Pentax

What kind of reputation do they have in the camera world Vic? I've got a bridge camera at the moment and I was quite impressed with just how much 'snappier' the Pentax was. They've got the K-r on sale with an 18-55 and a 50-200 for £440.

I've worked with guys who won't use anything else. The big issue with them right now is people worry about how long they will be around. The Pentax corporation has actually ceased to exist as a company and the brand is now owned by Richo, after a brief time as a subsiduary of Hoya. They've had some technology partnerships with Samsung, and it wouldn't surprise me to see them aquired by Samsung in the future.

Apparently their 'anti-shake' (for want of a better word) system is built into their camera bodies so you don't have to buy it again every time you buy a new lens.

Surely the degree of anti-shake depends on the focal length

and is therefore better incorporated in the lens?

Apparently their 'anti-shake' (for want of a better word) system is built into their camera bodies so you don't have to buy it again every time you buy a new lens.

Surely the degree of anti-shake depends on the focal length

and is therefore better incorporated in the lens?

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/pentax/k100d-super-slr/pentax-k100d-super-slr-review-2.html#b

I've had the Pentax K-5 since January 2012.

It's just made better than Canon and Nikon's APS-C offerings and scores very, very high DXOMark. The price for body only in the UK is now under £700. Pentax have been bought by Ricoh who are flogging off the K-5 ready for a replacement in the Autumn.

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Camera-Sensor-Ratings/

I recommend the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 Di II non-VC lens for general purposes, get one made in Japan rather than Taiwan and don't bother with a 50mm prime, the Tamron is just as sharp.

6997394308_8e35ee65b5_b.jpg

I also have the Sigma 8-16mm super-wide angle lens which is great for interesting stuff but really no good as a landscape lens (flare, bit soft).

6941323973_2185874e63_b.jpg

For macro shots, the Pentax 100mm DA Macro is supposedly very sharp.

Coupled with Lightroom 3, it's perfect for me.

• Like 2

Going a few times a weeks in the jungle, wet, humid, sweating too, I give my Canon a lot of pressure and the 7D, despite claimed as "tropicalized body" suffered in 14 months of life of 2 mayor issues fixed by Canon BKK, both caused by wet, mold or other wet-connected issues. Now I got a 5D mark ii that should be more 'tropicalized", but actually is not really weather-proof.

Sometimes I think to sell everything an pass to the Pentax system, really weatherproof body and stabilization in-body system!

We'll see

Going a few times a weeks in the jungle, wet, humid, sweating too, I give my Canon a lot of pressure and the 7D, despite claimed as "tropicalized body" suffered in 14 months of life of 2 mayor issues fixed by Canon BKK, both caused by wet, mold or other wet-connected issues. Now I got a 5D mark ii that should be more 'tropicalized", but actually is not really weather-proof.

Sometimes I think to sell everything an pass to the Pentax system, really weatherproof body and stabilization in-body system!

We'll see

I think the new Nikon D800 is weather sealed. It's a tough choice, changing lens mount and, not just between manufacturer but also between crop-factor and full frame. All hideously expensive and unless you're a pro that makes a living this way or a very, very rich amateur . . . well the law of diminishing returns comes to mind.

To be honest, the reason I got the K-5 was for the Sigma 8-16mm so I could do architectural and marketing work, otherwise I'd have stuck with super-compacts. My LX5 does pretty well, never view photos on anything larger than a PC screen and only print on normal paper for reports.

I'd recommend that you get a dry cabinet to store your equipment in, or at least buy a big sack of silica gel pouches and a big plastic box (kind of a home made dry box).

I have a big dry cabinet to store my 2 bodies, 6 lenses + flashes, grips and various. Also the lens I mostly use should be 'tropicalized' (24/105 Canon, 150/2.8 Sigma macro OS).

We'll see

I'd hold on a bit. Looking at the output from the Sony RX100, the Fujifilm X-Trans sensor (replacing the Bayer/anti-aliasing filter) and the development of CSC . . . the big DSLR may well be going the way of the Dodo. Would be good too. I just want to take high resolution photos in RAW format and the smaller the camera the better.

Now I got a 5D mark ii that should be more 'tropicalized", but actually is not really weather-proof.
Apparently the 5DIII is better, but the 5D and 5DII are notoriously prone to water damage. My 5D got caught in a bit of a shower and was never quite the same again. And my 5DII was ruined by sweat getting into the top buttons -- Canon Bkk quoted me B60,000 for repair!

Provided that you don't mind going to an APS-C sensor (and they're extremely good these days), the K-5 is a superb all-around camera, with much better weather sealing. And Pentax make some very nice lenses.

Now I got a 5D mark ii that should be more 'tropicalized", but actually is not really weather-proof.
Apparently the 5DIII is better, but the 5D and 5DII are notoriously prone to water damage. My 5D got caught in a bit of a shower and was never quite the same again. And my 5DII was ruined by sweat getting into the top buttons -- Canon Bkk quoted me B60,000 for repair!

Provided that you don't mind going to an APS-C sensor (and they're extremely good these days), the K-5 is a superb all-around camera, with much better weather sealing. And Pentax make some very nice lenses.

Cheaper, APS-C also means smaller lenses. I had a go with a D700 with 70-200mm Nikkor and it was like an old BBC studio camera, massive heavy thing, utterly impracticable for any sort of joyful use. I did price up a Nikon D800E with five Nikkor lenses (including the 14-24mm f/2.8 and the 200mm Macro) and a few bits and pieces and it came in just shy of £10,000!!!! Over 500,000 Baht!!!

No thanks.

The X-Pro1 looks tasty, but no weather sealing at all, owners reporting dust in them after a week and issues with post-processing (no Lightroom support) . . . at £3000 for the full kit . . . . dunno . . . it's very sexy. Mmmmmm . . . .