Neighbourhoods

I am retired and enjoy bumming around Asia. Over the past 5 years I've used Vietnam (Saigon) as my base, spending 2-3 months very year in Saigon.

From my numerous visits to Thailand (Bangkok or?) it seems like an easier place to be. My problem is, Bangkok is overwhelming and I can't figuare where to start. I have asked Thai friends to help in looking for a place and with the same result as here in Saigon, they talk about where they live or would like to live.

Any tips on how to decide on where to live and what each area offers?

Thanks, Doug

I am retired and enjoy bumming around Asia. Over the past 5 years I've used Vietnam (Saigon) as my base, spending 2-3 months very year in Saigon.

From my numerous visits to Thailand (Bangkok or?) it seems like an easier place to be. My problem is, Bangkok is overwhelming and I can't figuare where to start. I have asked Thai friends to help in looking for a place and with the same result as here in Saigon, they talk about where they live or would like to live.

Thanks, Doug

Sukhumvit Soi 4 - 63 (Ekkamai): the expats' Ghetto. Good place to find English newspapers, Starbucks and western standard healthcare. Bad place if you want to experience the "real" Thailand, whatever that is. Expensive. Most expats could not imagine to live anywhere else. Skytrain.

Sukhumvit 71 and up (Phrakhanong, Onnut): working class neighbourhood. Especially in Phrakhanong, "working" means prostitution for the female part of the population. Very cheap. Can be a bit rough. Thais will frown if they hear someone lives there. Skytrain.

Bangna: mostly known for traffic jams. Cheap. A mixed bag. Convenient if you like to go to Pattaya often.

Samrong: a rough neighbourhood. Cheap. Bad traffic.

Ramkhamhaeng: lots of village youth who hang out here, the majority of "students" at Ramkhamhaeng University do not really study. Very crowded. Also lots of Chinese, Koreans, Muslims. 24 hours hi-speed internet, 24-hour- pharmacies (mainly to sell the pill) - an almost never-ending market. Priced for students. Traffic jam (real bad) starts at 7 a.m. and ends some time after midnight.

Between Ploenchit and MBK: nobody lives here. Office towers and shopping centers.

Old city (Rattanakosin Island): government offices and tourist attractions. Nobody lives here either. Thais usually don't go here. The backpackers' ghetto is here.

Silom/Sathorn: rich people, expats and package tourists. Banks. Airlines. Office workers commute here and leave in the evening. Skytrain. Very boring: almost no nightmarkets, no street vendors. expensive. Patpong.

Around Victory Monument and further north until Rachayothin: more or less Thai middle class. Skytrain. Students at universities who either really study or don't need to study (dad has money) - not like Ramkhamhaeng. Skytrain. Many nice places to live in decent neighbourhoods.

Ladprao: huge residential areas. This is where Bangkokians really live. Traffic is a headache, and you would probably be bored like hel_l here - in the "real" Thailand.

Have a look at the areas along the subway - I am not familiar with them.

Thanks, Doug

Sukhumvit Soi 4 - 63 (Ekkamai): the expats' Ghetto. Good place to find English newspapers, Starbucks and western standard healthcare. Bad place if you want to experience the "real" Thailand, whatever that is. Expensive. Most expats could not imagine to live anywhere else. Skytrain.

Sukhumvit 71 and up (Phrakhanong, Onnut): working class neighbourhood. Especially in Phrakhanong, "working" means prostitution for the female part of the population. Very cheap. Can be a bit rough. Thais will frown if they hear someone lives there. Skytrain.

Bangna: mostly known for traffic jams. Cheap. A mixed bag. Convenient if you like to go to Pattaya often.

Ramkhamhaeng: lots of village youth who hang out here, the majority of "students" at Ramkhamhaeng University do not really study. Very crowded. Also lots of Chinese, Koreans, Muslims. 24 hours hi-speed internet, 24-hour- pharmacies (mainly to sell the pill) - an almost never-ending market. Priced for students. Traffic jam (real bad) starts at 7 a.m. and ends some time after midnight.

Between Ploenchit and MBK: nobody lives here. Office towers and shopping centers.

Old city (Rattanakosin Island): government offices and tourist attractions. Nobody lives here either. Thais usually don't go here. The backpackers' ghetto is here.

Silom/Sathorn: rich people, expats and package tourists. Banks. Airlines. Office workers commute here and leave in the evening. Skytrain. Very boring: almost no nightmarkets, no street vendors. expensive. Patpong.

Around Victory Monument and further north until Rachayothin: more or less Thai middle class. Skytrain. Students at universities who either really study or don't need to study (dad has money) - not like Ramkhamhaeng. Skytrain. Many nice places to live in decent neighbourhoods.

Ladprao: huge residential areas. This is where Bangkokians really live. Traffic is a headache, and you would probably be bored like hel_l here - in the "real" Thailand.

Good post uhuh.

I'm sure it this will be a good 'rough guide' to many a reader.

Cheers

Aitch

Good info - yes, I did a walk around in the Victory Monument area on my last visit, seemed like a good area. So its nice to have a little reinforcement. Thanks.

Thanks, Doug

Great guide above!

One area I'd add is HUAY KWANG along the subway around Rachada. Good for anyone who wants away from the farang areas but wants to retain the bright lights/busy atmosphere and avoid the Thai suburbs. Like Phra Khanong full of nighttime girls just that these work with Asians. Farangs are truly peripheral in Rachada. Nevertheless if you wanted to court trouble I think you could very easily find it. Minding your own business and it should be OK!

• 5 months later...

Thanks, Doug

I presume you've never been to Bangkok judging from that post.

Thanks, Doug

Hi Doug:

The info posted by another member about Bangna is donkey years old, b4 bangnatrad rd was turned into a super-highway linked to te new airport. It is the only link to the beaches in the gulf of Thailand eg pattaya, rayong, etc. I lived there for 7 years.

sathorn - plenty of night markets and cheap places to eat. real thai area, not too many bar girls just working class around thanon chan/ st louis/sathu pradit/ yen arkart/ rama 3. not enough farangs to bring the tone of the place down :o

Edited by leftcross

• 2 months later...