Vegetables With A Dangerously High Level Of Pesticide Sold At High-End Markets: Bangkok

webfact

Dangerous levels of pesticides in veggies at high-end markets

PONGPHON SARNSAMAK

THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- Vegetables with a dangerously high level of pesticide have been sold in supermarkets and luxury department stores, the Foundation for Consumers said yesterday.

The foundation tested vegetables from 14 supermarkets in Bangkok for pesticide contamination.

The 14 samples included cabbage, Chinese cabbage, Chinese broccoli, yard beans, morning glory, parsley and bird chilli peppers (also known as "bird's eye chillis").

The quality of seven of the samples was certified by the Department of Agriculture, while the rest were house-brand vegetable products.

The samples were tested by the Public Health Ministry's Medical Science Department in March. It was found that five samples - Chinese broccoli, two samples of yard beans, parsley and bird chilli pepper - were tainted with harmfully high levels of pesticide.

The parsley and yard beans were found to contain pesticides at a level that exceeded European safety standards.

Parsley sold at Siam Paragon Department Store's Gourmet Market was found to contain Chlorpyrifos at a level of 0.84 milligram per kilogram.

Under the European Union Food Standard, Chlorpyrifos should not exceed 0.005 milligrams per kilogram. However, Thai authorities do not designate a standard for Chlorpyrifos contamination in food products.

Exposure to high levels of Chlorpyrifos, which is used to control many different pests, can cause runny nose, tears and increased saliva production or drooling, headache, nausea, dizziness, vomiting, abdominal muscle cramps and loss of coordination.

Yard beans produced by Doctor Company were tainted with Carbofuran at a level of 0.007mg per kg. The EU prescribes a safe level of Carbofuran as not exceeding 0.02mg per kg. Thailand National Bureau of Agricultural Commodity and Food Standards designated that the level of Carbofuran in food products should not exceed 0.1 mg per kg.

Carbofuran contamination causes symptoms such as nausea, dizziness, confusion and at very high exposures can case respiratory paralysis and death.

Foundation for Consumers manager Saree Ongsomwang said her agency would send the results of the tests to the Food and Drug Administration and urge it to call on food producers to improve their product quality.

Meanwhile, Vitoon Lianchamroon of the Biothai Foundation has demanded the government ban four pesticides - Carbofuran, Methomyl, Dicrotophos and EPN - for use on agricultural crops, as the pesticides pose serious health risks to people.

The pesticides are banned in the European Union, US, United Kingdom, Finland, Singapore, India, Pakistan, Vietnam, and Myanmar.

Vitoon said there had been an effort by a large pesticides importer to force the Agriculture and Cooperatives Ministry to register Methomyl and legally import it for widespread use in this country.

"Allowing these pesticides to be used in the country puts people's health at risk," he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-07-12

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

produced by Doctor Company were tainted with Carbofuran at a level of 0.007mg per kg. The EU prescribes a safe level of Carbofuran as not exceeding 0.02mg

Isn't 0.007 less than 0.02?

I saw that too & just considered it a typo. One of numerous bad editing we see here.

produced by Doctor Company were tainted with Carbofuran at a level of 0.007mg per kg. The EU prescribes a safe level of Carbofuran as not exceeding 0.02mg

Guessing that was a type o. I am assuming it should have been 0.7mg per kg. or it would not have been mentioned.

Guessing that was a type o. I am assuming it should have been 0.7mg per kg. or it would not have been mentioned.

Our someone doesn't even knew rudimentary maths and just landed the newspaper with a lawsuit.

• Like 1

Our someone doesn't even knew rudimentary maths and just landed the newspaper with a lawsuit.

Could be a nix up between milligrams and micrograms.

Good to see how well regulated things are here. Wonder if the conforming veggies went to the EU

It also goes on to say that carbofuran is banned in the EU

Meanwhile, Vitoon Lianchamroon of the Biothai Foundation has demanded the government ban four pesticides - Carbofuran, Methomyl, Dicrotophos and EPN - for use on agricultural crops, as the pesticides pose serious health risks to people.

The pesticides are banned in the European Union, US, United Kingdom, Finland, Singapore, India, Pakistan, Vietnam, and Myanmar.

• Like 1

Yikes! For this reason I don't support my local neighbourhood market. Shopping at Tescos is marginally safer hopefully, even the expensive luxury supermarkets and delis don't seem to escape this.

Makes you wonder doesnt it? You have no idea at these local markets how this food was grown or handled before it got dumed on the bamboo table. I am pretty sure nobody is checking all these.

My wife has had food poisoning 3 times and in the hospital twice since last october.

That was referring to yard long beans. From my experience growing veggies here, yard long beans are one of the easiest to grow, & never seem to be bothered by pests on my pesticide free garden.

This statement is just to reassure tourists that Thai authorities are making (some) efforts to regulate poisons. The truth is that spraying of airborne pesticides is entirely unregulated in much of Thailand, its a toxic chemical free-for-all in some places, and walking through a cloud of that stuff, or sleeping in beds sprayed with it, kills much faster than eating sprayed veg. If they cared about pesticide they would really overhaul the enforcement of laws on other types of hazardous poison sprays used without notice in built-up areas, inside properties such as rentals, schools, hotels etc.

thumbsup.gifwai.gif

Hmm.. doesn't anyone wash their veggies when they get home and before preparation?

Seems like a safe thing to do.

I wonder where the veggies came from?

Systematic pesticides are applied to the soil, & absorbed through the roots into the plant & then the fruit or veg. Supposedly, if guidelines are followed, the fruit is safe.

• Like 1

And to think I've been nagging my five year old daughter to eat her veggies!

Now I know why my kids' schoolbooks recommend that vegetables are washed in three changes of water (not tap water!).

Small wonder that so many Thais develop stomach cancer and peptic ulcers.

• Like 1

Good to see how well regulated things are here.

I assume you're kidding. Such things are extremely poorly regulated here. I've been haranguing on this topic for a long time, including numerous letter to editors of the Nation and Post.

There was a serious letter in one of them, years ago, which claimed there were no ill effects from spraying toxic chemicals on plants people eat.

Poisoning adults is bad enough, but poisoning kids is even worse. Who can then be surprised when we hear of Thai kids under-performing in school, and so many being sickly so often. Parents: if you care about your kids' health, take a long hard look at what sorts of chemicals are in the food they eat. You could dissuade them from eating veges and fruit altogether, but obviously the better route is to arrange for them to eat organic veges and fruits. Same for schools which provide meals.

Organic gardening and farming is less-than-fledgling in Thailand. Lots more needs to be done.

Edited by maidu

BANGKOK: -- Vegetables with a dangerously high level of pesticide have been sold in supermarkets and luxury department stores, the Foundation for Consumers said yesterday.

What a great deal: dangerously high level of pesticides in vegtables sold at high prices in high end stores....must be Thailand.

• Like 2

What a great deal: dangerously high level of pesticides in vegtables sold at high prices in high end stores....must be Thailand.

They're paying the extra cost of the poison.

All the fuss is about the high end stores. No mention of what the poorer members of society get to buy.

It also goes on to say that carbofuran is banned in the EU

well thank god thailand actually exports some of this stuff that keeps it under control - unfortunately the imports from china are not so well controlled and we are all being exposed to dangerous levels of chemicals and hormones - where did I put my bra

• Like 1

we could maybe assume the "strange" death of few tourists could be cause by very low quality of veggies and food found in the country, you never know as the hygiene in some restaurant or food stall on roads has a total lack of hygiene.

I am not surprise about those pesticides level .... I try to buy organic veggies most of the time or frozen veggies from Europe or veggies imported from Australia or NZ but pricing is outrageous for imported product , so the choice is rather limited. I just hope those pesticides disappear during cooking process.