Alcoholism Like Falling In Love

Swelters

Whether alcoholism is a disease or not may be unanswerable but the degree that excess alcohol use is socially disdained is certainly a part of its meaning though rarely included in the definition. Fairly long experience convinces me that the compulsion to drink is very similar subjectively to the feeling of being in love. In fact conservative Buddhists consider both to be detrimental. Arguably, ungoverned romantic love leads in most cases to poor choices and consequences as well though this is ignored or denied especially in western thinking. So are all those songs really about a disease? A plausible conclusion if you listen to them with a clear mind.

"Fairly long experience convinces me that the compulsion to drink is very similar subjectively to the feeling of being in love"

Lord, I hope not. Or next time I may end up passing out and shatting myself after too much lovin'.

I'm guessing that he's comparing it (love) to the spiritual malady or the mental obsession, or perhaps even the physical addiction.

Though I believe some amongst us have lost houses, families and jobs through love, or awoken with blood on our (their) hands

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI5LWwC-cE8

"Why, why, why, Delilah?

.... I felt the knife in my hands, and she laughed no mo-ore"

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy