Bangkok Street Pics...

zappalot

Evaluating photos cost time and is exhausting, isnt it? At least I enjoy just watching them a lot more.

To make it more easy with my pics i would be happy if u just rat them lets say on a scale from 1 - 10 where 1 is very bad and 10 is extraordinarily sensational. Of course everyone is welcome to put an extra comment...

So lets begin here:

bangkok_honey_sale_212.jpg

Of course i forgot to describe: the honey selling couple was sitting in the shadow whilst the sun was shining. It would have been better if they would have been siting in the sun instead of sitting in the shadow, right? but anyway i think its not to bad and what make the picture interesting to me is how the woman in the back is looking... my view always is running from his face to her face and back. the honey stuff is not catching my attention that much...

and here i love the colors of this nightshot. during the day time this photo would not make sense, just the colors of the night lights make it attractive to me..

bangkok_townhouse_guesthouse__1000_203.jpg

ISO: 400

Exposure: 2.0 sec

Aperture: 6.3

Focal Length: 42mm

You want analysis? Here goes.

The honeycomb man is interesting, but as a face not all that interesting. There's nothing too unique about his hair, his wrinkles, his eyes, his expression, his clothing - the usual hallmarks of making a picture of nothing but a human face (in and of itself a very common and therefore boring sight to us) captivating to look at in a photo.

For that reason, I feel more drawn to the honeycomb because I've had very little exposure to the wonders (to me, at least) of honey production. The juxtaposition (I hate that word) of the finished product next to the comb is a nice touch as well. So, for me at least, the honeycomb basket is a much more interesting subject than the man. Of course, the man does add a lot to this photo - a picture of just the basket and contents would not be as good as having the man in the frame. He helps give context of this honey bonanza being a man's work and living, that adds that human aspect that we all like to see in a photo. Without him, there's no way of knowing if this is your honey operation, which would make it feel more of a "here is what I like to do" snapshot, or maybe even just an exhibit in a museum, or just a random cluster of honeycomb in the wild. But because the man is so prominent, the honeycomb seems secondary. I only noticed that there were still bees on the thing the 3rd or 4th time I looked.

On your comments about the couple and the sun, well, the woman behind seems more of a distraction, especially with the head-coming-out-of-the-shoulder effect. Of course, you can't always avoid it without telling people to move their butt, but it certainly doesn't seem like they're a couple. About the sun, though, shade gives a softer, less harsh light quality due to the light source being reflected light from everywhere but the sky - a much closer and larger source than the sun. Bringing them out into the sun would produce a harder, contrasty light that would be good if you were trying to exaggerate the roughness of their lifestyle, but I think the softer light is a plus in this case. However, it looks like some of the honey combs were sitting in the sun just past the shadow line and they're getting a bit over-exposed as a result. While to our eyes the difference in brightness between sun and shade is minimal, to a camera it's night and day (excuse the pun).

So, in conclusion, I feel there could've been more attention to the honeycomb as the main subject. Currently my eyes jump back and forth, because the honeycomb is so interesting, but it looks like the man is the key subject in the image. If you got a little lower, zoomed out all the way (if possible) and closer to exaggerate the perspective difference, and focused on the honey comb with the man in the background, I think it would've been stellar. If that doesn't provide enough subject-background separation, especially if you can't get wide enough and if you're on a P&S, then try backing up so you're from the basket about twice the distance of the basket to the man, focus on the basket, and zoom in as far as you can while keeping it in the frame. This'll get you a bit closer to a shallow depth of field (but still keeping the man identifiable) to help with separation.

Overall, I'd say 6/10. Could be made a 7 or even an 8 with a single, clear subject.

P.S. On closer inspection, his expression is fairly odd. You feel him smiling, but, technically, that's one hell of a frown. I'm confused (not with the photo, but just in general with my entire upbringing that frown = sadness, smile = happy).

P.S.S. That's all I can do today. I'm exhausted. One at a time :P

• Like 2

Maxwell, wow i think i am impressed. That is by far the best analysis i ever got if not the best analysis on one photo i ever have seen.

Thanks so much for this.

i try to learn from it and make the best out of it.

Here a pic where i first thought "how cute". finally just an ordinary shot, nothing special at all. The mother allowed me to take the pics of her daughters, i did several pics but what i saw at home then was just disappointing.

bangkok_honey_sale_216.jpg

BUT: then they left this place and continued on their way. And then without any planning i did a nice shot...

here i love the colors and especially how one of the little girls is looking back. Nice colors and i get what i wanted - even if completely unexpected.

bangkok_honey_sale_214.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I like your first photo, honey etc. What I was thinking of looking at it was that it should be cropped so it was straight. Nov it looks like the bottle and the man will fall over.

But then I read Maxwells analysis and that was a very good analyse that I also learn from!

Second photo is also out of balance and maybe nothing to focus on.

And I also like no 4! A good snapshot!

• 5 months later...