Toeic For Non Native Speakers

stevo2

Good Afternoon All,

I am looking for a list of test centres for our team of Filipinos who need to take the Toeic test. As I understand it this is now a new requirement at the TCT for non native speakers. We are located in Issan so any centres up here would be a plus. Otherwise I guess it will be Bangkok.

Thanks

This has been a requirement for quite some time. The information I have is from a few years back, but I will post it here and hopefully if anyone has more current information they can let the OP know:

Test Center:

Center for Professional Assessment Thailand

Address & Contact:

Bangkok Main Office

Center for Professional Assessment (Thailand)

TOEIC® Services

Suite 1907, Bangkok Business Building,

54 Asoke Road Sukhumvit

Bangkok 10110 Thailand

Tel. (66) 2260-7061, 2260-7189, 2260-7535, 2259-8840, 2664-3131, 2664-3132

Fax (66) 2664-3122.

e-mail: [email protected]

As I understand it this is now a new requirement at the TCT for non native speakers.

Better to say, for other than UK, USA, CDN, AUS and NZ Nationals.

http://www.ksp.or.th...up.php?newid=35

Bangkok Main Office

TOEIC® Services

Suite 1907, Bangkok Business Building

54 Asoke Road Sukhumvit

Bangkok 10110 Thailand

Tel. (66) 2260-7061, 2259-3990

Fax (66) 2664-3122.

Northern Region Branch Office

TOEIC® Services (Northern Region)

Fl. 3 Nawarat Building

4/6 Kaewnawarat Rd. Soi 3

Chiangmai 50000 Thailand

Tel. (53) 248-208, 306-600...Fax (53) 248-208

But there seem to be 6 regional test locations.

http://www.cpathaila...nd-test-centers

Our non-native English teachers, including anyone not from the listed countries, have to have an English language proficiency exam. The TOEIC is the most easy to obtain. This is done when they are hired. In subsequent years, it is not needed for an extension of stay. The results of the TOEIC are good for 2 years, after which it expires. We have had teachers who have worked at other schools, but when we hired them they had to re-take the exam if it was more than 2 years old.

I have an odd question. Are native English speakers barred from taking the exam? One of my Thai friends who has taken it told me that they don't allow people who are already fluent in English to take the exam. This makes no sense to me; as long as I'm willing to plunk down my registration fee, why would they even care?

It seems to be that a teacher or tutor would be able to sharpen their skills a bit if they knew exactly what the test looked & sounded like. Several Thais who have taken it have told me that the available test prep books are not even close to being as challenging as the real test is. I've looked at a few of them and they do seem very easy, even for an intermediate student.

I went to the reservation web site and don't see anything that talks about certain nationalities being barred.

Are native English speakers barred from taking the exam?

Let me tell you about a (slightly) related story.

A couple of years ago, I went back to Australia when my dear, old mum passed away.

My brother and I each received an inheritance and one investment possibility that brother looked at was buying a taxi and then leasing it out. It’s actually the taxi plate that is the investment.

Anyway, even though my brother didn’t want to drive the taxi himself, he thought it wouldn’t hurt to get a taxi driver’s permit, just in case. I mean, a taxi owner without a taxi driver’s permit? Strange!

So, he made some enquiries and learned that the Australian State of Queensland had recently overhauled their taxi driver’s permit application process and one of several new requirements was to undertake an English proficiency test at a TAFE college.

No exceptions!

As an Australian born, raised and educated individual, my brother would have been required to prove that he could communicate in English in order to get a taxi driver’s permit.

I believe (but I could be mistaken) that the TOEIC is needed by the MOE for the letter to get the Non-immigrant B visa. Our non-native speaking teachers all have to take the TOEIC before the paperwork is submitted for the non-immigrant visa.

I believe (but I could be mistaken) that the TOEIC is needed by the MOE for the letter to get the Non-immigrant B visa. Our non-native speaking teachers all have to take the TOEIC before the paperwork is submitted for the non-immigrant visa.

Maybe a local requirement then.

As of 1 February 2012 it's mandatory when aplying for a TCT provisional teaching permit.

Maybe a local requirement then.

As of 1 February 2012 it's mandatory when aplying for a TCT provisional teaching permit.

Is there a particular minimum score that is required? And just how fluent is a speaker with this minimum requirement?

I can't give you a definitive answer, but I was told our school wants a score of 650. We had someone who got less than 650 and the admin girl who handles visas said no, a score of 600 was sufficient.

I can't give you a definitive answer, but I was told our school wants a score of 650. We had someone who got less than 650 and the admin girl who handles visas said no, a score of 600 was sufficient.

Thanks, I'll have to follow up with our filipino teachers and see what the current status is.

Our new Filipino teachers have to do the test as well.

Not sure if those who're already working at our school for years have to do the test when renewing their visa/work permit next year.

Does anybody have information about those who are already working here for years?

Any input would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks in advance------wai.gif

Our teachers take the TOEIC only once (provided they pass!). Until/unless they change schools and start the process over, they should be OK. If they do leave one school and go to another, they can use the TOEIC score as long as it is within the 2 year validity period.

I have a list of requirements from the TCT. It says that non native speakers must take the test in order to get a waiver.

The time frames involving vadility suggests that they will have to test every two years, to get a new waiver.

It doesn't state scores but I seem to remember 650.

Edited by puchooay