ไหว้ป้าประหลกๆ

klons

ไหว้ป้าประหลกๆ wai Auntie ประหลกๆ

What kind of wai is that? I couldn't find a dictionary listing for ประหลก or ประหลกๆ

It's said as ประหลกประหลก I think, judging by what I saw while googling for it.

I think you're spelling is wrong (but pronunciation is correct). The word is ปลกand it means to salute repeatedly.

Both of these spellings are used in the same story. Later on it has ดีนี่ดีใจรีบยกมือไหว้ปลกๆ (I understand that.)

So now I'm thinking the first one ไหว้ป้าประหลกๆ may be an expression meaning you should be thankful to me.

In any case I guess both spellings mean the same thing.

Thank you

Googling "ประหลกๆ" (with quote marks) only brings up about 38,000 hits, virtually all of which are on forums, blogs or twitter. I'm guessing that this is either one of the crazy spellings used on-line, or it's a genuine mistake. "ปลกๆ" itself isn't a very common expression, with only 222,000 hits, so it's perfectly possible that not everybody is familiar with the correct spelling.

If I may continue in the Hi So fashion world story without starting a new topic,

what does เละตุ้มเป๊ะ mean ? I’m aware there is a song by that name but what does it mean? In this example one must do everything exactly right, anyone who doesn’t

ก็ต้องเละตุ้มเป๊ะ

ต้องเป๊ะทุกอย่าง ต้องตรงเวลาเป๊ะ เสื้อผ้าหน้าผมเป๊ะ รายละเอียดทุกอย่างเป๊ะ ถ้าใครไม่เป๊ะ ก็ต้องเละตุ้มเป๊ะ

The Royal Institute's "Dictionary of New Words, Volume 1" contains the following entry:

"เละตุ้มเป๊ะ ก. ไม่ประสบผลสำเร็จ, ปั่นป่วนทำให้เกิดความวุ่นวาย, ไม่เป็นระเบียบ, เช่น ประธานไม่มีความสามารถ การประชุมเลยเละตุ้มเป๊ะอย่างนี้."

My translation:

. . . to be unsuccessful, is confused and chaotic, is out of control, for example, 'The chairman is incompetent so that the meeting is in total chaos.'

"ต้องเป๊ะทุกอย่าง ต้องตรงเวลาเป๊ะ เสื้อผ้าหน้าผมเป๊ะ รายละเอียดทุกอย่างเป๊ะ ถ้าใครไม่เป๊ะ ก็ต้องเละตุ้มเป๊ะ"

"Everything must be just so: [everything] must happen right on time; the clothes, makeup, and hair styles must be just right; all the details must be perfect; if anyone makes a mistake, chaos will result."

What do you think?

Edited by DavidHouston

On another forum it's translated as "totally smashed" and there's an explanation "This is a slang to describe an item or group of item has been destroy to the most messy state. Picture a watermelon being smashed on the floor and it's skin, meat, juice are everywhere..."

On another forum it's translated as "totally smashed" and there's an explanation "This is a slang to describe an item or group of item has been destroy to the most messy state. Picture a watermelon being smashed on the floor and it's skin, meat, juice are everywhere..."

AyG,

Might a synonym be "สะเปะสะปะ /sàˑpèˑsàˑpà/ [ADV] disorderedly

Syn. เปะปะ,สะเปะสะปะ

Related word: เปะปะ"

or

" เลอะเทอะ /lə́ˑtʰə́/ [V] be stained

Syn. เลอะเทอะ,สกปรก,เปรอะเปื้อน,เปรอะ,เปื้อน,เลอะ,เลอะเทอะเปรอะเปื้อน" ?

Thanks all, I understand it now.

I wonder if the The Royal Institute's "Dictionary of New Words, Volume 1" is online. It's probably

covered on the forum somewhere so I'll search first and ask questions later.

Thanks all, I understand it now.

I wonder if the The Royal Institute's "Dictionary of New Words, Volume 1" is online. It's probably

covered on the forum somewhere so I'll search first and ask questions later.

All three volumes are available in pdf format at the Royal Institute website:

Volume 1: http://www.royin.go.th/upload/246/FileUpload/2097_5163.pdf

Volume 2: http://www.royin.go.th/upload/246/FileUpload/1823_9431.pdf

Volume 3: http://www.royin.go.th/upload/246/FileUpload/2099_8105.pdf

In these examples แถ means to clear up or explain away a situation.

Would that be correct ?

บุ๋มยังแถต่อ Boom continued to explain away

ป้ากบแถแก้ต่างให้ Auntie Frog offered up an explanation to clear things up

แถ is in the RID . I don’t understand all of it but I get

a bird etc. banking in for a landing; flat like a tile or photo

clear something off like your hair.

Royal Inst Dict

แถ ๑

ก. อาการที่นกเป็นต้นเอียงปีกร่อนลง, อาการที่ของแบน ๆ เช่นกระเบื้อง

หรือรูป แฉลบหรือร่อนไปเฉียง ๆ, โดยปริยายเรียกอาการที่คล้ายคลึง

เช่นนั้น เช่น วัน ๆ ไม่เห็นทำการทำงานได้แต่แถไปโน่นไปนี่.

แถ ๒

(ถิ่น–อีสาน) ก. ทําให้เตียน, ทําให้โล่ง, เช่น แถผม แถหัว หมายถึง

โกนผม โกนหัว.

Nevermind; I found it in my new slang dictionary. Other people have probably done this but I just thought of it.

I pasted from every slang site I could find onto a word document, so now if I can't find a word I just search my computer first

instead of the net. แถ came up on my slang document.

http://twitter.com/thai_idioms

แถ /tĚE/ lit."to slide" = (slang, pejorative) to dissemble, using false/muddled/perverse reasoning in attempt not to lose argument