Help Sleeping

mrbojangles

So my last cigarette was @ 9am on the14th July and I haven't had one since. Although I'd love a ciggie I think I'm coping ok with the cold Turkey. The only thing I'm not coping with, is the sleepless nights. I thought it would just last a few nights but since I stopped I wake up at 1am, 3am, 5am etc etc every night and it really is doing my head in, more than missing the ciggies. Did anyone else go through this and if so, what did you take to help you sleep?

I have the same problem, though It is anxiety (arising after quiting smoking 4 weeks ago) that is keeping me from sleeping. I have just started taking 25mg of Atarax (Hydroxyzine dihydrochloride) about 30 - 45 mins before I go to bed. It seems to work quite well.

Edited by Heavenfield

Try some of the natural/herbal sleep medicines... just goto any pharmacy and ask, they all carry it... wont make you fuzzy like the chemical sleepers do and might be enough to help you sleep.

The actual number of hours sleep you get isnt the important factor, its the amount of REM sleep you get thats important

Mr. Bj, when I managed to quit for a couple of months I too went cold turkey. Don't remember sleepless nights as part of the withdrawl, sleepless nights are the norm for me it seems these days sadly. zzzz

A couple weeks on now your lungs are probably starting to cough up the shit in there. Your taste is prob getting better (not counting football of course) and your eyes are probably brighter and clearer looking. The nic urge is probably gone by now.

Piece of advise from moi, change your daily habits a bit. Skip the coffee first thing and have a juice. After dinner pound back some fruit or go out for a quick walk. I am thinking of giving it another go soon so good luck.

Thanks gents. I am carrying on with the cold Turkey. Still waking up in the middle of the night but determined not to give in. 2 weeks and 5 days now without even a sneaky puff of a cigarette.

Good for you on quitting. I started smoking in 1966 quit in 1986. I was the kind of smoker that would wake-up at 2:00 am to have a cigarette. If you are the same , it may be your body waking you up for nicotine. It gets better with time. What I remember about quitting are the vivid dreams I would have about smoking. They lasted several years a couple of times a week. But did not cause me to wake up. I just missed smoking I guess. Hell of an addiction. Continue to be strong and you will kick it.

• 4 weeks later...

Mr. Bj, when I managed to quit for a couple of months I too went cold turkey. Don't remember sleepless nights as part of the withdrawl, sleepless nights are the norm for me it seems these days sadly. zzzz

A couple weeks on now your lungs are probably starting to cough up the shit in there. Your taste is prob getting better (not counting football of course) and your eyes are probably brighter and clearer looking. The nic urge is probably gone by now.

Piece of advise from moi, change your daily habits a bit. Skip the coffee first thing and have a juice. After dinner pound back some fruit or go out for a quick walk. I am thinking of giving it another go soon so good luck.

Sorry james, only just seen your post. Thanks for the support and I am still going strong 6 weeks and 6 days on, just had 3 weeks in Thailand and never cheated once. That was my worry time. Wanted one every day but didn't cave in. Sleeping better but getting more heart burn / indigestion than I've ever had and strangely having been coughing up any <deleted> yet. I thought I would have been by now. Does that mean there is no <deleted> in there and I can carry on smoking again tongue.png

• 2 weeks later...

Good for you Bo J, I really hope you can make it, I have just tried another course of Champix but the horrific nightmares they produce made me give in again.

Looks like I am gonna have to quit cold turkey like you when my current supply that I procured at the airport has gone, but it's not easy after 30 a day for 40 odd years.

Anyway, this is about you not me

Well done mate...I'm jealousclap2.gifthumbsup.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers TP. 9 weeks and 3 days now, without even a small cheat. Not out of the woods yet but it is getting a bit easier.

And even though this is my topic, it's about all of us supporting each other. Don't wait till you've finished your DF's. I've still got 6 packs of Marlboro's in the cupboard and haven't been tepted yet. Well I have but I didn't tongue.png

Sorry james, only just seen your post. Thanks for the support and I am still going strong 6 weeks and 6 days on, just had 3 weeks in Thailand and never cheated once. That was my worry time. Wanted one every day but didn't cave in. Sleeping better but getting more heart burn / indigestion than I've ever had and strangely having been coughing up any <deleted> yet. I thought I would have been by now. Does that mean there is no <deleted> in there and I can carry on smoking again tongue.png

I gave up smoking back around 2000. For the first 3 or 4 days it was tough, then I got a bad throat infection. I was coughing and bring up lots of phlem, had a sore throat. and lost my voice. This lasted for a month, but during this time I wouldn't have been able to smoke even if I felt like it. When my throat infection cleared I never felt like wanting a cigarette again. Smokers cough I had cleared up completely as well.

Another option for the sleep problems may be your eating habits. When I was off cigarettes, the habit was replaced by eating snacks, don't even realise you are doing it sometimes. If you find yourself eating sugary snacks and fizzy drinks in the evening, it could be producing a sugar rush that keeps waking you up. Get yourself into a routine. No naps in the daytime, if you feel yourself dropping off, go for a walk and liven yourself up. Try giving yourself a "get up" time in the morning. If you are working this should take of that, but if you are retired, then don't lounge in bed in the mornings. Get up early and set yourself a routine. You should then be tired and sugar free at night. If you feel like having a snack, eat a carrot or something similar that is sugar free.

Best of luck on kicking the sticks

Edited by I Like Thai