Vegetables With A Dangerously High Level Of Pesticide Sold At High-End Markets: Bangkok

webfact

" . . drooling, headache, nausea, dizziness, vomiting, abdominal muscle cramps and loss of coordination . . "

Better steer clear of the veggies then as I get all of the above from Beer Chang alone!

dont know, but CHANG is not a solution anymore as it tastes more worth then ever atm.... I stick to TIGER instead...having CHANG for around 10 years its quality changes a lot....

AND, since when are there HIGH END MARKETS for Vegetables? I heard of high end markets for PC Tools, HiFi stereo parts in the 80+90s but vegetables? clap2.gif

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought local tomato at Big C Extra 4 weeks ago .... totally forgot about those in the fridge ...found them yesterday in the same condition I bought them 4 weeks ago ...looks like the amount of pesticide in those are very high as the appearance didnt even change , it looks like plastic tomato .. ...better send those in the garbage .

• Like 2

Have veggies from the simple markets like Klong Toey ever been tested?

dont know but BE SURE, ALL THAI VEGETABLES are conterminated with high chemicals for making things faster, I have never before somewhere seeing vegetables grow so fast like they do here...i see it here every day and they are using a lot of chemicals for everything....

stick to beer, there is nothing wrong with it - YET

Have veggies from the simple markets like Klong Toey ever been tested?

dont know but BE SURE, ALL THAI VEGETABLES are conterminated with high chemicals for making things faster, I have never before somewhere seeing vegetables grow so fast like they do here...i see it here every day and they are using a lot of chemicals for everything....

stick to beer, there is nothing wrong with it - YET

It's called being in the tropics. Unfortunately, it's good for all sorts of pests too,

If you notice, all sorts of things grow quite well here, even large trees hardwood trees we don't have in the rest of world, of course until the local population cuts them down en masse.

This is Thailand and Thais have the right to spray whatever chemicals they want on their crops. They also have the right to sell it at whatever price they want. YOU are a foreigner and should be thankful the Thais are even willing to feed you. As a foreigner you have no right to criticize ANY practice which is acceptable to the Thais; as the current agriculture situation is. If you don't like it, don't eat food in Thailand, or better yet just get out of their country.

(I don't actually agree with this, but thought it was necessary for the Thai apologists who take this line on every other issue that arises. However, even though this is something that affects their health, they must stay in line with their ideology).

We wouldn't want you guys to be seen as hippocrites now, would we?

stupidist thing I have ever read on any forum any where on the internet

controls need to be set in place otherwise farmers etc all over the world would be spraying - injecting - feeding their crops and animals with all sorts of chemicals to make them grow twice as fast and twice as big, it's called greed and needs to be controlled and regulated

• Like 2

High levels of the herbicide/pesticide chlorpyrifos may have been responsible for numerous unexplained illnesses and deaths as it is frequently used indiscriminately by untrained (or poorly trained) persons to kill bed bugs, termites and farm pests.

It is a neuro-toxin and as such almost undetectable post-mortem.

At local markets, look for vegetables with caterpillar 'holes' - a fairly good indicator of nil pesticide use. Washing with bicarb of soda/vinegar type solutions is good practice.

NB: I have successfully grown yard-long beans in Isaan without chemical assistance.

• Like 1

Great, so buying veggies at Villa is poison, as well?. WhereTF can you buy safe veggies then?

absolutly no way of knowing what you are eating, I would be more suspect of produce coming from China and that's saying something, as mentioned earlier - products that Thailand exports to the west would be reasonably safe because it must conform to western standards

produced by Doctor Company were tainted with Carbofuran at a level of 0.007mg per kg. The EU prescribes a safe level of Carbofuran as not exceeding 0.02mg

Isn't 0.007 less than 0.02?

I thought that as well and it is within the Thai standard as well. It could be the figures have been quoted incorrectly and it should have read 0.7mg per kg or maybe they were trying to show one that did meet requirements rather than just show those that failed.

Someone obviously doesn't realise that the UK and Finland are in the EU.

BANGKOK: -- Vegetables with a dangerously high level of pesticide have been sold in supermarkets and luxury department stores, the Foundation for Consumers said yesterday.

What a great deal: dangerously high level of pesticides in vegtables sold at high prices in high end stores....must be Thailand.

Well, we haven't seen the readings from the lower end markets (yet).

This is Thailand and Thais have the right to spray whatever chemicals they want on their crops. They also have the right to sell it at whatever price they want. YOU are a foreigner and should be thankful the Thais are even willing to feed you. As a foreigner you have no right to criticize ANY practice which is acceptable to the Thais; as the current agriculture situation is. If you don't like it, don't eat food in Thailand, or better yet just get out of their country.

(I don't actually agree with this, but thought it was necessary for the Thai apologists who take this line on every other issue that arises. However, even though this is something that affects their health, they must stay in line with their ideology).

I would just like to add that these veggies were found at Siam Paragon which isnt the real Thailand and therefore people deserve to get sick for lining the pockets of the hi-so elite while real Thais all wash their veggies properly and disinfect their hands before food preparation especially after using the squat toilet.

• Like 1

Great, so buying veggies at Villa is poison, as well?. WhereTF can you buy safe veggies then?

I have heard these concerns many times before. One industrial grower even said, he would not eat any vegetables from his farm.

Apparently, there are some hydroponic indoor farms that supply good vegetables. Or alternatively, you get you own supply from your “allotment” wink.png

Edited by Morakot

Good to see how well regulated things are here.

I assume you're kidding. Such things are extremely poorly regulated here. I've been haranguing on this topic for a long time, including numerous letter to editors of the Nation and Post.

There was a serious letter in one of them, years ago, which claimed there were no ill effects from spraying toxic chemicals on plants people eat.

Poisoning adults is bad enough, but poisoning kids is even worse. Who can then be surprised when we hear of Thai kids under-performing in school, and so many being sickly so often. Parents: if you care about your kids' health, take a long hard look at what sorts of chemicals are in the food they eat. You could dissuade them from eating veges and fruit altogether, but obviously the better route is to arrange for them to eat organic veges and fruits. Same for schools which provide meals.

Organic gardening and farming is less-than-fledgling in Thailand. Lots more needs to be done.

The problem is how do you know what sort of chemicals are in the food? You have to rely on government to make an informed decision on what is reasonably safe and then enforce the regulations. Pretty unlikely here.

In my own country I'm not too bothered about organic produce but whilst it may seem a good idea here you have the same problem. If someone knows you want organic produce and also may pay a bit more for it then there's every chance they will tell you it's organic and without regulation how do you know? See post #24.

Edited by kimamey

produced by Doctor Company were tainted with Carbofuran at a level of 0.007mg per kg. The EU prescribes a safe level of Carbofuran as not exceeding 0.02mg

Isn't 0.007 less than 0.02?

Guessing that was a type o. I am assuming it should have been 0.7mg per kg. or it would not have been mentioned.

But, that was an excerpt from the Nation! One of the top two paper in the country! A recent test was given to high school math teachers nationwide. It was the same standardized test that the teachers give out regularly. Do you know what percentage of teachers failed their own exam? 86%! What can be done about the horrific educational standards in this fast declining country?

• Like 2

Is this another one of those buyer beware things? Meaning if you get sick or die, its your fault

because you had a choice of not using these products.

Kind of like getting on a bus or a boat and being injured or killed. it was your choice, so its your fault, as a few TV posters always argue.

The other question I have. Why is Thailand alowing these chemicals to be used when so many developed, developing and 3rd world countries have banned them, for there danger?

Your first question. It is a responsible alert to consumers. The rest is idle speculation on your part. Your second question. All pesticides are toxic and there is always the question of which ones are the lesser of the evils. Perhaps you would care to suggest an alternative? In the meantime I would advise that you rinse off your vegetables well- Consumers do this routinely as a matter of common sense no matter whether they know which pesticide has been used during cultivation.

" . . drooling, headache, nausea, dizziness, vomiting, abdominal muscle cramps and loss of coordination . . "

Better steer clear of the veggies then as I get all of the above from Beer Chang alone!

Beer taunts the mind & soul, body health, divorce, crime, mental hospitals, or prisons, must faster then veggies, just drink water or www.aathailand.org

Beer taunts the mind & soul, body health, divorce, crime, mental hospitals, or prisons, must faster then veggies, just drink water or www.aathailand.org

I guess you wouldn't spot a bit of humour if it slapped you in the face with a wet halibut......

• Like 2

BANGKOK: -- Vegetables with a dangerously high level of pesticide have been sold in supermarkets and luxury department stores, the Foundation for Consumers said yesterday.

What a great deal: dangerously high level of pesticides in vegtables sold at high prices in high end stores....must be Thailand.

They're paying the extra cost of the poison.

All the fuss is about the high end stores. No mention of what the poorer members of society get to buy.

Maybe better as they are Thai

For the most part...anyone in the Thai government/administration should look at the expats forums online. The expat community can offer solutions to the problems this country is apparently inundated with. If they don't take sound and good advice/solutions and act upon them, it will continue to revert back to the Thailand of the past, if not worse.

I would just like to add that these veggies were found at Siam Paragon which isnt the real Thailand and therefore people deserve to get sick for lining the pockets of the hi-so elite while real Thais all wash their veggies properly and disinfect their hands before food preparation especially after using the squat toilet.

Its a conspiracy against the elites.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Exactly. The mighty red shirts obviously sabotaged the hi-so cabbages in order to incapacitate the middle classes leaving no opposition for Thaksin to walk back into the promised land and regain his political crown.

• Like 1

For the most part...anyone in the Thai government/administration should look at the expats forums online. The expat community can offer solutions to the problems this country is apparently inundated with. If they don't take sound and good advice/solutions and act upon them, it will continue to revert back to the Thailand of the past, if not worse.

I'm sure they can hardly wait to embrace the offered "solutions" from here.

• Like 1

Another reason to move out of there and get your garden going in the sticks.

Switzerland went through this kind of stuff about 40 years ago when they finally persuaded conservative farmers to start spraying, it took two generations to get things to an acceptable level. Until about 10 years ago you could buy any quantity of pesticide or weedkiller, but the sellers looked completely gob smacked when you asked for a measuring container. Same here, the Thais don't measure their dosing.

My wife buys vegetables with flies buzzing around them, she reckons that they are the relatively harmless specimens.