Good Yogurt In C.Rai - Hard To Find

maidu

At the Tops food store, ground floor at Central, they sometimes have decent yogurt for sale. The one I like best is 'Caroline' A close second is Yolida. I like plain stuff with no sugar - medium sized bins if possible.

More often than not, the yogurt is not in stock. Annoying.

As a back-up, I buy Meiji from Makro, which is ok, but like all the other small packaged yogurt, the containers are 30% air. According the my subjective 'taste test,' Meiji seems to have less sugar than the others in small packages.

Are there any other places in the area which stock Caroline or Yolida in not-small containers?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I try to explain to a worker at Tops about something not found, they look at me like I'm from the dark side of the moon (granted, my handle on Thai is as frail as a twig). If a worker understands, they'll offer me a pleasant grin, and then forget what I said in the wink of a Higgs Boson.

It's of no help I know, but they sell the large size of Yolida yoghurt at the various Tops in CM for about 50 B.

Live culture, no preservatives, sugar, etc.

Love the stuff; couldn't live without it.

Maybe a gentle suggestion to the Tops manager in Centrum, to stock the large container?

It's of no help I know, but they sell the large size of Yolida yoghurt at the various Tops in CM for about 50 B.

Live culture, no preservatives, sugar, etc.

Love the stuff; couldn't live without it.

Maybe a gentle suggestion to the Tops manager in Centrum, to stock the large container?

thanks. Actually, the Tops manager does stock it. I've seen it twice. But he can't keep it in stock, because 9 out of 10 times I go there, the shelf is empty. Same story for the other good quality yogurt, Caroline. Either the yogurt makers aren't keeping up with demand, or the Tops management aren't doing their jobs well enough. I suspect one or two farang are going in there often, and buying the entire stock, each time they see containers on the shelf.

Bought 2 (big) containers of Yolida today at Tops in KSK, CM. 53 B ea.

Another possibility maidu, is learn when they re-stock.

I happen to know that my local Tops gets the shipment from their distribution center (for dairy anyway) Monday morning.

So I usually go buy my Yolida Monday afternoon.

Often by Wed. they are sold out, even though now they have a huge amount on the shelves (like 50+ big containers).

It also is possible, because it is in short supply in CR, that someone is being a piggy, and scooping up multiplesrolleyes.gif.

The store management should consider giving less space to the crap sugar-loaded yoghurt, and order and make more space for the healthy stuff....licklips.gif

• 2 weeks later...

3 days ago, went to Tops (ground floor, Central Mall). There were about 20 large containers of each kind (40 altogether): Caroline and Yolinda. I bought a couple. Went back, out of curiosity, today. None. I don't much mind if one or more people are hoarding (buying all that's there), I just wish the management at Tops could get a clue about this. Went to Big C, and (no surprise) they don't have any of the larger sized yogurts - ditto for Makro, As far as I know, Tops at Central is the only place in C.Rai which has ever had the larger sized.

3 days ago, went to Tops (ground floor, Central Mall). There were about 20 large containers of each kind (40 altogether): Caroline and Yolinda. I bought a couple. Went back, out of curiosity, today. None. I don't much mind if one or more people are hoarding (buying all that's there), I just wish the management at Tops could get a clue about this. Went to Big C, and (no surprise) they don't have any of the larger sized yogurts - ditto for Makro, As far as I know, Tops at Central is the only place in C.Rai which has ever had the larger sized.

I find that demand and the supply to that demand do not exist in supermarkets. In Tesco in Phayao I found a honey I really liked. I bought about 6 jars over 2 months but now that brand is not there. The price was not cheap but I was prepared to pay. Surely they would continue to supply if it was being bought.

Same happened with the Blue Cheese when Central and Tops opened. I talked to the manager in Tops but nothing happened and then I sent an email to Tops in Bangkok and after that there has always been Blue Cheese in Tops. The "Best before date" for that cheese is normally 5-6 months ahead so it should never be a problem. I don't know how fresh the youghurt must be.

Tops are a business, and judging by the fact they have recently closed 2 out of their 3 local branches, Chiang Rai is not their most profitable market.

For every product that somebody wants that is always out of stock, there are a dozen products that past demand would indicated somebody would want, but it stays on the shelf until it expires or has to be drastically reduced in price.

If you have something specific you want and don't speak Thai, get somebody who does speak Thai to tell the manager that you would like to buy x cartons per month and that you are willing to prepay,

That has worked for me in the past.

Maidu

You realise now that this problem is going to worsen don't you?

Many people that have never even heard of that yoghurt will be buying it now to see what all the fuss is about smile.png

I thought of that when starting this thread. Funny, but likely true.

As for an earlier mention of 'items out of stock' - I can list over a dozen products which, as soon as I start buying them, the store discontinued their stocking them, or maybe the store went out of business. It applies to Makro as much as a bunch of other stores (real chocolate at Makro, for example, or corn chips at Central). It also applies to restaurants. About half the restaurants I become an avid fan of, wind up going out of business a short time after. I should just 'go with the flow' and eat the common foods, like MSG-laden rice soup with congealed pig's blood floating in it. Then I would always have plenty of places to eat around C.Rai.

The moral to this story: I you run a restaurant, be careful if I become a frequent customer, as it could be a foreboding sign.

A shop inside (may be the Uni that make it themselves) MFU ,sells some very

good natural yogurt, they sell it in bulk at a very good price, fresh everyday,

we buy several kgs when we go to collect my daughter from the Uni on holidays.

regards Worgeordie

Back at Tops in Central mall. No yogurt in large containers. Thus far, it's been either heavily stocked (once) or empty (8 times) in the past 2 months. I spoke with a friendly worker there, and he seemed to understand the issue. Good to hear about MFL, tho I rarely go to the U there. With my withering good looks, I don't want to get the gals too excited by my presence - it might distract from their studies.

Hi maidu - and all joghurt enthusiasts in Chiang Rai,

have you ever tried to produce your own joghurt? It's really simple.

Fill two tablespoons of your favourite joghurt in a glass, add normal milk (cold/lukewarm - mai pen rai) and stir it. Then cover the glass, put it on a plate with some water (against the ants) and let it rest in your kitchen for 24, 36 or more hours (it depends on the night temperature). Now put the glass in the refrigerator as long as you want and you will have a tasty joghurt. - You can repeat this procedure to infinity. Good luck!

Fill two tablespoons of your favourite joghurt in a glass, add normal milk (cold/lukewarm - mai pen rai) and stir it. Then cover the glass, put it on a plate with some water (against the ants) and let it rest in your kitchen for 24, 36 or more hours (it depends on the night temperature). Now put the glass in the refrigerator as long as you want and you will have a tasty joghurt. - You can repeat this procedure to infinity. Good luck!

Isn't that just yoghurt mixed with milk?

@ skybluestu - Isn't that just yoghurt mixed with milk?

You are right but this is only the start. The mixture becomes thicker after one day, one night, …The joghurt bacteria are working.

If there is a skin on top I'll remove it; sometimes this skin tastes somewhat rancid.

Never have seen Caroline or Yolida in Phrae. And even the 'natural' joghurts are loaded with sugar so I had to do some experiments.

Don't forget that the outside temperature is important.

Btw, once I had 'forgotten' the glass outside the fridge for 1 week or more the mixture

became something like creamy cheese which tasted very good, coincidentally. - Enjoy.

I should try that, though am not good with instructions which have more than 2 steps. That's why I need a wife (I knew there was a reason to get a wife, I just couldn't quite recall what it was). If I get a really good wife, she'll learn how to make salsa.

If I try to explain to a worker at Tops about something not found, they look at me like I'm from the dark side of the moon (granted, my handle on Thai is as frail as a twig). If a worker understands, they'll offer me a pleasant grin, and then forget what I said in the wink of a Higgs Boson.

Maidu, If you need to order a special product from tops or see if they are handling something take a packet with the bar code (or just write the barcode) They will check and order for you if they can. they are extremely helpful at Chiangrai Tops.

• Like 1

Maidu, If you need to order a special product from tops or see if they are handling something take a packet with the bar code (or just write the barcode) They will check and order for you if they can. they are extremely helpful at Chiangrai Tops.

Far too levelheaded and helpful for this time of the morning harrry. You need to work on a more reactionary and cynical style of repartee.thumbsup.gifbiggrin.png

• 8 months later...

Did it ever occur to some of you that yogurt has an expiry date and maybe after having to throw too much of some brands/sizes away they don't want to stock it anymore?

it makes sense, but somehow, I can't picture a Thai store throwing out product because it's past its expiration date. Now, on the topic of boyfriends or girlfriends........

I don’t know.ermm.gif I see Yolida yoghurt on the shelf almost every time I shop there. Only once did I not find what I was looking for. I think they do a pretty good job of stocking the shelves, considering our less than central location.smile.png

Considering you live so far from town I dont suppose you visit Tops like many of us in Town do. Sadly the stock of farang food is limited and many items are not a requirement , such as tinned bullet peas that sit on the shelf for months on end, yet popular stuff like Waitrose Dark Chocolate Digestive Biscuits , as soon as they are on the shelf they are sold and takes many weeks for them to come back , as it does for Branston Pickle , mayonaise , Poppadoms in the curry sauce section , Plain natural Yoghurt and fresh cream to name just a few.

Also on the subject of food in Central , the Japanese Bakery next to Tops has good bread but lately they seem to be running out by about 3pm .Today a friend told me afte rI informed him they had no bread again , that he spotted 2 Thai men buying ALL of the bread , about 20 loaves . Maybe the Thais are getting the taste for it now .

Even with my distance from town, I still go in two or three times each week, so don’t think that affects my attitude as much as other things.

I prefer to celebrate what we have instead of what we don’t have. I see what is on the shelves, not what is missing. I suppose it doesn’t hurt that I am unencumbered by recalcitrant food fetishes.smile.png

I also suppose letting the shelves go bare does trigger a primitive response in some to hoard, buying out the next shipment as soon as it arrives on the shelves.sad.png

They were out of my favorite chocolate for a while so I waited, and was rewarded for my wait, by a feeling that it somehow tasted even better after an absence. All things considered I still think they do a pretty reasonable job, given the circumstances and location so far down the supply chain.smile.png

Edited by onthedarkside
off topic remark removed
  • Like 1