'Amazing Sandwich Shop'...My Review.

doppa

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If youve been to Subway before than you have nothing to lose by going here., they're cheaper too...A sub is around 160 baht. The baked beans however are the Ayam brand sold at tops, the potato salad is ok and plentiful for the price, not gourmet but is ok.

What's amazing about a sandwich? It's just stuff between two slices of bread.

When they first opened near Chang Puek Gate they were (somewhat) amazing. That was back when there were very few restaurants in Chiang Mai serving decent Western food. However, time has marched on and things have improved a lot in that department.

Anyone who has a fridge must surely have enough ingredients to make a sandwich, unless it's something special that you wouldn't keep at home, or the fridge is full of beer. I don't quite see the point of going out for a sandwich.

Other than the meat it self either roast beef or grilled marinated chicken breast I also need a little bit of the following to balance it out

pickled jalapeno

mixed salad

Cheddar

Capsicum

Onions

Sliced cucumber

Sliced tomato

Real Mayo

Hot sauce

Easier to just let a shop sort them out

Edited by ARISTIDE

Anyone who has a fridge must surely have enough ingredients to make a sandwich, unless it's something special that you wouldn't keep at home, or the fridge is full of beer. I don't quite see the point of going out for a sandwich.

Other than the meat it self either roast beef or grilled marinated chicken breast I also need a little bit of the following to balance it out

pickled jalapeno

mixed salad

Cheddar

Capsicum

Onions

Sliced cucumber

Sliced tomato

Real Mayo

Hot sauce

Well I admit to not having the pickled jalapenos, but I have everything else and a lot more including good bread.

Hey, if someone enjoys going out for a sandwich it's their choice.smile.png

Edited by uptheos

pickled jalapeno

mixed salad

Cheddar

Capsicum

Onions

Sliced cucumber

Sliced tomato

Real Mayo

Hot sauce

Well I admit to not having the pickled jalapenos, but I have everything else and a lot more including good bread.

Hey, if someone enjoys going out for a sandwich it's their choice.smile.png

True, we also have everything but the jalapenos in our fridge at all times and also good quality bread. We can make better sandwiches here.

I've never tried Subway in Thailand and don't plan to but the other place is nothing amazing. I agree with UG. If I want to go out for a sandwich which I might once or twice a year, I would go to Dukes or Butter is Better. Actually I might have been to Butter is Better more than twice this year so far for a Reuben sandwich which I can't make at home.

• Like 1

Actually I might have been to Butter is Better more than twice this year so far for a Reuben sandwich which I can't make at home.

But but.. I thought Pickles is the only place of choice to get a Reuben (you have to call them first)

post-131333-0-28960300-1342419451_thumb.

• Like 1

pickled jalapeno

mixed salad

Cheddar

Capsicum

Onions

Sliced cucumber

Sliced tomato

Real Mayo

Hot sauce

True

But if you live here regularly and plan on having more than one sandwich it will be much cheaper than going out every time you feel like having a sandwich as well as more convenient. No ten minute drive hassle to park vehicle wait for what you hoped you ordered and ten minute drive home.

• Like 1

How about 'The Toast Sandwich'

and I quote

You simply put a piece of dry toast between two slices of bread and butter, with salt and pepper to taste. I've tried it and it's surprisingly nice to eat and quite filling.

post-131333-0-32942900-1342421559_thumb.

Do they do a mashed potato and gravy sandwich? That would be amazing! Sort of like a chip buttie only squishier ... oh, and you can buy Aussie SPC Baked Beans at Rimping. Ayam beans are crap.

A real good sandwich or even an amazing one is an art to make

I agree. When I make a sandwich at home it never tastes as good as a good sandwich shop. One reason is that I am too lazy to purchase and prepare a lot of ingredients myself, so tend to simplify the sandwich. The other negative is that I do not want to eat sandwiches very often, so am stuck with a bunch of bread, meat and cheese that I have to use up quickly when I do not really want it. For me, buying one sandwich from a good shop is preferable to making them at home unless it is just ham and cheese or something really simple.

just to make sure were talking about the right place here, it is called 'amazing sandwich' and it's opposite the lotus hotel.

maybe i had a bad experience, but how often is it you go back to a restaurant, hotel whatever if the experience you've had is 'crap, crap and more crap', none in my book, there's no second chance, and that's exactly how it should be.

oh and just to finish, their parking's crap too!................had to get one more in just to irritate.

What's amazing about a sandwich? It's just stuff between two slices of bread.

If you ever tried a pork pastrami or barbecued rib sandwich from Pickles Deli, and compared it to a Vegemite or peanut butter sandwich then you wouldn't be asking that question. :-)

Yes, parking is difficult. I usually walk over from Cod Swan Cow (sic, for me).

Doubtless it's true that sndwiches are no longer amazing to find in CM. But OK is OK, and breakfasts are in the mix - I too prefer them when I'm in the mood. If you were traveling across the United States in rural areas, you'd be glad to find it, if you liked such food.

Indeed, comparing sandwiches in CM is about as worthwhile as comparing fish and chips. But as suggested by junglechef, sandwiches have more promise and can delight in the higher realms of deliciousity (if not here or at Subway).

Subway gets my vote. I love bacon and when I go into subway they know me and all I have t do is pick which sub and say Amanda bacon and they put 6 or 7 pieces on it.

The big problem is it is only in the subway my ex manages back In Vancouver.biggrin.png

just to make sure were talking about the right place here, it is called 'amazing sandwich' and it's opposite the lotus hotel.

maybe i had a bad experience, but how often is it you go back to a restaurant, hotel whatever if the experience you've had is 'crap, crap and more crap', none in my book, there's no second chance, and that's exactly how it should be.

oh and just to finish, their parking's crap too!................had to get one more in just to irritate.

I guess yours is a NO vote. wink.png

True, we also have everything but the jalapenos in our fridge at all times and also good quality bread. We can make better sandwiches here.

Can I ask where you both buy your bread? Most, if not all, of the bread I have tried here has been average at best.

Cheers

I buy bread from Rimping Bakery or Purple grain bread at Tops

Can I ask where you both buy your bread? Most, if not all, of the bread I have tried here has been average at best.

Cheers

Keo you are right and good bread is relative to where you are in the world - Chiang Mai is not the bread centre of the world that's for sure.. I usually pick bread up from The Irish Pub, Rimping, TOPS and Kasem. Sometimes other places depending on where I am when I realise I need bread.

I guess yours is a NO vote. wink.png

no it's a crap votetongue.png

A screaming brat and a bible reading free with every meal!

I seem to have missed this little gem earlier, sounds more like Amazing Grace.

Any chance of elaborating on this intriguing comment?

Edited by uptheos

Keo you are right and good bread is relative to where you are in the world - Chiang Mai is not the bread centre of the world that's for sure.. I usually pick bread up from The Irish Pub, Rimping, TOPS and Kasem. Sometimes other places depending on where I am when I realise I need bread.

+1