Food

Tommy burgers and Taco Bell. (You need to be from SoCal to know about Tommy's) I know it's horribly greasy food, but sometimes I get a real craving for one of those gut bombs late at night but can't find them anywhere in Asia. Oh yes, and of course mom's home cooked Thanksgiving turkey meal. But overall I prefer the cuisine in Asia to what I grew up on.

Come to think of it, I wouldn't mind having an In-n-out Double-Double right about now.

Edited by BKK Traveler

Good Mexican burritos, tacos, and tortas with all the trimmings, like fresh salsa fresca and guacamole

Also, the wine is too ###### bloody expensive in Thailand.

Are you Mexican or did you spend lots time in Mexico?

Not Mexican but lots of trips to Mexico and living for most of my life in urban US neighborhoods with lots of Latinos.

I think for Americans, especially Californians, real Mexican food is big crave.

Any entrepreneurs out there, you can have a sure thing if you build a burrito joint similar to a San Francisco Mission district style place where you "build your own burrito" by choosing items from a hot plate. You could easily charge the same price as the US for this (about 240 baht) if it included the correct ingredients. Important to hire a chef consultant from the US who actually can teach how to do this properly.

And no, Big Als on 2nd road in Pattaya is NOT what I am talking about!

In the picture of a classic San Francisco burrito joint in the link, note how people are at the counter, they are telling the servers how to prepare their burrito, what kind of beans, what kind of meat, what kind of rice, what kind kind of salsa, hot or mild, guacamole or no, cheese or no. I am getting hungry now.

http://www.snapcity.com/past/snap59/snap59.html

Edited by Thaiquila

Shouldn't this thread be in the food thread category... :o

Generally there is not that much to miss foodwise in Thailand because you can get almost everything. Sometimes I rather miss a certain athmosphere along with certain food, cos its difficult to have an authentic one over here...

Edited by Khun Yak

I live in Korat, so farang food is not as available as in Bangkok.

I miss having a good burger now and then.

Decent cheese is very hard to come by and I'd love a nice hunk of sharp, hard Cheddar with some crusty French bread and a bottle of wine that didn't cost an arm and a leg.

It would also be nice to get a decent ham or turkey sandwich. I also wouldn't mind a big fat hot pastrami sandwich on Rye bread with some spicy mustard, a giant kosher dill pickle, potato salad and a cream soda.

Just dreaming here....

Not me!

Where do those who are no longer in Thailand post re' foods they miss?

The topic was headed> [Food, What do you miss?]

When / why did that become a question about "western food?"

Thailand Forum > Food in Thailand > Western Food in Thailand

Note that this is a "Thailand" forum so if you want to post about non Thai food and you are not in Thailand I suspect you may have made the wrong turn. :o

Good Mexican burritos, tacos, and tortas with all the trimmings, like fresh salsa fresca and guacamole

Also, the wine is too ###### bloody expensive in Thailand.

Are you Mexican or did you spend lots time in Mexico?

Not Mexican but lots of trips to Mexico and living for most of my life in urban US neighborhoods with lots of Latinos.

I think for Americans, especially Californians, real Mexican food is big crave.

Any entrepreneurs out there, you can have a sure thing if you build a burrito joint similar to a San Francisco Mission district style place where you "build your own burrito" by choosing items from a hot plate. You could easily charge the same price as the US for this (about 240 baht) if it included the correct ingredients. Important to hire a chef consultant from the US who actually can teach how to do this properly.

And no, Big Als on 2nd road in Pattaya is NOT what I am talking about!

In the picture of a classic San Francisco burrito joint in the link, note how people are at the counter, they are telling the servers how to prepare their burrito, what kind of beans, what kind of meat, what kind of rice, what kind kind of salsa, hot or mild, guacamole or no, cheese or no. I am getting hungry now.

http://www.snapcity.com/past/snap59/snap59.html

mmmm...me sum too. My favorite SF taqueria was located on Valencia a couple of doors south of 16th, useta be one of the originals and best known (talking about 1980-81). I lived in the Inner Mission off of 16th round the corner from the Roxie theater in 1973 and there weren't no taquerias of the build your own type back then.

Still my favorite is SoCal mexican food which is distinct from the NoCal variety...no NoCal type taquerias in SoCal that I remember (from 1987)...different combination dishes (a good chile relleno is to die for), carnitas, birria, etc...

also...good and cheap down home japanese food as prepared in little mom and pop restaurants that you find all over California...noodle and nabe dishes, shabu shabu and etc...not a roll of sushi in sight...

(oh, boo hoo hooo...why do I get started on these things...my keyboard awash with tears...)

Edited by tutsiwarrior

Not me!

Note that this is a "Thailand" forum so if you want to post about non Thai food and you are not in Thailand I suspect you may have made the wrong turn. :o

Noted.

Where do Thai expats post what foods they miss?

I miss American style mashed potatos (not too thick or thin); roast turkey with cornbread stuffing and cranberry; Texas style sliced beef barbecue; cole slaw that's as sweet as the Thai KFC but not that wet; Tex-Mex beef enchiladas and beef tacos; really creamy ice cream (Ben&Jerry's is fine); pecan pie; millionaire pie (meringue and chocolate and graham cracker crust); German potato salad (no mustard or mayonnaise); ......I should have gone home for Thanksgiving.

Don't know 'bout y'all but I miss a good plate of Coon in LOS. :D

A buddy of mine gave me a recipe for cooking a turkey the other day but I thought I would let you know how to cook a raccoon. First you take a coon and skin him, clean the guts and all the waste out of him. Put the coon in a large metal baking dish, now stick a big raw carrot up his ass and leave the green stem on the carrot. Start cooking the coon at 400 degrees, let cook for 2 hours and pull him out and take hold of the carrot stem and pull out of his ass, if the carrot is gone, then the coon is ready for serving. Enjoy with potatoes and onions etc. :o

Don't know 'bout y'all but I miss a good plate of Coon in LOS. :D

A buddy of mine gave me a recipe for cooking a turkey the other day but I thought I would let you know how to cook a raccoon. First you take a coon and skin him, clean the guts and all the waste out of him. Put the coon in a large metal baking dish, now stick a big raw carrot up his ass and leave the green stem on the carrot. Start cooking the coon at 400 degrees, let cook for 2 hours and pull him out and take hold of the carrot stem and pull out of his ass, if the carrot is gone, then the coon is ready for serving. Enjoy with potatoes and onions etc. :o

They will be SURE that you are a redneck now Boon! :D

Not me!

Noted.

Where do Thai expats post what foods they miss?

Sorry, I didn't mean to mess up this thread and causing a discussion where to post this best - lets keep talking about food, I'm hungry

Edited by Khun Yak

OK, back to food.

I have not found SNOW PEA LEAVES or To Miao (pronounce something like Dow Mee-yu in Chinese) in Chinese Thai restaurants.

Are they available?

If you are a Chinese vegetable fan, you know these are the cat's meow!

I miss them.

Does anyone know the Thai name for these leaves? I am not talking about the sprouts (which I think I have seen here), those are very nice, but not the same.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/imag...1&tt=1&ei=UTF-8

Edited by Thaiquila

I miss good italian food, but as well the atmosphere in Italy (went there a few times for holiday). I'm not talking about Pizza but the local cuisine in Liguria along with a nice red wine and an espresso and not to forget a nice grappa. But all this is just have the joy without actually being there... :o

Indian food, Shreddies, Chicken & Mushroom pot noodles (i'm a pikey)

Marks and Spencer food. :o

Great I am not the only one SHREDDIES my search for the Holy Grail one of my true failures I cannot find them ..

.Good Cheddar found it , Branston Pickle got two last week , bisto gravy got it ,

Marks and Spencer Xmas cake got one ,

But I do miss a few pints , a cold frosty night , a long line to wait and gossip in the Fish and Chip shop , Then ...Fish and Chips with scraps on ( dependant on the area scraps are , bits , scrapins , batters , scratchings , any more suggestions !!!!) Then masses of salt and vinegar ...slowly walk up the street with your mates as the grease and vingar leaks from the newspaper onto your parka jacket .. but what a taste ..and when you get home the smell still lingers on your fingers ( but that is another subject)

Edited by rcalsop

Indian food, Shreddies, Chicken & Mushroom pot noodles (i'm a pikey)

Marks and Spencer food. :o

a long line to wait and gossip in the Fish and Chip shop , Then ...Fish and Chips with scraps on ( dependant on the area scraps are , bits , scrapins , batters , scratchings , any more suggestions !!!!) Then masses of salt and vinegar ...slowly walk up the street with your mates as the grease and vingar leaks from the newspaper onto your parka jacket .. but what a taste ..and when you get home the smell still lingers on your fingers ( but that is another subject)

Well, Watch this space cos there is a new Chippy opening in Bangkok soon, Will be doing take aways too...the guy who is opening it has been trained by the British Federation of Fish Friers!!! Didnt know such a thing exsited.!!

He will also be doing all your English breakfast stuff too!!

Cheers

Edited by Muppetbkk

Marmite used to be the thing, however after our summer holidays we now have 5kg of theblack gold. In previous years we would be reliant on the kindness of visitors. Branston. I know it is available but the price is ridiculous. Proper suet crust meat pies - the best sort are the Tesco ones. Lovely and lardy. Good bread that you don't have to travel for an hour to buy. Cheese. Where to start with cheese. A decent selection at a realistic price. Skirt. A cut of beef that caseroles so beatifully you would sell a kidney for it. I don't think that the meat here is good at all. When we first arrived I couldn't believe my eyes. Uterus's, chickens feet (<deleted>?) and all the intestines etc. :o Now I just buy what I can and dream of cheese...................................