TrueVisions Launched 17 HD Channels, Blocked Pirate Users Overnight

webfact

I was incandescent last evening when True Non-Visions decided to blank out the final stages of the Scottish Open golf tournament at 2300. My excitement had been building over the previous two hours when the result was more and more in doubt and it was becoming a very much nip and tuck affair. At the end of the month my box goes back, with the unpaid monthly invoice, and if they cock up the showing of The Open this week I shall be taking a 4 lb hammer to it before handing it in. Enough is enough.

Anybody advising me that I need a course in anger management can stick his advice where the sun doesn't shine.

I'm sure I saw an email apologizing for this being about to happen and advising of their website where it could be followed ...

i received the messages this morning (Tuesday) on my mobile. Guess who provides my mobile service? ****** True of course.

Wooooo saaaaaa... come on it's only golf and you can watch the next tournament in HD... you might even be able to see where they are hitting that tiny white ball in high def!!!

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was incandescent last evening when True Non-Visions decided to blank out the final stages of the Scottish Open golf tournament at 2300. My excitement had been building over the previous two hours when the result was more and more in doubt and it was becoming a very much nip and tuck affair. At the end of the month my box goes back, with the unpaid monthly invoice, and if they cock up the showing of The Open this week I shall be taking a 4 lb hammer to it before handing it in. Enough is enough.

Anybody advising me that I need a course in anger management can stick his advice where the sun doesn't shine.

You need a course in anger management!

True had advertised this change over and when it would take place for bloody months, frequent banners across the bottom of the screen and they even marked it on the TV guide so no one could have any excuse for not knowing when it would happen.

They certainly did. My wife also called up to ask was it necessary to change our box? Paying the 3500 demanded by the thieves at True (what an ironic name).

My wife was informed that if we did not require HD service then we could continue to use our existing box - fine, no worries there.

After the 'big change' we now have no GOLD or PLAT service - a service we PAY for.

My wife called UNTRUTH again only to be told we must buy the 3500 THB box.

What a load of khrap

I'm afraid in Thailand you often get the answer you want to hear. The pertinent question is when did your wife call? What the True staff told you was in fact "true" up to the much advertised cut off date/ addition of extra HD channels.

When they released the HD receiver and first added HD, if you had phoned and said "do I need the new HD receiver to continue watching True but not the HD channels?" they would have been quite correct in saying no, you can continue to watch the SD content on your old receiver. As for them "demanding" money from you, I think you are just being melodramatic.

The recent upgrade to both encoding and encryption services, coinciding with the additional HD content, has now changed that former "truth"... but as far as I am aware they have no psychic service staff able to foresee these future upgrades on their customer service team!

Please everyone just stop moaning and get the new receiver if you want the service, it's a much better machine and the HD channels and recording options are well worth the cost. Simply cancel your old sub and start a new one, 2,000 baht initial deposit per receiver and fantastic offer of 4x receivers, full subscription for c.2,800 baht a month... that's a bargain in my book, 700 baht a receiver!

Well, I can't agree here. I must say that I think that TRUE's behaviour has been very bad indeed. They just turned off the signal for me without warning in early March and did not apologise in any way.

They did replace my very old analog box with a Samsung HD box for free but I hear other subscribers who have had to pay for the upgrade. Maybe I was lucky to instruct my wife how to talk to True. Tell them that cable TV suddenly stopped working and tell them to come and fix it, no cost accepted.

Why should some current subscribers who promptly pay the bill every month have to pay for an upgrade to get the same viewing experience they had before? Plus a couple of crap HD channels that they would never watch anyway, like TNN HD, just a mediocre quality stretched SD which makes the normally beautiful call-girls look fat and ugly. I can agree that the "upgrade" is worth it for e.g. platinum subscribers but not for those who have the lower packages

There is no doubt that True deliberately just shut down the analog system where I live in early March knowing that the TVs of many paying subscribers would just go blank

Cheap and Dirty in my opinion

So Jayman, share the joy, what are the ingredients & method ?

I guess that the keyword is "torrent"...

correct.. torrents have all the content you could ever want in very HD quality all out there free for the taking. No sat dishes or program guides required. I use a NMT that I tell it what I like to watch and it monitors the schedules and as soon as the shows air they are downloaded and wait for me to press play on my TV. Stuff that TRUE would never carry nor any of these other asian sats. It really all depends what you want to watch. I don't watch sports as it does nothing for me to see men running around playing grab ass.

What do you want to watch today?

http://eztv.it/

http://www.bt-chat.com/

http://www.seventorrents.com/

oh cool.. just noticed that Breaking bad season just started Sunday night in US and now the new episode in HD has already been downloaded and is waiting for me to press play. And Weeds... who doesn't like weeds?

Give women's beach volleyball a try. If you want to go to watch remember the dress code. A dirty mackintosh raincoat is obligatory. biggrin.png

@Old Man River

You can set a Favorite List.

For example, go to Discovery HD and simply press the Red button on your remote than go to another channel lets say HBO HD and do it again and so on and so on. Once you add all your channels to the Favorite List you can switch between them with the blue bottom.

Thanks Lammbock. If this is still the same as prior to the upgrade, then you are limited to only 20 channels. As I have a PVR, I like to have quick access to those I may want to record, and due to the many sports, movie and other channels, 20 is limiting. Apart from the Favorites, is there any other way to eliminate the unwanted channels?

Thanks.

Well, I can't agree here. I must say that I think that TRUE's behaviour has been very bad indeed. They just turned off the signal for me without warning in early March and did not apologise in any way.

They did replace my very old analog box with a Samsung HD box for free but I hear other subscribers who have had to pay for the upgrade. Maybe I was lucky to instruct my wife how to talk to True. Tell them that cable TV suddenly stopped working and tell them to come and fix it, no cost accepted.

Why should some current subscribers who promptly pay the bill every month have to pay for an upgrade to get the same viewing experience they had before? Plus a couple of crap HD channels that they would never watch anyway, like TNN HD, just a mediocre quality stretched SD which makes the normally beautiful call-girls look fat and ugly. I can agree that the "upgrade" is worth it for e.g. platinum subscribers but not for those who have the lower packages

There is no doubt that True deliberately just shut down the analog system where I live in early March knowing that the TVs of many paying subscribers would just go blank

Cheap and Dirty in my opinion

"I must say that I think that TRUE's behaviour has been very bad indeed"............ "They did replace my very old analog box with a Samsung HD box for free".........."Cheap and Dirty in my opinion"

cheesy.gif ???!!!

So they came out and gave you a free upgrade to a new HD receiver and you call them cheap and dirty because you didn't see the writing on the wall (and screen banners, adverts in magazines, newspaper articles, threads on TV, notices on their website etc etc etc)... there really is no pleasing some people!

I'm sorry but this is just concrete proof that certain TV members need to get out a bit and gain a better sense of perspective of the world they live in. This is paranoia, bordering on psychosis. There is no plot to deny you Sat TV or extract money from you, this is a service upgrade, it is free and it is beneficial... I guess they should have personally visited every single customer and forced them to hand over their old receivers at gun point so that they could cheat you with their free upgrade to a better receiver and HD.... coffee1.gif

• Like 1

@Old Man River

For example, go to Discovery HD and simply press the Red button on your remote than go to another channel lets say HBO HD and do it again and so on and so on. Once you add all your channels to the Favorite List you can switch between them with the blue bottom.

Thanks Lammbock. If this is still the same as prior to the upgrade, then you are limited to only 20 channels. As I have a PVR, I like to have quick access to those I may want to record, and due to the many sports, movie and other channels, 20 is limiting. Apart from the Favorites, is there any other way to eliminate the unwanted channels?

Thanks.

They increased the favorites capacity via program change to at least 29 as that is what I have set up. But the new remote still does not come close to the convenience of the old Humux remote on the old box.

Seems that people either love or hate true but I find them more like the old adage women - cant live with them cant live without them expecially if you do not have high speed internet available.

The programming they provide is nice but the company itself is a good example why monopolys are outlawed in many many places on the planet. They do what they want with impunity for their own gain and everybody elses loss.

Went to one of their offices today to take advantage of this notice on their webpage. http://www.truevisio...spx?news_id=216

- Gold package members purchasing HD packages now can watch many channels in the Platinum package with 17 HD channels free for six months.

After waiting an hour to upgrade from standard gold to gold-a to meet the requirements they told me that this "special" had expired. Of course no indication of this on their website. I mentioned that I would certainly let the internet know of their brilliant bait and switch tactics and that in most places that is a chargable offense.

Then upon trying to pay my bill they said they could not take my master card. Showed them my receipt from Big C showing card confirmation from 10 minutes prior and they said not their problem.

How can people support the type of business practices that this company employes. From now on my wife can deal with these crooked cretins.

For those who might erroneously believe I am a whiner, let me offer what appears to be my solution.

We are going to open a new account with a rental receiver. The cost for this will be a deposit of 2,000 baht with the first month free and the monthly/30 day cost will be 1,413 Baht per month thereafter.

I will now find out if the billing cycle has indeed changed and will post my findings here at a later date.

The benefits to me are that I can apply for a refund of the nearly two months I have already paid in advance and I will keep my receiver and smart card for when they break the code and THEN I WILL STEAL THEIR PRODUCT!!!!

I'm just joking. Some of you guys need to lighten up.

We've been into our local branch today, and came away more confused than when we went in. We had bought our receiver, many years ago, and after reading comments on here, about exchanging new for old, (at a cost), I took it with us. At first they told us that could not sell us a new receiver, as they had none in stock, but would have stock in three days. We could however rent one, but had to pay 6 months deposit (9000 Baht), first. We decided to wait the three days. Then they discovered they did have some receivers for sale, at 3900 Baht.

We decided to buy one, as we were told to rent a receiver box was 1500 baht a month, with Gold package subscription fees of 1400 baht, on top of that. We asked to have the HD channels included, (extra cost 290 baht), and also the BBC package of Entertainment & CBBC, (a further 170 baht). after the True shop got in touch with whoever runs this joke of a company, we were told that the HD channels and BBC packages were only available to customers who rented their receivers - I thought the purpose of running a business was to make money, but it seems True can afford to turn my money away.

After I had stopped banging my head on the wall, we bought the receiver, but with only the Gold package as a subscription. It took the girls in the shop, (there was seven of them, and we were the only customers, apart from a couple of folks paying bills), over two hours to sort this out for us !

I have been a customer of this company, and UBC before it, for 12 years or so. I cannot understand why they differentiate between customers who rent their receivers, and those who buy them.

It seems they have no idea of how to treat loyal customers. Frankly I am amazed that any Thai people can afford to pay a monthly rental of 1500 baht, with additional package costs for whichever service they subscribe to, on top of that. Ridiculous way to run a business.mad.gif

Well my box quit working..trouble is it's a legal authorized True HD box, however the "service" provider that was foisted on me by BKK has screwed up the serial numbers and sim number so it won't work.

I'm about to tell UNTRUE to TAKE this BOX and stuff it....angry.png and so far BKK has been zero helpbeatdeadhorse.gif

We've been into our local branch today, and came away more confused than when we went in. We had bought our receiver, many years ago, and after reading comments on here, about exchanging new for old, (at a cost), I took it with us. At first they told us that could not sell us a new receiver, as they had none in stock, but would have stock in three days. We could however rent one, but had to pay 6 months deposit (9000 Baht), first. We decided to wait the three days. Then they discovered they did have some receivers for sale, at 3900 Baht.

We decided to buy one, as we were told to rent a receiver box was 1500 baht a month, with Gold package subscription fees of 1400 baht, on top of that. We asked to have the HD channels included, (extra cost 290 baht), and also the BBC package of Entertainment & CBBC, (a further 170 baht). after the True shop got in touch with whoever runs this joke of a company, we were told that the HD channels and BBC packages were only available to customers who rented their receivers - I thought the purpose of running a business was to make money, but it seems True can afford to turn my money away.

After I had stopped banging my head on the wall, we bought the receiver, but with only the Gold package as a subscription. It took the girls in the shop, (there was seven of them, and we were the only customers, apart from a couple of folks paying bills), over two hours to sort this out for us !

I have been a customer of this company, and UBC before it, for 12 years or so. I cannot understand why they differentiate between customers who rent their receivers, and those who buy them.

It seems they have no idea of how to treat loyal customers. Frankly I am amazed that any Thai people can afford to pay a monthly rental of 1500 baht, with additional package costs for whichever service they subscribe to, on top of that. Ridiculous way to run a business.mad.gif

Sounds like a total fiasco. The receiver rental cost is 155 baht a month, platinum package 2,000 baht a month, which includes BBC Knowledge and BBC Lifestyle, Entertainment and CBeebies are extra (but I seem to get them for free).

http://www.truevisionstv.com/package.aspx?id=39 All the monthly costs are listed here and should not vary from branch to branch. It sounds like the shop is staffed by a bunch of scammers, trying a fast one or just idiots.

I would return the receiver to the shop and call the customer service number rather than try to deal with the shop face to face http://www.truevisionstv.com/contactus.aspx , report the local shop and order what you want over the phone. I believe you can even sign up on the website but haven't tried it.

I would not advise buying the receiver either, rent it; you'll have to pay 2,000 baht deposit and I doubt you'll get a discount/ trade in for old receiver as you bought it (had it been rented they should simply swap them over for free). Good luck,

The True link may be helpful to some. It shows many of True's Key Promotions in a PowerPoint English presentation for their various services on TrueVisions, TrueMove, TrueOnline, etc. It can sure help to explain many of the promotions, especially when the promotion documents are usually in Thai only.

Go to the sublink that shows Key Promotions to open/download the presentation. The current presentation is dated 30 Apr 12 but as of this posting time it appears to be updated as of 24 May. At around page 39 you can see clear explanation of TrueVisions package costs, but I will admit the presentation don't to get into the HD service costs...the presentation is a little behind on that point...but for folks on the Platinum package the 17 HD channels are free....and I think folks on the Gold package can get 10 HD channels for B150/month.

About two months ago I took advantage of the offer to get a 3rd HD box/outlet at no additional monthly cost, but there is a B2000 baht deposit fee that you get back when turning in the box. No installation fee either, unless they need to use more than 20 meters of cable to hookup the the 3d outlet (I think they said it's B25 per meter when going over 20 meters). In my case they didn't need to use over 20 meters of cable, so the only out of pocket cost was the B2000 box deposit....and I've got 2 monthly bills since getting the 3rd box---no charge. Basically, I have 3 HD boxes but only pay for two. And for anyone wanting a 4th box it's monthly charge is half price. Note: I think this 3 and 4 box promotion only applies to folks on TrueVisions cable; not satellite. And in any promotion in the presentation if it indicates the promotion is expired, well as many of you know it's not uncommon for Thai promotions to still be active although their fliers/websites indicate they have expired...it the flier/web site is still being used then that's a good indicator the promotion is still active, but you will need to confirm by contacting the company.

@Old Man River

Thanks.

They increased the favorites capacity via program change to at least 29 as that is what I have set up. But the new remote still does not come close to the convenience of the old Humux remote on the old box.

Seems that people either love or hate true but I find them more like the old adage women - cant live with them cant live without them expecially if you do not have high speed internet available.

The programming they provide is nice but the company itself is a good example why monopolys are outlawed in many many places on the planet. They do what they want with impunity for their own gain and everybody elses loss.

Went to one of their offices today to take advantage of this notice on their webpage. http://www.truevisio...spx?news_id=216

- Gold package members purchasing HD packages now can watch many channels in the Platinum package with 17 HD channels free for six months.

After waiting an hour to upgrade from standard gold to gold-a to meet the requirements they told me that this "special" had expired. Of course no indication of this on their website. I mentioned that I would certainly let the internet know of their brilliant bait and switch tactics and that in most places that is a chargable offense.

Then upon trying to pay my bill they said they could not take my master card. Showed them my receipt from Big C showing card confirmation from 10 minutes prior and they said not their problem.

How can people support the type of business practices that this company employes. From now on my wife can deal with these crooked cretins.

The free HD channels for 6 months offer is still flashing at the bottom of each True channel as of today, maybe you should go back and draw their attention to this or if I was you ring the True call center to get upgraded, as with most shop staff here they just can't be arsed

Edited by darrendsd

@Old Man River

Thanks.

Thanks. It looks like the Favorites now handles my needs.

While this remote isn't as convenient as the Humax, from what I have experienced the Samsung PVR is light years better than the Humax PVR. Before I had to record everything three times to have a chance to get one good copy of what I wanted. That is no longer an issue (knock on wood).

@Old Man River

Thanks.

The free HD channels for 6 months offer is still flashing at the bottom of each True channel as of today, maybe you should go back and draw their attention to this ...

I agree. In the past this stuff has happened to us from TG where their marketing department issued promotions, but their staff didn't have a clue. We just showed them the promotions and they honored it. They had to or we would have simply selected another carrier. Recently it happened to me with Truevisions, but I got their customer service person on the phone and had them talk to the person where I was, and they honored it. Sometimes the marketing department's promotions are slow to filter to where their customers are.

• Like 1

Yes, as stated in my post I was looking at my actual bills as I wrote the post...I have/keep over a year's worth. Have you looked at your bills?

Yes I have and I, like everyone I know in Thailand, pay for the service monthly... on the exact same day of each month to be precise! Have you taken this up with True or do you expect some resolution by moaning about it on an internet forum?!

The wording used by True on their website and the experiences of others seem to suggest yours is an isolated mistake, either your own or Trues... http://www.truevisio...kage.aspx?id=39

Of course I pay monthly, I pay 12 times a year, and the exact same payment amount is always due no later than the 24th of the month (most all bills have a pay not later than date)....and that monthly payment is for either a 28 day month (29 days in leap year), a 30 day month, or a 31 day month as clearly shown on the bill...all depends on how many days are in that particular month....it's a monthly payment due regardless of how long that particular month may be....all these 28, 29, 30, or 31 day months add up 365/366 days.

Apologies Pib, it seems we are both in agreement that the bills are monthly not based on a 30 day period. My mistake, I replied to the wrong poster and have started a confusing chain of replies arguing a point we agree on sorry.gif

True on Samui uses the flat 30 day period. Maybe home office wrote something different on a website,

but in practice a floating 30 days, not 28,29 or 31,not a set day of the month,

but 30 days from last billing date.

I have been hassled by them several times over the years by this exact issue.

Yes I have and I, like everyone I know in Thailand, pay for the service monthly... on the exact same day of each month to be precise! Have you taken this up with True or do you expect some resolution by moaning about it on an internet forum?!

The wording used by True on their website and the experiences of others seem to suggest yours is an isolated mistake, either your own or Trues... http://www.truevisio...kage.aspx?id=39

Of course I pay monthly, I pay 12 times a year, and the exact same payment amount is always due no later than the 24th of the month (most all bills have a pay not later than date)....and that monthly payment is for either a 28 day month (29 days in leap year), a 30 day month, or a 31 day month as clearly shown on the bill...all depends on how many days are in that particular month....it's a monthly payment due regardless of how long that particular month may be....all these 28, 29, 30, or 31 day months add up 365/366 days.

Apologies Pib, it seems we are both in agreement that the bills are monthly not based on a 30 day period. My mistake, I replied to the wrong poster and have started a confusing chain of replies arguing a point we agree on sorry.gif

True on Samui uses the flat 30 day period. Maybe home office wrote something different on a website,

but in practice a floating 30 days, not 28,29 or 31,not a set day of the month,

but 30 days from last billing date.

I have been hassled by them several times over the years by this exact issue.

My wife is now in Loei signing us up for a rental contract. The cost is 2,000 baht deposit, 155 baht per month for service and 1,413 monthly (?) for gold package. The service charge provides free maintenance for the receiver during its life.

They are going to try and transfer the remaining 50-60 days left on my old gold package to our other receiver that had the knowledge package.

She asked specifically about the billing cycle and was told it is 30 days and not a calendar month. We will see.

correct.. torrents have all the content you could ever want in very HD quality all out there free for the taking. No sat dishes or program guides required. I use a NMT that I tell it what I like to watch and it monitors the schedules and as soon as the shows air they are downloaded and wait for me to press play on my TV

What is an NMT ??

What software handles this sort of scheduling of my viewing ??

I am doing the above but manually.. If there was a slicker way to load the media server, tidy the filesystem, keep correct metadata, I am all for it.

Interested in this.

HD torrents are highly compressed giving poor viedo and even worse audio quailty....No lossless audio not even as good as 5.1 dolby surround sound, But if you now have a sat box that is a paper weight, I guess its better then nothing. btw, How can a 25 gigabyte hd movie look the same after its compressed into 1.5 gigabytes...Keep living the dream.

Ask your sat provider how they just compressed the HD video and fit it in the space the SD video stream took up.. man you are daft.

You are totally right. Thaicom 5 has VC-Band: 25 transponders (all with 36 MHz) Ku-Band: 14 transponders (two with 54 MHz and 12 with 36 MHz)

that includes broadband, military, civil aviation true only has a slice of that avialable bandwith left.

The sitiuation will change with thaicom 7 maybe 2015

I retract my statement a few posts ago....... " i dont see the value of HD "....i have a 61" tv from samsung, so called 1080 and about 8 years old. I was in true shop today and paying my bills, and saw a modern TV with a James Bond movie.......... it was like i never saw before...... waow

My wife is now in Loei signing us up for a rental contract. The cost is 2,000 baht deposit, 155 baht per month for service and 1,413 monthly #?# for gold package. The service charge provides free maintenance for the receiver during its life.

They are going to try and transfer the remaining 50-60 days left on my old gold package to our other receiver that had the knowledge package.

She asked specifically about the billing cycle and was told it is 30 days and not a calendar month. We will see.

Here's a partial cut & paste of my July (a 31 day month) TrueVisions bill. I'm on cable in Bangkok and have the Platnium package with 3 HD boxes...there is no monthly charge for the 3d HD box...on the bill you will see they charge the rental fee for the 3d box but then substract an equal amount. Please note on the bill for the month of July the billing cycle reflected on the bill is for 31 days, 1 Jul-31 Jul. If I had also included a cut and paste of my Feb bill it would show a billing cycle of 1-29 Feb (2012 is a leap year). And my bills for 30 day months reflect a billing cycle of 1-30. Actually in an earlier post where I said I have over a year's worth of bills, I actually have almost 4 years worth...I just stuff then in a zip lock bag after paying them...probably time to throw away a few years worth. All the bills reflect a billing cycle which begins on the first day of the month and ends on the last day of the month, with a no later than payment due date of the 24th of each month.

Document (16).pdf

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1

My wife is now in Loei signing us up for a rental contract. The cost is 2,000 baht deposit, 155 baht per month for service and 1,413 monthly (?) for gold package. The service charge provides free maintenance for the receiver during its life.

As far as I can make out if you want HD it is 150 Baht extra a month.

@Old Man River

Thanks.

The free HD channels for 6 months offer is still flashing at the bottom of each True channel as of today, maybe you should go back and draw their attention to this or if I was you ring the True call center to get upgraded, as with most shop staff here they just can't be arsed

I think they are somehow right in trueshop about that promotion. It says gold members who had hd package before (12 channels on cable, 3 on sat) get 6 months all 17 hd channels for that money what they pay already. (290b, 390b? Don't remember how much that was) But You can not buy that package anymore. Gold members without that old hd package get one month free 10 hd channels and after that they can purchase that kind of hd package for 150b/month. And so can those gold members whose free 17 hd channel promo ends after 6 months. If You want all 17 hd channels, You have to purchase platinum package.

I retract my statement a few posts ago....... " i dont see the value of HD "....i have a 61" tv from samsung, so called 1080 and about 8 years old. I was in true shop today and paying my bills, and saw a modern TV with a James Bond movie.......... it was like i never saw before...... waow

And with the HD boxes even Standard Definition (SD) channels are significantly better...several months ago when True swapped out my SD boxes which were only 11 month old for the HD boxes, we noticed the significantly better SD pictures right off the bat...and of course the HD channels were super sharp. The HD boxes provided by True may not have all the features/options desired by many, but they definitely provide a sharp picture. Now, I'm on cable so my picture/reception may be a tad better than satellite reception.

Sounds like a total fiasco. The receiver rental cost is 155 baht a month, platinum package 2,000 baht a month, which includes BBC Knowledge and BBC Lifestyle, Entertainment and CBeebies are extra (but I seem to get them for free).

http://www.truevisio...kage.aspx?id=39 All the monthly costs are listed here and should not vary from branch to branch. It sounds like the shop is staffed by a bunch of scammers, trying a fast one or just idiots.

I would return the receiver to the shop and call the customer service number rather than try to deal with the shop face to face http://www.truevisio.../contactus.aspx , report the local shop and order what you want over the phone. I believe you can even sign up on the website but haven't tried it.

I would not advise buying the receiver either, rent it; you'll have to pay 2,000 baht deposit and I doubt you'll get a discount/ trade in for old receiver as you bought it (had it been rented they should simply swap them over for free). Good luck,

Well my wife rang Truevisions and the chap said we should go back to the shop (Phetchabun) tomorrow and they should change us over to the rental package, using the money we paid for the deposit and to subscribe to the Gold package. He also said that the extra channels we wanted, the HD package and the BBC package are available, as a la carte extras, and the girls in the shop should know this. We'll see what happens, but either way, I'm writing to the head office to complain. How hard can it be to have people working in a shop who actually know what they are talking about? I feel that we were conned today, Disgraceful way to treat long standing customers.

• Like 1

@Old Man River

Thanks.

Thanks. It looks like the Favorites now handles my needs.

While this remote isn't as convenient as the Humax, from what I have experienced the Samsung PVR is light years better than the Humax PVR. Before I had to record everything three times to have a chance to get one good copy of what I wanted. That is no longer an issue (knock on wood).

I do - Guide - Press Green Button - Click Right to Change to Favourites - Click Ok... now the guide only shows your favourite channels

I disagree with this. Buying costs 3,990 baht. Renting is 155 baht or so per month. If you buy one you'll be ahead after just over 2 years. Now when you consider that renting will also entail a 1,500 baht installation fee, and a 2,000 baht deposit that is tied up for x years, buying is an absolute no brainer.

I disagree with this. Buying costs 3,990 baht. Renting is 155 baht or so per month. If you buy one you'll be ahead after just over 2 years. Now when you consider that renting will also entail a 1,500 baht installation fee, and a 2,000 baht deposit that is tied up for x years, buying is an absolute no brainer.

As I said in an earlier post if you choose to buy your box and True decides to change the encryption again to a format not supported by the Samsung box (you never know, providers are always trying to stay a step ahead of pirates); don't blame True if they don't change your box, heck don't be surprised if they don't even bother to notify you of upcoming changes - leaving in the dark <again> during the transition.

Edit: what installation fee (1,500 Baht) is this? I've never paid any kind of fee for installation, even though True has changed my box 3 times over the years.

Edited by CanInBKK

My wife is now in Loei signing us up for a rental contract. The cost is 2,000 baht deposit, 155 baht per month for service and 1,413 monthly #?# for gold package. The service charge provides free maintenance for the receiver during its life.

Here's a partial cut & paste of my July (a 31 day month) TrueVisions bill. I'm on cable in Bangkok and have the Platnium package with 3 HD boxes...there is no monthly charge for the 3d HD box...on the bill you will see they charge the rental fee for the 3d box but then substract an equal amount. Please note on the bill for the month of July the billing cycle reflected on the bill is for 31 days, 1 Jul-31 Jul. If I had also included a cut and paste of my Feb bill it would show a billing cycle of 1-29 Feb (2012 is a leap year). And my bills for 30 day months reflect a billing cycle of 1-30. Actually in an earlier post where I said I have over a year's worth of bills, I actually have almost 4 years worth...I just stuff then in a zip lock bag after paying them...probably time to throw away a few years worth. All the bills reflect a billing cycle which begins on the first day of the month and ends on the last day of the month, with a no later than payment due date of the 24th of each month.

Document (16).pdf

Thanks for the effort but I never doubted you. My experience has been different but perhaps they have changed their billing cycles since I last received an invoice. The first month is free so I should get an invoice around 2-3 weeks from now. I will try and post the information here.

I'm sure the discussion will still be raging.

As I said in an earlier post if you choose to buy your box and True decides to change the encryption again to a format not supported by the Samsung box (you never know, providers are always trying to stay a step ahead of pirates); don't blame True if they don't change your box, heck don't be surprised if they don't even bother to notify you of upcoming changes - leaving in the dark <again> during the transition.

Edit: what installation fee (1,500 Baht) is this? I've never paid any kind of fee for installation, even though True has changed my box 3 times over the years.

I have 3 HD boxes provided by TrueVisions...have had them around 2 months. 2 of the 3 have already been replaced by TrueVisions because when turning them on from standby 2 of them began saying something along the lines of "Updating, please wait..." and you had no picture. I had to remove and reinsert the subscription card each time to make the error go away and get the picture. The 3d box didn't have this problem...all three boxes are identical models. If I left the boxes fully on all the time the boxes did have the problem, but turn them to standby and back on and the problem occurred...gets old fast removing and reinserting the subscription card.

So, we call TrueVisions...a True Tech gives us the instructions on how to do a firmware update which he said usually fixes this issue. You turn the box off, turn it back on, as soon as you see the word Booting on the box you press Exit on the remote and quickly enter the code 2485, and then a downloading/updating firmware type screen appears....you wait until the down/update process completes/reaches 100%, and autotmatically resets the box. I did this on both boxes; didn't help.

Call Center said they would replace the boxes the next day. A Tech did arrive the next day...first thing he tried was the firmware upgrade again...it didn't fix the problem as my try didn't...he then swapped out the two boxes which had the problem. Heck, we even ran the firmware upgrade process on all three boxes while he was there....all three boxes continued to work properly and still continue to work. The tech said they have had quite a few boxes with this particular problem...and the problem don't seem to appear until a few days after installation.

As I said in an earlier post if you choose to buy your box and True decides to change the encryption again to a format not supported by the Samsung box (you never know, providers are always trying to stay a step ahead of pirates); don't blame True if they don't change your box,

Fair point, but my last box lasted 7.5 years - I think there's a good chance a new one would last two and a bit.

heck don't be surprised if they don't even bother to notify you of upcoming changes - leaving in the dark <again> during the transition.

Like you I wouldn't be. It was news to me when all of a sudden I discovered I needed a new box.

I may have been mistaken, but I think there's an installation fee for something - not sure if it's rental or purchasing though. Either way buying the box seems to be the best bet to me.