Accidents Happen And The Foreigner Wasn'T At Fault....

4evermaat

Last Saturday the 14th, had a collision not far from Chumphon Town where the other motorbike came out of a side street without looking. I t-boned him before I had a chance to react. Surprisingly the little step-daughter only got minor scratches. We both were wearing our helmets at the time...a real life saver. I was the one with most of the damage to the left leg and left shoulder. There was also no oncoming traffic on the other side for a few minutes; that helped avoid an even worst accident. The locals started to swarm the area, and they looked concerned for me. I remember one of the onlookers offering a large crystal water. I called the gf (not with me at the time) and had her do most of the talking. The first police arrived in about 10 minutes, and then more 10 minutes later along with ambulance. The other guy admitted fault and it looked like everyone concurred. I was only asked for my name. No ID or passport was ever given. The first priority was securing the scene, figuring out what happened quickly and making sure we got to the hospital.

At the hospital, the police asked for my name and age, and when the gf arrived, she gave other details. The brother of the guy who caused the accident really stepped in and offered to pay for the hospital bill and all sorts of stuff, including giving us a ride home. I think the hospital bill was 1000 or 1500 baht, which included the xray. Nothing was broken that I knew of. Very swollen, but not broken. The pain didn't actually kick in fully until the next day. By the time we left the hospital, police station was mostly empty, we were told to come back the next day, which turned out to be the day after (Monday) afternoon.

We return to the police station on Monday. Before we go, the gf asked if I 'wanted more money'. I took this to mean 'press charges' or sue for additional damages. I declined this (what else would I go after anyway?) and it would cost more money to the police, judge, etc. The wounds will heal, and the brother has already shown good will. It was interesting to note that I was offered the option. On paper, the other guy admitted fault and offered to pay for the full damage of the motorbike. Since there was no additional disagreement, we had to have honda mechanic come to the police station and make signed estimate for the damage to each motorbike. The head mechanic from one of the honda dealers came with a thick honda book and did the estimate (why they have white uniforms are beyond me). We went back into the police station and settled up everything. GF and guy causing accident had to make signed copy of their thai ids. Then we have to go to a different office, apparently the front desk, where the officer assigned to the case took his notepad and had another officer transcribe the incident into a more official, thick ledger. At the end of the transcription, 3 lines were drawn and I signed on one of them, the guy causing accident signed, and the officer signed the other line. Then we were told to go home. I didn't see any money change hands for any of the police services.

The police love TV. Every room seemingly had one.

BTW, the damage of my motorbike totaled 11,500 baht. The front wheel was smashed in so the bike could not turn at all. But it didn't look so bad from the outside (relatively speaking). It was only as you looked deeper you could see some of the loose internal parts that would need to be replaced. The motor started up fine though. The dealer gave us a free motorbike to borrow (with 1,000 baht 'bondsai') until the repairs are finished, about 2-3 weeks as some parts have to be ordered. On paper, the other guy is responsible for all of the cost. Off paper, he said he could pay 1/2 of the damages. In practice? I'll probably end up covering the full cost if I want the bike back in any timely fashion.

Now had the accident been my fault? I don't know how different the treatment would have been. I thought it was a relief that the locals were quite fair about the matter. I heard so many things here about how even stopping for an accident that you were not involved in is not advised for a foreigner because somehow you might get part or all of the blame. My experience was surprisingly straightforward.

PS: Is there a poster or chart that shows the different rank insignia for the police officers? I couldn't tell who had what rank. And some of the uniform colors....some people wore black. Some wore a lighter black, and some had a dark brown uniform. Not sure what that was all about either.

edit: The crashed motorbike id a honda click i auto 2010/11 model.

Edited by 4evermaat
  • Like 2

get well soon man.

I had an accident here on my old cbr 150 and the guy crashed me paid all the bills in a very straight forward manner and we did not even went to the police station! No ID or license asked!

Of course, if it will happen in a touristic area like Pattaya, Phuhet, Sukhimvit Road etc, you get nothing if you do not have a license and insurance, they sure find a way not to pay anything.

It is i think depends on people as well. People degenerated with farang money in Pattaya, Phuket is hard to deal in these kind of circumstances.

Anyway, it is good that you are OK.

Thanks for sharing. More evidence that the "you are farang, if you weren't here, this wouldn't have happened" nonsense you hear some people spouting.

Can I ask what kind of license you do have, if any? Do you have a Thai DL or DL from your home country ? IDP? Were you ever asked to present a DL?

Phuket is hard to deal in these kind of circumstances.

Not exactly sure what you mean by that, but I had two friends have almost the exact same thing happen to them, but they were on very expensive big bikes, one a Harley Night Rod, another a BMW S1000RR. Not their fault and treated accordingly. Same when my Dad visited and had an accident with a Thai on a bike. He had no IDP but it was never asked for bu police or rental company.

Thanks for sharing. More evidence that the "you are farang, if you weren't here, this wouldn't have happened" nonsense you hear some people spouting.

Can I ask what kind of license you do have, if any? Do you have a Thai DL or DL from your home country ? IDP? Were you ever asked to present a DL?

Phuket is hard to deal in these kind of circumstances.

Not exactly sure what you mean by that, but I had two friends have almost the exact same thing happen to them, but they were on very expensive big bikes, one a Harley Night Rod, another a BMW S1000RR. Not their fault and treated accordingly. Same when my Dad visited and had an accident with a Thai on a bike. He had no IDP but it was never asked for bu police or rental company.

last time, a guy hit me from behind at the red lights while going to Jomtien Beach from Bangkok.

Surprisingly, i had nothing on my bike as the guy hit my number plate holder which is metal and his truck got scratched all over.

It was a big mess and a brawl was about to happen - i wear helmet, jacket and gloves so any brawls welcome biggrin.png - then, i was threatened by teh guy and his three friends on the back of teh pick up that they call teh police if i do not pay him 3000 thb. I did not pay, nothing to scare as i was not drunk, full licensed and registered. Police came, i explained them that i was justwaiting on teh red lights. They did nto beleive me, rode me to police station, let me waut there an hour for alcohol test with teh pick up guys.

Then, i was bored and tired and at the end left teh police station with a broken plate holder - 50 thb anyway. But, if i had something big on my bike, they did not cover it and police did not offer any help.

This is what it is man. Your friends might be lucky.

• Like 1

Had 2 accidents since moving to Thailand. Before that, clean record, not even a small bump.

On both occasions, I did not experience the ugliness that I read of here in thaivisa-land. There was no issue of the foreigner being wrong. In the second case, the guy even offered me a cigarette as we waited for the cops/insurance. I think as long as you don't come out all angry and aggressive (no matter who was wrong) and maybe express some concern about everyone being OK after the accident, you may not be treated as a <deleted> foreigner that the Thais seem to think we all are.

I have a DL from home country. no IDP. In fact I lost the original ID, but made a police report and carry the photocopy and police report around to not get a ticket (it was recommended by the cop to do this). I think one of the guys on the scene (not in full uniform) asked at the last second before going into the ambulance for what I thought was the ID, and I couldn't find it in the seat where I keep it. I was told to hop into the ambulance; after going in the ambulance, I was never asked for it later at the hospital. And when we returned to the police station, never asked for it. The only information I was asked for was my name (I wrote it down) and age. My gf took care of most of the conversation on my behalf. The accident guy's brother also did a lot of talking; I'm guessing to smooth things out.

gf only provided her thai id and motorbike greenbook as we were closing out the case on monday.

OP. This might help you: http://www.sawee.chu...id=30&Itemid=44

Thanks. That's what I was looking for on a wall poster somewhere smile.png. I take it at the very top, the rank goes from right to left, and then each line after that it is from left to right. Would have been less confusing to have a line break after each rank insignia photo. it would have made the page longer, but less confusing. I'm sure an official photo everything would be correct smile.png

The guy who dealt with our case from the accident scene onwards was a Police sub-lieutenant according to the chart. A lot of Senior sergeant majors hanging around. Is there any distinction that makes one a detective vs street cop?

I did see a photo chart of some part of the chain of command near the front office. They were in their dress whites or summer whites; didn't know they had those.

Edited by 4evermaat

4evermaat, i had the same problem last year. Damage was estimated something around 11,000-12,000 Baht. When talking about money at the police station they offered half the money. I agreed because i wanted my bike back and finish this topic. Also they didn't look like rich people and i understand that 12.000 Baht can be a lot for some people here. But i had no real injuries, no doctor consulted from my side. So it was easier for me than for you. I wish you soon recovery and good luck for the future.

Edited by wantan
  • Like 1

Good hear that all is okay.

Some advise:

Get a K-Bank ATM card with accident insurance. Its only 400b for the first year, then I think 100b per year after, which they debit from your account automatically. In such an accident all hospitals will automatically accept if for treatment such as x-rays etc. and medication.

I was involved in an accident and was taken to Phra Ram Gao hospital - more like a hotel than a hospital, and they just took the details off the ATM card and everything was covered, including the ambulance pick-up, x-rays, treatment and medication. It wasn't serious and nothing was needed and the total bill was around 4000thb I think. But good to know such stuff will be automatically taken care of in a very good private hospital if something happens again.

Some advise:

Get a K-Bank ATM card with accident insurance. Its only 400b for the first year, then I think 100b per year after, which they debit from your account automatically. In such an accident all hospitals will automatically accept if for treatment such as x-rays etc. and medication.

I was involved in an accident and was taken to Phra Ram Gao hospital - more like a hotel than a hospital, and they just took the details off the ATM card and everything was covered, including the ambulance pick-up, x-rays, treatment and medication. It wasn't serious and nothing was needed and the total bill was around 4000thb I think. But good to know such stuff will be automatically taken care of in a very good private hospital if something happens again.

How much will it cover?

Some advise:

How much will it cover?

bangkok bank has the same.

But they are pretty strict on license and influence of alcohol.

They sometime ask an alcohol test to pay and smallest mistake on the documentation again they refuse to pay.

i think they cover like 100.000 thb per year or something and more for the amputed limps or family of the deceased.:)

Some advise:

How much will it cover?

K-Bank "K-Max Debit Card"

http://www.kasikornb.../KMaxDebit.aspx

covers 5,000bht per hospital visit + 20% discount on hospital fees.

500bht per year

BKB "Power of the Thai Be1st VISA debit card"

http://www.bangkokba...iBe1stCard.aspx

doesn't seem to cover hospital bills, unless death or permanent disability.

100bht plus 200bht per year.

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 1

Not sure about the amount but check it out.

It's something like 5000b immediate hospital bill, and I think there's 30,000b and 100,000b listed as well, presume they're for something like lost limbs and loss of life.

Really it's good for peace of mind if involved in a small accident. All you do is show your ATM card to the hospital staff at the time and that's it. You're good for ambulance, x-rays, treatment, and medication. You don't deal with anybody else such as insurance or bank people and it only takes two seconds.

It used to be called PA200 a few years ago and was 200thb, then it doubled in price and had some extras thrown in. We found it invaluable at the time as just after an accident you don't want to be worrying about being ripped off with hospital and ambulance bills. This takes care of everything, in very good private hospitals.

• Like 1

How much will it cover?

K-Bank "K-Max Debit Card"

http://www.kasikornb.../KMaxDebit.aspx

covers 5,000bht per hospital visit + 20% discount on hospital fees.

500bht per year

BKB "Power of the Thai Be1st VISA debit card"

http://www.bangkokba...iBe1stCard.aspx

doesn't seem to cover hospital bills, unless death or permanent disability.

100bht plus 200bht per year.

Seems like kbank may be worth a visit.

Not sure about the amount but check it out.

It's something like 5000b immediate hospital bill, and I think there's 30,000b and 100,000b listed as well, presume they're for something like lost limbs and loss of life.

Really it's good for peace of mind if involved in a small accident. All you do is show your ATM card to the hospital staff at the time and that's it. You're good for ambulance, x-rays, treatment, and medication. You don't deal with anybody else such as insurance or bank people and it only takes two seconds.

It used to be called PA200 a few years ago and was 200thb, then it doubled in price and had some extras thrown in. We found it invaluable at the time as just after an accident you don't want to be worrying about being ripped off with hospital and ambulance bills. This takes care of everything, in very good private hospitals.

Is there a list of hospitals, or pretty much any govt/private hospital certified by ministry of health qualifies? what if a follow-up visit was required for the same accident? Does there even need to be an accident (police report), or you could walk into a hospital and get care?

Its really not as bad as a few proclaim

While waiting to turn right at a traffic light, I was rear-ended by another motorcyclist, causing damage to my bike and theirs. The crowd surrounded us and demanded I pay for all damages. You don't argue with a Thai crowd. You don't call the police when the "kangaroo court" has decided to take swift justice into their own hands. I paid on the spot and was let go.

All is not rosy in the L.O.S. whistling.gif

Its really not as bad as a few proclaim

While waiting to turn right at a traffic light, I was rear-ended by another motorcyclist, causing damage to my bike and theirs. The crowd surrounded us and demanded I pay for all damages. You don't argue with a Thai crowd. You don't call the police when the "kangaroo court" has decided to take swift justice into their own hands. I paid on the spot and was let go.

All is not rosy in the L.O.S. whistling.gif

how much was it?

in my case, the police was called by someone. maybe some onlooker or the guy's mother. they lived at the intersection of the accident. very close to home for them.

"The second best time to plant a tree is today" sent from TV android app (Galaxy Cooper).

Edited by 4evermaat

Is there a list of hospitals, or pretty much any govt/private hospital certified by ministry of health qualifies? what if a follow-up visit was required for the same accident? Does there even need to be an accident (police report), or you could walk into a hospital and get care?

No idea. We were taken to Phra Ram Gao. It's a very good, expensive hospital that is like a European hotel. Everything was covered immediately. Not one baht came out of our pockets. All x-rays and check-ups were okay and the medicine only needed to be given then and there, so there was no follow ups.

I'm sure that if you get a Thai speaker to enquire with K-Bank they will be happy to answer all the questions.

i love this clause in the k-bank card = Loss of life, organ, eyesight, permanent disability from murder, or

physical attacks, or motorcycle riding.

so its official riding a motorcycle is like being murdered

No idea. We were taken to Phra Ram Gao. It's a very good, expensive hospital that is like a European hotel. Everything was covered immediately. Not one baht came out of our pockets. All x-rays and check-ups were okay and the medicine only needed to be given then and there, so there was no follow ups.

I'm sure that if you get a Thai speaker to enquire with K-Bank they will be happy to answer all the questions.

i love this clause in the k-bank card = Loss of life, organ, eyesight, permanent disability from murder, or

physical attacks, or motorcycle riding.

so its official riding a motorcycle is like being murdered

Good to hear a positive LOS "accident" story. Also thanks for the heads up on the K-Max Debit Card smile.png

It turns out that the estimate was overstated. It was 'only' 9000 baht, in which I paid 5000, and the other guy paid 4000. Looks practically like a brand new bike, except they didn't wash it or wipe it down until i insisted (the brand new mirrors were smeared with fingerprints and oil, etc).

Headed to Kasikorn bank and got the KMax card, which with 550 baht per year gets you the accident coverage. According to gf, you get unlimited accidents, but 5,000 max payout per accident, 30,000 baht payout to beneficiary if you are killed. 200,000 if die of natural causes. They also take 10 times the amount of money in my kbank account at the time and pay it to beneficiary. I specificially asked about the limit or how many accidents you are allowed. She said you could have 10 in one day if you wanted, but can only die once.

The insurance by itself is 2500 baht without debit card (purchased separately). Obviously it is more economical to get policy with debit card. Turns out the gf already has a k-max card already. Apparently she didn't remember paying the 500 baht when opening the account.

Edited by 4evermaat
  • Like 1

Only in the sense that you're not going to extorted for hospital and ambulance and then threatened with imprisonment at a time when you'll least need it. biggrin.png

The hospitals are all set up for, and well experienced in it. The average spill n scratch isn't likely to cost more than 5000thb, and if it does than you use your real insurance.

Ambulance and then x-rays, care and medication all taken care of immediately at an expensive and western styled hospital for 500 baht a year is a good deal in my book. Especially as seeing that the ATM without this package is 200-300 baht anyway. biggrin.png

Edited by EmptyBasementBin

^

"The average spill n scratch" isn't what i am worried about. I am not really afraid of injuries that can get cured with 5,000 Baht :)

But i understand. Its good to have a card to get to the hospital and have a first aid there. For this such card is sure a good thing. But you definetly need a better insurance than that additianaly.

Out of interest, I know some first class motorbike insurances cover medical to a certain degree, and presumably much higher than the K-Bank card.

Sumet do a great deal for CBR250R, first class insurance at 6000thb p/a.

I personally don't know what medical costs it covers, but you may be interested in something like that if you don't have a main insurance policy.

Bupa do a good one at about 1000thb per month, and I'm sure there's lots and lots and lots of other options.

Edited by EmptyBasementBin

Had a car fender bender where idiot old katoey [bad picture to be sure] bicycles directly onto my hood [bonnet for the UKers] while riding wrong way on the road. And then there was an All My Fault bike <deleted>-up back in KL. In both cases, all bystanders were considerate and helpful. No money grab or gang action at all. I did pay the katoey's fairly minor med bills just out of kindness, after considering her station in life... poor as dirt, and in need of real medical attention. Sometimes the calculus in these situations is non-linear, but prejudice and lack of compassion will always isolate you from those around you.

• Like 2