Dream Box Satellite Tv

CMNightRider

The gurus at the CM Computer Club spent their entire meeting today talking about this, according to Hubby. The general consensus is that the Thais aren't going to crack this nut anytime soon. I spent the day looking at the True rate schedule and just got madder and madder. Their rates for Thai-only packages are pretty good, but if you want English language moves (me) + English language news (Hubby) then you have to pay U.S. rates.

I think I'll be trotting down to the WeTV office soon. We've had them before at another home and it was good enough service, especially for the news channels. Between Fox and Al Jazeera, it was "fair and balanced". I've heard they've added BBC since we left them, so now we can also watch clueless British liberals. Altogether, about the same as CNN and BBC on True. Now for my movies -- well I guess I'll have to explore downloading to replace the old movies I saw on True.

Edited by NancyL
  • Like 1

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even if you wanted to come clean and sign up for True, it probably couldn't have been done yesterday. Went by the True office a couple times at Kad Suan Kaew and the place was mobbed with angry-looking Thai people, standing around because there's really no place to sit. They had four or five staffers behind the counter and they looked very, very busy.

My girlfriend has been down to the True office at Central Airport Mall twice, with no such issues. Quick service. The only reason she had to return a second time, is she showed up as blacklisted in their system for not returning a box upon cancellation 7 years ago. Both times in and out fairly quickly.

She went in yesterday after the 5PM cut-off time for scheduling work orders, so our install is scheduled for tomorrow. However, they are still going to try and push the work order through and get an install done today.

Hopefully some of the improvements they've made, will justify the high price they are charging for monthly service.

-Mestizo

The gurus at the CM Computer Club spent their entire meeting today talking about this, according to Hubby. The general consensus is that the Thais aren't going to crack this nut anytime soon. I spent the day looking at the True rate schedule and just got madder and madder. Their rates for Thai-only packages are pretty good, but if you want English language moves (me) + English language news (Hubby) then you have to pay U.S. rates.

I think I'll be trotting down to the WeTV office soon. We've had them before at another home and it was good enough service, especially for the news channels. Between Fox and Al Jazeera, it was "fair and balanced". I've heard they've added BBC since we left them, so now we can also watch clueless British liberals. Altogether, about the same as CNN and BBC on True. Now for my movies -- well I guess I'll have to explore downloading to replace the old movies I saw on True.

That seems to be the general consensus over on this thread as well:

My Dreambox provider says they are still trying to work out a solution. Now it seems they are looking towards OpenBox as the most likely potential solution at this point. This would mean abandoning your existing Dreambox and paying for a new device.

As the NFL season is starting very soon, I've decided to give up on the dreambox and go with True Platinum. As Grammy (GMMZ) had taken over ASN (with shows NFL), I purchased a GMMZ box last month to be able to watch ASN. A week later, True announced that they took the rights to ASN back from GMMZ! Doh! So, True actually "got me" twice...

Another aspect that will be interesting to see how it plays out, is that some Dreambox providers were offering a special recently for customers to pay 6 months or a year in advance at a discounted rate. Will these providers be paying out prorated refunds to all their customers if they can't provide further server or will they cut and run with the money.

-Mestizo

Hopefully some of the improvements they've made, will justify the high price they are charging for monthly service.

I fully understand the reason some see the fee as high and in Thailand it is indeed relatively high.

But the biggest percentage of their expense comes through sports. True has just signed a new three year deal with the English Premier League and heaven knows how much that cost. Thai's love football and it's essential service for a large percentage. All the other sporting events don't come cheap either. For me, it's worth the money because they have the sports I want and I like some comforts on TV. If I were in the UK and had every Premier League game plus all the other sports that True show live, I'd probably be looking at total packages of around 5,000 baht a month (a guess bearing in mind much is ppv). If I didn't want the sports here, I wouldn't have True as their movies are crap, news is easily obtainable and great documentaries can be bought on DVD. I'd certainly settle for something else instead.

Don't forget that Thai's also need to have the Gold package as a minimum if they want to watch the likes of Man U, Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal games etc. (apologies to lesser teams)

I fully understand the reason some see the fee as high and in Thailand it is indeed relatively high.

But the biggest percentage of their expense comes through sports. True has just signed a new three year deal with the English Premier League and heaven knows how much that cost.

Great, so charge whatever they need to charge for a sports package, but don't pull this sillyness in charging a lot for low cost channels like BBC World, and add Al Jazeera and Fox News which they don't even provide.

I have faith the pirates will be able to figure this out soon.

Captain Jack Sparrow has already assigned his crew to the task.

Captain Jack Sparrow sent me a text message recently; the crew is on it.

post-64232-0-63664800-1342604749_thumb.p

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

The Encryption has now gone to NDS, which in the UK they have been trying to crack since 1997, so don't hold your breath for a solution any time soon.

card sharing has been going on in the uk for many years with sky having no luck in stopping it

Really, please do tell more......

I cancelled my subscription a year ago, and they said that my deposit would be sent out in 7-8 weeks by cheque......................I'm still waiting!!

Mine also must have been lost in the post,as its been 8 years, and it was 4K, regards Worgeordie

Two years ago we lost MNet and the Super Sport transmissions from South Africa. At the time I enquired about buying the service legally from South Africa, but it was no longer being broadcast to Asia.

Since then I have made do with the Dreambox, but now that has gone, I feel no great compunction to go to full UBC. I only ever watch the golf and cricket (on Super Sport), but really wanted it for The Open this weekend!

Whenever I try to find Satelite options, I find that they are not CM specific. If you go to Bangkok they can pick up the cricket from Malaysian satelite, but that is not available in CM as I understand it. I believe there is an Indian satelite that is an option but cant find any firm details on this, and believe you may need a card from India.

I now have 3 dishes on my house, various satelite boxes, and my question is, what is my best option for a decent satelite service, if any? Ideally, news, cricket, golf and rugby.

I have tried the 'slingbox' option from my Sky UK subscription, but found it ok for a quick update, but not really watchable on a computer screen and not good enough quality for the 'big screen'.

Iain

That'll just make it more expensive for the black market to buy the codes from True employees. Expect your Dreambox subscriptions to increase a couple of hundred Baht a month.

• Like 1

The gurus at the CM Computer Club spent their entire meeting today talking about this, according to Hubby. The general consensus is that the Thais aren't going to crack this nut anytime soon. I spent the day looking at the True rate schedule and just got madder and madder. Their rates for Thai-only packages are pretty good, but if you want English language moves (me) + English language news (Hubby) then you have to pay U.S. rates. I think I'll be trotting down to the WeTV office soon. We've had them before at another home and it was good enough service, especially for the news channels. Between Fox and Al Jazeera, it was "fair and balanced". I've heard they've added BBC since we left them, so now we can also watch clueless British liberals. Altogether, about the same as CNN and BBC on True. Now for my movies -- well I guess I'll have to explore downloading to replace the old movies I saw on True.
That seems to be the general consensus over on this thread as well: My Dreambox provider says they are still trying to work out a solution. Now it seems they are looking towards OpenBox as the most likely potential solution at this point. This would mean abandoning your existing Dreambox and paying for a new device. As the NFL season is starting very soon, I've decided to give up on the dreambox and go with True Platinum. As Grammy (GMMZ) had taken over ASN (with shows NFL), I purchased a GMMZ box last month to be able to watch ASN. A week later, True announced that they took the rights to ASN back from GMMZ! Doh! So, True actually "got me" twice... Another aspect that will be interesting to see how it plays out, is that some Dreambox providers were offering a special recently for customers to pay 6 months or a year in advance at a discounted rate. Will these providers be paying out prorated refunds to all their customers if they can't provide further server or will they cut and run with the money. -Mestizo

The question you are asking at the end is crazy. Will peopl who were offering you an illegal service give you a refund.

Like it or not the Dream box is illegal and I'm surprised to see so many people on here openly admit to having one.

The question you are asking at the end is crazy. Will peopl who were offering you an illegal service give you a refund.

As in, crazier than expecting fair and prompt service from Truevisions? :rolleyes:

Like it or not the Dream box is illegal and I'm surprised to see so many people on here openly admit to having one.

If I stopped doing anything illegal I might as well go back to bed now. And yes, welcome to Thailand.

(Do note by the way that the Dreambox itself is perfectly legal; it's a Linux-based set-top box and satellite receiver.)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

The gurus at the CM Computer Club spent their entire meeting today talking about this, according to Hubby. The general consensus is that the Thais aren't going to crack this nut anytime soon. I spent the day looking at the True rate schedule and just got madder and madder. Their rates for Thai-only packages are pretty good, but if you want English language moves (me) + English language news (Hubby) then you have to pay U.S. rates. I think I'll be trotting down to the WeTV office soon. We've had them before at another home and it was good enough service, especially for the news channels. Between Fox and Al Jazeera, it was "fair and balanced". I've heard they've added BBC since we left them, so now we can also watch clueless British liberals. Altogether, about the same as CNN and BBC on True. Now for my movies -- well I guess I'll have to explore downloading to replace the old movies I saw on True.
That seems to be the general consensus over on this thread as well: http://www.thaivisa....t/page__st__250 My Dreambox provider says they are still trying to work out a solution. Now it seems they are looking towards OpenBox as the most likely potential solution at this point. This would mean abandoning your existing Dreambox and paying for a new device. As the NFL season is starting very soon, I've decided to give up on the dreambox and go with True Platinum. As Grammy (GMMZ) had taken over ASN (with shows NFL), I purchased a GMMZ box last month to be able to watch ASN. A week later, True announced that they took the rights to ASN back from GMMZ! Doh! So, True actually "got me" twice... Another aspect that will be interesting to see how it plays out, is that some Dreambox providers were offering a special recently for customers to pay 6 months or a year in advance at a discounted rate. Will these providers be paying out prorated refunds to all their customers if they can't provide further server or will they cut and run with the money. -Mestizo

Hi Throatwobbler, Dream boxes are NOT illegal, watching some stolen content is. regards Worgeordie

Two years ago we lost MNet and the Super Sport transmissions from South Africa. At the time I enquired about buying the service legally from South Africa, but it was no longer being broadcast to Asia.

Since then I have made do with the Dreambox, but now that has gone, I feel no great compunction to go to full UBC. I only ever watch the golf and cricket (on Super Sport), but really wanted it for The Open this weekend!

Whenever I try to find Satelite options, I find that they are not CM specific. If you go to Bangkok they can pick up the cricket from Malaysian satelite, but that is not available in CM as I understand it. I believe there is an Indian satelite that is an option but cant find any firm details on this, and believe you may need a card from India.

I now have 3 dishes on my house, various satelite boxes, and my question is, what is my best option for a decent satelite service, if any? Ideally, news, cricket, golf and rugby.

I have tried the 'slingbox' option from my Sky UK subscription, but found it ok for a quick update, but not really watchable on a computer screen and not good enough quality for the 'big screen'.

Iain

There are several options for Chiang Mai if you want to pm me.

what are some options?

Ok I will admit that I am no expert. One option is a freeware program named "Miro"

It is open source and allows you to derownload video to your computer. I have been able to download a huge variety of videos from news to movie reviews etc. some will be podcasts while there are videocasts too. It has an option to use torrents but to be honest I have not used this option. It also has an option to download youtube video to watch. Its very flexible program. another option is to look at the documentaries that you can find here---http://www.howtogeek.com/118650/the-best-websites-for-watching-free-documentaries/ It will not replace every thing but its a start.

I spoke to one of the pirate assistants today regarding the dream box. According to him, they expect to bring back 70 channels within a week. I have no idea which channels will be restored.

I understand from a friend that they are going to try a 70 channel Vietnamese version this week.

Anyone else hear anything like this?

Its already done. Tech came this weekend. Dish need to be modified (and pointed differently) and dreambox/openbox will get the Vietnamese feed. No Thai channels but I never watched them anyway. Gets about 30 Vietnamese channels (which I probably wont watch either). As far as the rest it is "a bit better than True Gold but not quite as good as True Platinum". About 12 HD channels (including ESPN sports, HBO, Star movies, Disc, etc. CNN, BBC, FOX, yes. ASN, no. Does not get the True sports channels obviously but does get two dedicated football channels ("Goal TV") which the guy said carries EPL football. Does not get TCM or MGM (which i liked from True Platinum). Oh well. Its free and I am not about to start sending True more than 2000 Bt a month.

Its already done. Tech came this weekend. Dish need to be modified (and pointed differently) and dreambox/openbox will get the Vietnamese feed. No Thai channels but I never watched them anyway. Gets about 30 Vietnamese channels (which I probably wont watch either). As far as the rest it is "a bit better than True Gold but not quite as good as True Platinum". About 12 HD channels (including ESPN sports, HBO, Star movies, Disc, etc. CNN, BBC, FOX, yes. ASN, no. Does not get the True sports channels obviously but does get two dedicated football channels ("Goal TV") which the guy said carries EPL football. Does not get TCM or MGM (which i liked from True Platinum). Oh well. Its free and I am not about to start sending True more than 2000 Bt a month.

Goal tv one and two dont carry EPL games they show championship games and scottish games

you might get a EPL game on Bonga or The Theo

Is there a monthly fee, or is it free?

The word from my guy is that true is changing the code everyday so they can't get around it and the Vietnam card is expensive (not according to lexilis) and if there is a problem it has to be sent back to Vietnam and it takes a long time and is expensive due to custom charges. He recommended True Vision special offer that is good only for this month, 2000 bht to buy each box, and if you have 4 boxes (can be friends in different locations) it's 700 bht ea. (2,400 for first, 400 more for next and next two for free) with a 6 mnth contract and you get to keep the rate as long as you want (I assume if all four accounts are active). Said they can sign me up and makes no money, just servicing their clients, they are very nice but I always wonder when something is done for free esp. when I'm not a client anymore.