BANGKOK 25 April 2019 04:47
Sign in to follow this  
endure

Pentax

Now I got a 5D mark ii that should be more 'tropicalized", but actually is not really weather-proof.
Apparently the 5DIII is better, but the 5D and 5DII are notoriously prone to water damage. My 5D got caught in a bit of a shower and was never quite the same again. And my 5DII was ruined by sweat getting into the top buttons -- Canon Bkk quoted me B60,000 for repair!

Provided that you don't mind going to an APS-C sensor (and they're extremely good these days), the K-5 is a superb all-around camera, with much better weather sealing. And Pentax make some very nice lenses.

Now I got a 5D mark ii that should be more 'tropicalized", but actually is not really weather-proof.
Apparently the 5DIII is better, but the 5D and 5DII are notoriously prone to water damage. My 5D got caught in a bit of a shower and was never quite the same again. And my 5DII was ruined by sweat getting into the top buttons -- Canon Bkk quoted me B60,000 for repair!

Provided that you don't mind going to an APS-C sensor (and they're extremely good these days), the K-5 is a superb all-around camera, with much better weather sealing. And Pentax make some very nice lenses.

Cheaper, APS-C also means smaller lenses. I had a go with a D700 with 70-200mm Nikkor and it was like an old BBC studio camera, massive heavy thing, utterly impracticable for any sort of joyful use. I did price up a Nikon D800E with five Nikkor lenses (including the 14-24mm f/2.8 and the 200mm Macro) and a few bits and pieces and it came in just shy of £10,000!!!! Over 500,000 Baht!!!

No thanks.

The X-Pro1 looks tasty, but no weather sealing at all, owners reporting dust in them after a week and issues with post-processing (no Lightroom support) . . . at £3000 for the full kit . . . . dunno . . . it's very sexy. Mmmmmm . . . .