Driving With The Tailgate Down?

I have to transport something slightly bigger than the bed of my truck so need to leave the tailgate down. Is this actually legal? I will have to go through Bangkok preferably on toll roads is that ok too?

You need to have a secured COVERED load if using toll roads. And if over the bed you need a red flag.

even with all that you will still get stopped and fined. Good luck :ph34r:

sent from my Wellcom A90+

I have to transport something slightly bigger than the bed of my truck so need to leave the tailgate down. Is this actually legal? I will have to go through Bangkok preferably on toll roads is that ok too?

You need to have a secured COVERED load if using toll roads. And if over the bed you need a red flag.

even with all that you will still get stopped and fined. Good luck ph34r.png

Went throught this a week ago. had a sofa very securly tied down, Did not extend passed the down tailgate that was down. I was stopped on Toll way 9 between the airport and bang Pa in by hiway police. Took out my Thai traffice law book translated in English and asked what law I broke. Only a flag is needed if it extends beyond the tailgate down, and if it is secured and can not fly out, it does not need to be covered.

wasn't about to pay soon crooked police officers lunch. They seem to pray on the week and un educated

Went throught this a week ago. had a sofa very securly tied down, Did not extend passed the down tailgate that was down. I was stopped on Toll way 9 between the airport and bang Pa in by hiway police. Took out my Thai traffice law book translated in English and asked what law I broke. Only a flag is needed if it extends beyond the tailgate down, and if it is secured and can not fly out, it does not need to be covered.

wasn't about to pay soon crooked police officers lunch. They seem to pray on the week and un educated

AFAIK on toll roads any items in the back need to be covered. Only on toll roads, on all other roads you're correct.

Thanks people, so tailgate down but load not sticking out further than gate, securely tied down, coverd and with a red flag for luck is actually ok but likely to be stopped for tea money from our friendly bib. Cheers, will give it a go and see what happens.

Thanks people, so tailgate down but load not sticking out further than gate, securely tied down, coverd and with a red flag for luck is actually ok but likely to be stopped for tea money from our friendly bib. Cheers, will give it a go and see what happens.

No, IMO not a correct conclusion.

I want a copy of that book!

A few days ago on Motorway 9 returning to Pattaya I saw a 6 wheel truck with an extension on the tailgate every bit of 5 metres long. The load was covered and roped, but no red flag.

Edited by BSJ

Would you be nice to some of us and say where you got the Thai traffice law book translated in English?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry, which bit is incorrect? Is there something else i should do? Or even if i did all that still not legal on toll roads, or just i shouldnt be worried about being stopped?

On toll roads if items in the bed they all need to be covered.

• 7 years later...
34 minutes ago, Lancashirelad said:

Does that include Aunty Lek, Uncle Somchai & the dog?

Smart response, but then again you had 7+ years to think about it. The rule hasn't changed BTW.

Edited by stevenl

More like 7 seconds from reading the quoted post. Wasn't me that revived the old thread. It has has been linked to from another recent thread.

Reading the above posts it seems to be a controversial point as to whether a load does need to be covered or not.

12 hours ago, Lancashirelad said:

More like 7 seconds from reading the quoted post. Wasn't me that revived the old thread. It has has been linked to from another recent thread.

Reading the above posts it seems to be a controversial point as to whether a load does need to be covered or not.

The law is very clear, on tollways the load needs to be covered.

On 10/4/2019 at 6:19 AM, stevenl said:

The law is very clear,

...and then I looked out the window.

I guess the take-home from all this is that once again, the chances of whether any traffic cop on any given day (or night) on any road, be it highway or expressway, in any part of Thailand will issue a ticket for anything are still totally impossible to quantify or predict.