, so it happens in europe (on tobacco)... but its possible, that tobacco makes (there) an exception, and other goods are taxed on their invoice...

Edited by dingdang

Many imported things are crazy expensive here.

I saw a rowing machine concept 2 model d here for over 80k i imported it from the USA and paid all taxes still only 55k in total. The markups for stuff like that is just crazy.

People just assume you don't know they are a lot cheaper elsewhere.

I think it goes for all of the examples here.

If it really was a market for espresso machines in Thailand . the prices would fall 50-70 % .

As long as only foreigners buy it , Thai retailers just think that they can ask any price.

If you're in Cambodia , check the prices there , its a lot cheaper than Thailand.

100% import duty plus 7% VAT. No other reason.

Fly to HK on Airasia buy the one expresso machine you want fly back you will save 15-20k even after the ticket included smile.png

But why is it 100% import duty ? Why Thailand ?

Fly to HK on Airasia buy the one expresso machine you want fly back you will save 15-20k even after the ticket included :)

Or make friends with a Thai Airways cabin crew or pilot. They can bring loads back from their travels and don't have to pass through customs on the way out of the airport. A cabin crew friend just brought back a huge basket of fresh fruit from NZ.

don't have to pass through customs

Yeh they do. All Crew go through customs. They might not get stopped all the time - but if they are with items that require payment the items will get confiscated or charged like everyone else.

Although less chance of crew getting stopped :)

If it really was a market for espresso machines in Thailand . the prices would fall 50-70 % .

As long as only foreigners buy it , Thai retailers just think that they can ask any price.

If you're in Cambodia , check the prices there , its a lot cheaper than Thailand.

market for espresso machine in Thailand, it's more than you expect, 90% for Thai people, but I can see it because it's my business fieldwink.png

market for espresso machine in Thailand, it's more than you expect, 90% for Thai people, but I can see it because it's my business fieldwink.png

Yes it is a market , Thais love their ice coffee , but why cant they reduce the taxes on these products ?

I bought a washing machine (LG) with front load a few months ago , it was on sale and cost me only 10k in a Bangkok mall. A lot cheaper than in Europe.

So no reason why coffee machines have higher import taxes.....

Yes it is a market , Thais love their ice coffee , but why cant they reduce the taxes on these products ?

I bought a washing machine (LG) with front load a few months ago , it was on sale and cost me only 10k in a Bangkok mall. A lot cheaper than in Europe.

I agree with youbiggrin.png.

Yes me too I found some products are cheaper here than in Europe but maybe because are made here or in some ASEAN country.

• 6 months later...

Was the washing machine import or local produce? Tjat is the difference...

I can bring these things in duty free and was planning to buy 10+ but not sure which model to import. I did the same thing with bbqs a few years ago and asked a group of mates, but nobody wanted one, or couldn't make up their mind until several months later, when of course it was too late. I reckon if I bought in a basic, reliable (bullet proof) model, which was in everyone's price range then, even with a 20% mark up they would sell like hotcakes.

Maybe if the coffee machine is produced in ASEAN countries , it will be sold at a cheaper price , just like washing machines.

But I doubt it , I think most dealers try to sell to foreigners only .

Also the 55' Sony led tvs coasts over 700€ more in Thailand then in eu!

In one word high quality electronic in thai much more higher! 20 year ago in Europe was same high end expensive , and food cheap now it's via versa!

Most of the big coffe mashines no name

Are exactly the same Modell then a big

Known Swiss brand , only the name different!

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

that is a pretty foolish assumption.

why would every major department store offer 6 or 7 options if foreigners are the only market.

dont kid yourself, for every foreigner that can afford one of these items 20 Thais have already bought one.

liking coffee is not an exclusively foreign thing. It is ignorant to assume it is.

• Like 1

I would have bought myself already long time a fully automatic machine, but the prices are far too high here.

The Thais I know use theirs more for show, than espresso making.

If someone comes up with a reasonably priced machine, PM me....

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by StefanBBK

I would have bought myself already long time a fully automatic machine, but the prices are far too high here.

The Thais I know use theirs more for show, than espresso making.

If someone comes up with a reasonably priced machine, PM me....

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I own two espresso machines , the last one, a fully automatic Philips Saecco I brought with me from Europe last year , I paid only €264 on sale for it. about 11000 baht.

The same machine is sold at Central here in BKK for 38000 baht , on sale laugh.png

I will sell my old machine , if youre interested. It's an Ascaso Uno PM . Made in Spain. But it's not fully automatic. I paid 26000 for it from Boncafe Thailand, that was 2 years ago. Probably sells for 10000 in Spain. My model is from 2010 but it looks the same as in the picture.

http://www.ascaso.com/2012/eng/espresso-coffee-machines-grinders/steel1.html

Good espresso machines are imported, especially from Italy. If you're into boiler explosions, try to find a cheap Chines made one on Alibaba.

I've checked the prices in several store and we decided on one from Boncafe with a separate grinder. They will service it for you and do repairs. You need to service the machine every three to six months, even in the case of home use. Boncafe's Arabica coffee is good too.

There are several franchise outfits around Thailand, often attached to a northern coffee producer. We talked with a few at a trade fair a while back. The sales chat is good but when it comes to the cost of the machines and the certainty of supply of beans, the sales pitch fell apart. Boncafe is the most reliable we have found.

My experience of buying overseas is that no-one here is interested in servicing. Importing an espresso machine is risky. Also, you may get stuffed at Customs.

My experience of buying overseas is that no-one here is interested in servicing. Importing an espresso machine is risky. Also, you may get stuffed at Customs.

Welll when the price for the coffee machine is 70% cheaper , I dont need their servicing , I clean the machine myself and if I need spare parts I order them from Europe.

My first machine I bought from Boncafe , never used their service .

Edited by balo

Welll when the price for the coffee machine is 70% cheaper , I dont need their servicing , I clean the machine myself and if I need spare parts I order them from Europe.

My first machine I bought from Boncafe , never used their service .

Your choice, no problem.

Cleaning and back-washing is a regular task. If you know how to repair an espresso machine, all well and good.