Vegetables With A Dangerously High Level Of Pesticide Sold At High-End Markets: Bangkok

webfact

I am given to understand that one of the factors involved in the demise of ancient Rome was lead poisoning. Only the elite could afford lead pipes whilst the plebs had to do with clay. Red shirts may have a point and Paragon ..who would have thunk it ? I have finally convinced my other half to wear protective clothing when she sprays the somo. She used to come back drenched in the stuff and I wouldn't have a clue what was in the dark brown bottle. I think most of the problem is a) lack of education re organics and B) they are at the mercy of vested interests.

• Like 1

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

produced by Doctor Company were tainted with Carbofuran at a level of 0.007mg per kg. The EU prescribes a safe level of Carbofuran as not exceeding 0.02mg

Isn't 0.007 less than 0.02?

Guessing that was a type o. I am assuming it should have been 0.7mg per kg. or it would not have been mentioned.

Our someone doesn't even knew rudimentary maths and just landed the newspaper with a lawsuit.

Could be a nix up between milligrams and micrograms.

Good to see how well regulated things are here. Wonder if the conforming veggies went to the EU

The same happens in the UK. Lots of fruit and veg sold in leading supermarkets have been found to be contaminated with pesticides. The UK even gave the world mad cow disease. You are seriously mistaken if you think this is just a Thai problem. And in the US millions of tons of unfit meat has been sold. It should have been recalled but wasn't. In the USA the FDA as let many drugs be sold that they knew were unsafe. So let's not single out Thailand here. Take a look at your own countries. Their food and drug safety standards are shockingly bad and riddled with corruption.

• Like 1

The Thai mentality is more is better I hired some people to spray the vegetation on a plot we own and a friend of the good lady said we were stingy because we only use what is on the label he said NOT RIGHT USE MORE kills better> Maybe he is one with the same mentality when using pesticides as well USE MORE KILL EVERYONE !

produced by Doctor Company were tainted with Carbofuran at a level of 0.007mg per kg. The EU prescribes a safe level of Carbofuran as not exceeding 0.02mg

Guessing that was a type o. I am assuming it should have been 0.7mg per kg. or it would not have been mentioned.

But, that was an excerpt from the Nation! One of the top two paper in the country! A recent test was given to high school math teachers nationwide. It was the same standardized test that the teachers give out regularly. Do you know what percentage of teachers failed their own exam? 86%! What can be done about the horrific educational standards in this fast declining country?

and the standard correct english spelling of standardised is, see even with falang nothing is standarised

who wood ever have thunk that

Edited by smedly

This is extremely alarming! Its not just a matter of washing them coz you cannot wash the inside of the plant. and there-in lies the real danger. I see nothing mentioned about the fruits here. It would be difficult to even trust any of the organic labels as well.

My guess is that they do not meet or would not meet any of the western criteria for certification either.

This is not a good situation.

Siam Paragon!

High price doesn't ensure a better product.

But you are getting the pesticides for no extra charge.

If all else fails, you can probably grind up your cabbage, mix it with water and use it as mozzie spray.

....or rat poison.

Some time ago a neighbour let a "gardener" spray his garden against all kind of creepy insects and a smelly cloud of old remembrances came through my nose into my mind about the time I had to visit the "Botlek" (chemical industry - Rotterdam) frequently. The gardener's answer at my polite complaint (mainly because of my dogs) was: "mai pen rai, it's 100% at herbal base". thumbsup.gif

Since than I'm not worried anymore when I see a farmer or contractor spraying the paddy-fields surrounding my house in Bangkok's suburbs coffee1.gif

i wrote yesterday a topic about the twt young girls found dead in puket, i was writing about the possibilty of poisoning by that insecticid....

that insecticid is sold freely in thailand with any control... ingested in not so hight amount it is deadly for people... this product is forbitten in many countries, on the box ther no warning about the possibilty of death if ingested, more than that: on the stiker on the box it is food wich is represented...(veggetables) but some power ful company still can sell it, with no care of damages caused by that product

it hightly possible that those two pooor girls has been poisonned by the stuff by a way or an other...

possible ways of contamination:

poured by mistake in the food

use in the bedroom of high amount to desinfect the bed (inhalation)

some creazy people put that stuff intentionnally in the food for some reason( in most of the daeth related to that product for now it s only foreigner that died, in chiang rai for example)

very high levels of the product on the vegetables from the market

the symptoms are

vomiting , diahorea, loose of movement control, no muscle control, death by axphysy , heart stops , death

please take care

Have veggies from the simple markets like Klong Toey ever been tested?

None of know for sure, but I strongly suspect the answer is a big 'no.' Even if they were tested, science-addled Thai experts might miss toxic things. And if they found something, can you imagine them confiscating/destroying a vendors' produce? The haranguing squacks s from the offended vendor women would be heard 12 blocks away.

Several times I've grown cherry tomatoes in northern Thailand. They don't need any added chemicals and they taste a bunch better than larger tomatoes. However, you shouldn't grow two seasons in same plot, as root nematodes will kill the 2nd crop.

I tossed several large beautiful sweet peppers outside, under a tree once, when I suspected they were toxic. Two months later, the fruit were as fresh looking as when I bought them. Neither bugs, bunnies, bacteria nor fungi would touch 'em.

About 9 years ago, I read in the Bkk Post about a plan by Thai authorities to stop and inspect trucks carrying fresh produce in to Bkk. A follow up article said one truck was stopped. After that, nothing. I can imagine the one unlucky truck driver (or his boss) going apeshit at the affront to his business, and quickly getting all other truck drivers to support his protest. Cops and officials backed off, as you'd expect.

It also goes on to say that carbofuran is banned in the EU

well thank god thailand actually exports some of this stuff that keeps it under control - unfortunately the imports from china are not so well controlled and we are all being exposed to dangerous levels of chemicals and hormones - where did I put my bra

like China, the exports to the "senstive countries" are pretty well controlled and the rubbish sold locally or exported to less vulnarable ............. whistling.gif

• Like 1

I saw that too & just considered it a typo. One of numerous bad editing we see here.

Me too.

Hmm.. doesn't anyone wash their veggies when they get home and before preparation?

Seems like a safe thing to do.

I wonder where the veggies came from?

Systematic pesticides are applied to the soil, & absorbed through the roots into the plant & then the fruit or veg. Supposedly, if guidelines are followed, the fruit is safe.

Yea, soak it in drinking water for 12 hours...

BANGKOK: -- Vegetables with a dangerously high level of pesticide have been sold in supermarkets and luxury department stores, the Foundation for Consumers said yesterday.

What a great deal: dangerously high level of pesticides in vegtables sold at high prices in high end stores....must be Thailand.

They're paying the extra cost of the poison.

All the fuss is about the high end stores. No mention of what the poorer members of society get to buy.

SPOT ON!!!!!!!!!!

dont know but BE SURE, ALL THAI VEGETABLES are conterminated with high chemicals for making things faster, I have never before somewhere seeing vegetables grow so fast like they do here...i see it here every day and they are using a lot of chemicals for everything....

stick to beer, there is nothing wrong with it - YET

Not all.

Where I live we get much of our vegis and fruits from our friends.

For the most part...anyone in the Thai government/administration should look at the expats forums online. The expat community can offer solutions to the problems this country is apparently inundated with. If they don't take sound and good advice/solutions and act upon them, it will continue to revert back to the Thailand of the past, if not worse.

Past as in the time of King Rama 5.

GREAT !

Let's go thumbsup.gifwai.gif

dont know but BE SURE, ALL THAI VEGETABLES are conterminated with high chemicals for making things faster, I have never before somewhere seeing vegetables grow so fast like they do here...i see it here every day and they are using a lot of chemicals for everything....

Not all.

And what about loads of people I see collecting "vegetables" for home-use / street stalls or markets along (bussy) local roads??? licklips.gif

Isn't there an organic thai market somewhere. I'm not talking about a supermarket either.

Yes there are.

The Queen has an ongoing organic vegetable campaign.

They do if fact set up markets in certain places (at least down south) on certain days.

Problem is everything is more expensive so it is very hard to make it work.

Same as in the U.S. 10-15 years ago.

But, people are very slowly becoming informed.

Have you ever seen the adds on T.V. warning against the dangers of commercial durian ?

Again, as always, everywhere, best to grow as much yourself as you can and get whatever else possible from friends who are like minded.

Not all.

And what about loads of people I see collecting "vegetables" for home-use / street stalls or markets along (bussy) local roads??? licklips.gif

What about them ?

They eat exhaust.

They have not yet been educated re:this particular thing.

Most people over here can only work (to a certain extent) with the zero numbers on their bank account. It's not the veggies that make me sick, it's the collective greed of an entire nation! Asked what is considered thainess, I would say: "I don't care for others, I'm already busy to take care of my money!"

We are fortunate to have such great weather here, its nice to be able to grow and then pick my spring onion when I need it. Imagine doing that with some of the other fresh ingredients you typically buy. You don't need land, just grow it in a little planter. It doesn't solve the problem entirely but some homegrown effort plus a switch to organi vegetables from reputable sources here would help.

I generally soak all my fruits and veggies in water for about an hour before cooking/eating them, unless they are of a type that has an extra thick outer skin. I have read that it helps eliminate some amount of the pesticides/herbicides, but soaking them for too long can extract vitamins and minerals as well.

Edited by Ripple

Obviously not (in Thailand) anyway..... giggle.gif

Edited by johnlandy

Last time I bought apples from a Big store, they tasted of chemicals even after being thoroughly washed, and one of the family bought some water melons from a road-side stall which were even worse. They add chemicals to enhance the redness but the taste is terrible. Apparently the locals say:- " drink plenty of milk then water to get rid of the taste and the ' dry mouth ' effect " but this sure doesn't get rid of the chemicals you've just introduced into your body. Yet another example of quick grow for quick profit without any care for the consumer.

• Like 1

As importer of foods into the EU, also coming from Thailand, I have to be extremely careful about (forbidden) additives, contaminations and pesticide residues.

Thai ( and other S.E. Asian) manufacrtueres have a complete diferent understanding of what is allowed compared with European standards.

For instance: peanuts might contain alftoxine. So, in EU: total of 4 types max 4 ppm.

A Thai company, making coconut-peanut sauce, with 7.5 % peanuts in, received a level of ..7 ppm. Or in other words: for the total of the used peanuts: 100ppm, 25 times the max tolerated level in the EU. Company BRC -IFS-ISO certified, but.. as soon as the certifiers are gone, ZERO raw materials inspection.

For Carbofuran the EU published a EU directive for that: nr 2006-4-ECof 26 Jan 2006. Depending where the pesticide residue is found, 0,02 mg/kg (ppm)

Rice and rice vermicelli, wheat (instant) noodles are tolerated to have only 10 mg/kg aluminium in it ( probably coming from the soil it grew on). But.. Thai manufacturers with any idea ? ZERO.

Risk assessment is based on tolerable weekly intake 1 mg/kg b.w. (European Food Safety Authority). In SCOFCAH an action limit of 10 ppm (in rice noodles) was agreed.= Health & Consumers Directorate-General EU

Rice products Thai origin rejected and destructed at EU border:

Border reject 01/11/2011 nr 2011.CFQ by Finland: high content of aluminium (30 mg/kg - ppm) in vermicelli rice from Thailand

Border reject at 18/04/2011 nr 2011.AWJ by Finland: high content of aluminium (67 mg/kg dry matter) in rice noodles from Thailand

Border reject 20/12/2010 nr 2010.CGW by Finland: high content of aluminium (180 mg/kg - ppm) in rice noodle from Thailand

For the links: direct to the EU rapid alert system of the EU food autority

How is the Thai rice, as rice vermicelli is made out of rice (90%) and water ( 10%), no additives ? ? Or .. is everybody eating aluminium without Thai rice industry interested do do anything at all ?

Edited by puipuitom
  • Like 2

As importer of foods into the EU, also coming from Thailand, I have to be extremely careful about (forbidden) additives, contaminations and pesticide residues.

Thai ( and other S.E. Asian) manufacrtueres have a complete diferent understanding of what is allowed compared with European standards.

For instance: peanuts might contain alftoxine. So, in EU: total of 4 types max 4 ppm.

A Thai company, making coconut-peanut sauce, with 7.5 % peanuts in, received a level of ..7 ppm. Or in other words: for the total of the used peanuts: 100ppm, 25 times the max tolerated level in the EU. Company BRC -IFS-ISO certified, but.. as soon as the certifiers are gone, ZERO raw materials inspection.

For Carbofuran the EU published a EU directive for that: nr 2006-4-ECof 26 Jan 2006. Depending where the pesticide residue is found, 0,02 mg/kg (ppm)

Rice and rice vermicelli, wheat (instant) noodles are tolerated to have only 10 mg/kg aluminium in it ( probably coming from the soil it grew on). But.. Thai manufacturers with any idea ? ZERO.

Risk assessment is based on tolerable weekly intake 1 mg/kg b.w. (European Food Safety Authority). In SCOFCAH an action limit of 10 ppm (in rice noodles) was agreed.= Health & Consumers Directorate-General EU

Rice products Thai origin rejected and destructed at EU border:

Border reject 01/11/2011 nr 2011.CFQ by Finland: high content of aluminium (30 mg/kg - ppm) in vermicelli rice from Thailand

Border reject at 18/04/2011 nr 2011.AWJ by Finland: high content of aluminium (67 mg/kg dry matter) in rice noodles from Thailand

Border reject 20/12/2010 nr 2010.CGW by Finland: high content of aluminium (180 mg/kg - ppm) in rice noodle from Thailand

For the links: direct to the EU rapid alert system of the EU food autority

How is the Thai rice, as rice vermicelli is made out of rice (90%) and water ( 10%), no additives ? ? Or .. is everybody eating aluminium without Thai rice industry interested do do anything at all ?

Edited by puipuitom
  • Like 1