Mini Oven ?

seasia

Hi

I`ve noticed for sale some mini ovens, anywhere from sub 1000 Baht upwards.

Are they any good?

A little tired of fried food.

Would they effectively bake/roast a piece or 2 of raw chicken to make a healthier change from frying?

Could they also be used for heating food up?

If so, any specific recommendations or things to look for?

Thanks smile.png

Hi

I`ve noticed for sale some mini ovens, anywhere from sub 1000 Baht upwards.

Are they any good?

A little tired of fried food.

Would they effectively bake/roast a piece or 2 of raw chicken to make a healthier change from frying?

Could they also be used for heating food up?

If so, any specific recommendations or things to look for?

Thanks smile.png

Sent from my GT-P6200L using Thaivisa Connect App

Get a george forman grill and pam spray. Healthy. Sorted.

I have a small gas oven/stove floor unit, essentially western-style but on the small side and not as robustly made. However, it was cheap, about 6000 baht a number of years ago (maybe 8000 nowadays?). Probably not much more than a countertop electric unit.

It has an upper and middle rack, can bake a full-sized roast, or a couple chickens, or even a small turkey (which I have done). I can bake a 15" pizza, cakes, cookies, full-sized casseroles, etc in it.

I do like that the gas allows us to operate it through the frequent power outages, and the operation costs compared to electricity are so much less.

A combination microwave/oven can be a very useful kitchen tool. Depending on the quality and size of the machine, roasts, chicken, whole chickens, fish, cookies, dinner rolls can all be cooked to a good standard.

For a couple of years or so I had an attack of cheapness and did not want to buy a gas burner so I used one of these machines for my meals.

If you have the extra cash, get one of these... Not sure of the price in Thailand, but I would think 50k+

I use a sharp (dont even think about otto or those other crap brands) brand electric oven; looks like a oversized toaster oven. You can set the temp (up to 250 celsius) and control whether you want the top coil or bottom coil on or both.

Cost a bit over 2k when bought; but works great; just like a real oven except for the size. Bought it at Carrifour/big C

• Like 1

If you mean this kind of oven, it's more like a toaster with a hatch.

rerna01.jpg

I have it in Japan, in Thai too. Indispensable. Use it at least once a day. They are more for things that need up to 15 mins of cooking. Say, a salmon fillet or a steak.

Toast, garlic bread, ad-hoc pizza bread. Even egs can be fried in there with not a drop of oil.

• Like 1

I previously had an Otto but it was much larger than your average toaster oven - around 2600 Baht. I could bake cakes, pork roasts, pies, etc. It worked very well and used it for several years before one element burned out. Went looking for the exact same model but could only find the small toaster ovens. Finally located a place with several choices and picked up the one below. Larger than the Otto with a rotisserie motor, blower fans, upper and lower heating elements and quite large cooking area. The brand is Zanussi and is an Electrolux branch - cost a little over 3000 Baht but very happy with it.

post-566-0-00583500-1342005464_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The little round fan ovens are good if you're limited on space. I had an Otto one and used it for chicken, pork and even lamb chops. Get's damned hot and you can cook anything you can fit in it.

I previously had an Otto but it was much larger than your average toaster oven - around 2600 Baht. I could bake cakes, pork roasts, pies, etc. It worked very well and used it for several years before one element burned out. Went looking for the exact same model but could only find the small toaster ovens. Finally located a place with several choices and picked up the one below. Larger than the Otto with a rotisserie motor, blower fans, upper and lower heating elements and quite large cooking area. The brand is Zanussi and is an Electrolux branch - cost a little over 3000 Baht but very happy with it.

I've considered getting a more robust oven many times but always come to the same conclusion, I wouldn't use it. The little 590 Baht toaster oven is seriously hopeless but it will grill fish and roast pumpkin which is all I would use it for even if I had a bigger and or better one. I steam or BBQ most things.

That's a way bigger and more functional than what I have. Ovens are not common in Japan, hardly any JP food is prepared that way. Thai food could be the same.

Mine little toaster oven was 300B in Thai, about the same as in Japan. Good chance it was made in Thai.

I was looking for a microwave and optionally an oven about 6 months ago. Was going for the Samsung microwave-convection oven, but eventually decided on a standard microwave oven and a separate electric round convection oven. One of those that is a big glass bowl with the heating element and fan on the lid. It works quite well for what I want. Have cooked pizza, meat pies, lasagne, fish and chicken breasts in there no problem. Cooked a whole chicken, which was ok, but lot of time/cleaning for a chicken that tasted no better than what can buy on street. One problem with it is that food is quite close to the element/fan, so cooking for a long time (1hr+) is difficult.

Can't remember the exact price - around 1500Baht? Buying it and a normal microwave was cheaper than the microwave-convection oven (5000-6000 Baht). The brand is HouseWorth. Bought in Makro. There were others similar price and cheaper. This one had a removable power cord which is convenient.

Heated up some moo ping and chicken tonight no problems. So worth considering such an oven if you are going to do some casual cooking as well as reheating.

• Like 1

I was looking for a microwave and optionally an oven about 6 months ago. Was going for the Samsung microwave-convection oven, but eventually decided on a standard microwave oven and a separate electric round convection oven. One of those that is a big glass bowl with the heating element and fan on the lid. It works quite well for what I want. Have cooked pizza, meat pies, lasagne, fish and chicken breasts in there no problem. Cooked a whole chicken, which was ok, but lot of time/cleaning for a chicken that tasted no better than what can buy on street. One problem with it is that food is quite close to the element/fan, so cooking for a long time (1hr+) is difficult.

Can't remember the exact price - around 1500Baht? Buying it and a normal microwave was cheaper than the microwave-convection oven (5000-6000 Baht). The brand is HouseWorth. Bought in Makro. There were others similar price and cheaper. This one had a removable power cord which is convenient.

Heated up some moo ping and chicken tonight no problems. So worth considering such an oven if you are going to do some casual cooking as well as reheating.

Friend of mine has one of the glass 'ovens', she done a roast chicken with veggies and it turned out OK. Nothing special but also nothing wrong.

Hi

Thanks for all the answers, appreciated.smile.png

I`m going to buy one, seems as though it would do what I want.

Just need to decide on type.

edwinclapham, Thanks for the links, interesting.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Hi

Thanks for all the answers, appreciated.smile.png

I`m going to buy one, seems as though it would do what I want.

Just need to decide on type.

edwinclapham, Thanks for the links, interesting.

Cheers.

While you may have found what you want, be aware of how usable the machine may be.

I have something similar, have not seen it for 3 years. Sits burried somewhere, whenever it comes to it, nobody wants to bother and dig it out.

Makro, 2,999 baht:

Large convection counter/table oven... toasts, slow-cooks, bakes/roasts, broils & rotisserie... pizzas, ribs, wings, roasts, whole chickens, cookies, bread, etc... typically lasts 2-4 years (nearly daily use)... Excellent (essential for me) farang kitchen appliance... if you don't have a full-size oven.

cool.png

post-72929-0-72707200-1342279091_thumb.j

Edited by Michaelaway
  • Like 2

Makro, 2,999 baht:

Large convection counter/table oven... toasts, slow-cooks, bakes/roasts, broils & rotisserie... pizzas, ribs, wings, roasts, whole chickens, cookies, bread, etc... typically lasts 2-4 years (nearly daily use)... Excellent (essential for me) farang kitchen appliance... if you don't have a full-size oven.

cool.png

I have one of these ovens and consider it one of the best things I have purchased whilst living here. It's often used to make full roast dinners (thinking about it I might do one tonight).

Out of interest what kind of results do you get using the rotisserie function when cooking a whole chicken? What are the advantages over simply roasting it in the standard manner?

• 2 weeks later...

I have one of those round glass Otto ovens for the last 7 years, and love it. I cook 2 chicken leg quaters

for 1 hour at 350F and the skin gets crispy and the meat is juicy. Best 1000 baht I ever spent.

Ive had several type's over here and none of them grill well because of their lack of top element's. Just over a year ago I got same as above but I got the one with a S/Steel bottom thought that if the cooking thing went down the pan I would be left with at least a pot to cook in on the gas ring's. How has it been well I can tell you for just over 1,000bt the best investment I've ever made, the oven I had before large rotisserie type same as what's been mentioned by most peep's has now been put in a spare room never to be used again. The new one cook's better, quicker, roast potato's, even Thai spud's come out great, and I have found if you roast a chicken or any meat come to that if you put some water in the bottom of the external dish it has a steaming effect and all the meat's come out juicy and they don't shrink. Has two level's large stuff hole chicken ect cooked on the bottom setting and thing's like chop's chicken leg's cooked at the top. Then we get to the cleaning you just try and clean a rotisserie oven well dont as it's a nightmare, but the one I use now is just a wipe over of the electric part's and a quick dunk into some soapy water for the base and bingo just like new. Tip if anyone get's one the max you need to cook at is 180 med: chicken will be done in less that and hour. They also heat up in a matter of Min: as against 15 + for the rotisserie type. That's just my opinion but I was a chef for over 40 year's. Edited by fredob43

Makro, 2,999 baht:

cool.png

I have one of these ovens and consider it one of the best things I have purchased whilst living here. It's often used to make full roast dinners (thinking about it I might do one tonight).

Out of interest what kind of results do you get using the rotisserie function when cooking a whole chicken? What are the advantages over simply roasting it in the standard manner?

Well, good question. We're on our third one of these large convection toaster ovens (in 7 years) now. We also consider it indispensable for our home, and it gets pretty much daily use (2 potatoes & 6 heads of garlic roasting as we speak). But, to tell the truth, we've never used the rotisserie function, not even once. The reason is simple really. When we got the first one, I thought, "Wow, Rotisserie! Maybe chickens, ducks, roasts, kebabs- yum!"

And then I envisioned the clean-up... and immediately decided the "standard manner" is fine.

cool.png

post-72929-0-01980300-1343103194_thumb.j

Makro, 2,999 baht:

cool.png

Well, good question. We're on our third one of these large convection toaster ovens (in 7 years) now. We also consider it indispensable for our home, and it gets pretty much daily use (2 potatoes & 6 heads of garlic roasting as we speak). But, to tell the truth, we've never used the rotisserie function, not even once. The reason is simple really. When we got the first one, I thought, "Wow, Rotisserie! Maybe chickens, ducks, roasts, kebabs- yum!"

And then I envisioned the clean-up... and immediately decided the "standard manner" is fine.

cool.png

Regarding the cleaning...use a roasting Bag over the chicken...juices will be collected and make good gravy.

Roasting bag good idea problem is you can only use it with Chicken eveything else it's a no no. If you put water in the base of a convection oven as I suggested and don't use a dish only the tray's supplied it will also make a good sauce/gravy well a good start to one anyway.

Makro, 2,999 baht:

cool.png

cool.png

Regarding the cleaning...use a roasting Bag over the chicken...juices will be collected and make good gravy.

I truly can not see using the rotisserie feature to turn & roast anything with a bag over it... (are you sure about this?)

I bought a supposed high-end toaster oven. It cost me about 6,000 or 7,000 baht. What a waste! It was pretty much incapable of doing much. Even simple garlic bread was a push for it.

I then bought an Electrolux full oven, on sale for less than 20,000 baht. I had a guy make a stand and case for it, but that was a joke, so I just stuck it temporarily on a piece of wood on top of my washer. The "temporarily" has turned out to be almost 4 years now.

I am somewhat of a snob when it comes to ovens. Back in the US, I would not use anything other than a Wolf. But I have been very surprised, pleasantly so, by the Electrolux. It really works great. The only thing I have to keep in mind when broiling is to set up a fan and open the sliding door to take care of the smoke. For roasting or baking, no special steps need to be taken.

If you're not so pressed for space, these Minoyas are great value for around 3,000 THB from Makro

spd_20090908133130_b.jpg

I've done legs of lamb, joints of pork, chicken, pizzas and all sorts. Cooks perfectly well. The spit roast is rubbish, and the timer only goes up to 1 hour, but for the money it's brilliant.

I've also got one of these from Otto

CO-707H.gif

Which is actually a better over, great when I was living in the condo but a bit restrictive on space.

If you're not so pressed for space, these Minoyas are great value for around 3,000 THB from Makro

spd_20090908133130_b.jpg

I've done legs of lamb, joints of pork, chicken, pizzas and all sorts. Cooks perfectly well. The spit roast is rubbish, and the timer only goes up to 1 hour, but for the money it's brilliant.

Nice one. I'd say that any oven capable of cooking a leg of lamb well would be good enough for practically anything.