Will Linux Finally Become The Alternative Desktop Operating System?

Richard-BKK

It seems we moving into an interesting time for Linux, with MS Windows 8 being much more difficult to use it illegal, and Valve Software is making its game titles available for Linux, and not only Valve's game titles, Valve will also release its Steam game as a native client.

But Valve Software is not alone, EA Game (Electronic Arts) is currently working together with Ubuntu (a popular Linux distribution) to port its popular games to Linux.

And we can expect much more gaming on Linux pretty soon, as the guys behind the Linux kernel and the guys who develop the Android kernel have settled there differences and from Linux kernel 3.30 both the Linux and Android kernel will be the same. Which means that every little Android game developer can venture into the Linux market without much reprogramming...

Is it only games? Nope the rumor is that many software houses start to see Linux as a serious platform. With exception of Nero Software (famous from its burning software) who canceled its Linux support lately (but Nero 4.0 for Linux was far behind what the opensource community was offering for free...)

Why is this happening now? According to some, MS Windows 8 will change so much that it's expected that not everybody will feel comfortable using Win8. And of course not everybody is willing to pay 5,000 THB for the most basic version (which is really basic, even little utilities need to be installed from an online software catalog which probably will cost more money).

So I guess that game developers are not waiting around for Microsoft to shutdown the platform that makes money for them. To say it simple, kids who play games on computers use often illegal MS Windows versions... While they still pay for legal games (probably because most cracked games cannot play online or have other features that will not work)...

So will Linux finally become the real alternative desktop operating system?

Edited by Richard-BKK

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good point. I can definately see Microsoft going downhill. They're just asking so much money for windows. I know I won't pay it for the next "upgrade". I still (and know alot of people) that are still running XP.

Linux I don't know about how successful it will be. I have tried. I don't get it. Seems kind of complicated with typing in commands and all. If anything I would switch over the Apple OS over linux. I'm happy that Apple finally got some sense into them and actually started selling their OS separately.

When you use a modern distribution you hardly need to type anything at a command line. Currently I use Fedora 17 which is a bit more in need of command line commands, but the latest Ubuntu is able to run forever without the need to enter any command on the keyboard...

There is many ways to use computers and Linux. I think that using command line is added bonus for people who are familiar with it. I would hate if I had to do everything with mouse :)

If it's much more difficult to cracked version of Windows 8, that will make the big difference. 'Customers' in Asia are not so familiar with paying for the OS. Some use Apple products, but as those are expensive, not all.

This will give Linux (most likely Ubuntu) a good opportunity to grow the amount of users, which will bring more applications to the platform.

The biggest problem with Linux is support and stability. There are so many flavors of Linux that software developers have a hard time producing stable products to works across all of them. And then there's support. There isn't any. Sure, there are forums and gaggles of geeks to answer your questions and come up with fixes but it's not real support.

Corporate offices need stability, network security and support. Until Linux (or Apple for that matter) come to the table with something that is cheaper and works as well as Windows in a corporate environment (bearing in mind the need for security) with full support, Windows will remain a major player in the market. And yeah... Windows 8 sucks and I won't buy it either. Just like I never bought Windows Vista or WIndows ME. Seems like every other release of the OS is crap. Windows 7 is good, secure and stable and came with my laptop. My real laptop...not a Thai knock-off with a hacked copy.

I think Google could very well take over the market though. They already have the Android OS which has been highly successful on mobile devices. They could produce a 'desktop' edition and provide legit support. It would be a big ship to turn though.

• Like 1

The biggest problem with Linux is support and stability. There are so many flavors of Linux that software developers have a hard time producing stable products to works across all of them. And then there's support. There isn't any. Sure, there are forums and gaggles of geeks to answer your questions and come up with fixes but it's not real support.

Corporate offices need stability, network security and support. Until Linux (or Apple for that matter) come to the table with something that is cheaper and works as well as Windows in a corporate environment (bearing in mind the need for security) with full support, Windows will remain a major player in the market. And yeah... Windows 8 sucks and I won't buy it either. Just like I never bought Windows Vista or WIndows ME. Seems like every other release of the OS is crap. Windows 7 is good, secure and stable and came with my laptop. My real laptop...not a Thai knock-off with a hacked copy.

I think Google could very well take over the market though. They already have the Android OS which has been highly successful on mobile devices. They could produce a 'desktop' edition and provide legit support. It would be a big ship to turn though.

Actually not so much flavors of Linux available, MS Windows has much more flavors. To understand Linux you first have to ask the question what is Linux. Linux is the kernel, and around this kernel you can build a different look, feel and behavior.

What is the difference between Ubuntu, Fedora and any other linux distribution? Nothing is different, the distribution is only composed with different packages. And in some cases a different release of the kernel.

The major two windows managers for Linux, Gnome and KDE signed an agreement a year or two ago to make all packages compatible to both windows managers. 80% of the other much smaller windows managers also follow this standard. Which means if I want to run a program that was designed to run with KDE it will run without problems with the use of the Gnome windows manager (okay some run libraries are needed).

Microsoft before Windows 8, used for every version of MS Windows a different kernel for all its Windows flavors. With Windows 8 Microsoft is also moving to the one kernel idea... actual lots of things in MS Windows have found its origin in the opensource arena...

Talking about security in a corporate environment, please again... Linux is basically created on security. It's true that Linux is probably not the best replacement for a company that has worked for years with MS Windows. But if a company is willing to start from zero, Linux can be a very good alternative.

I can remember when we where still using MS Windows, the IT guy almost daily had his handful with removing illegal software, removing viruses, and try to figure out how to keep people from installing simple games... With Linux people can have full access to there CD-rom and USB without a administrator to have to worry about a virus or the user installing any illegal software...

And a Android desktop edition is here, it is called LINUX... they use the same kernel. In Linux terms the kernel is the OS, everything else is just a program running..

Edited by Richard-BKK
  • Like 2

Actually not so much flavors of Linux available, MS Windows has much more flavors. To understand Linux you first have to ask the question what is Linux. Linux is the kernel, and around this kernel you can build a different look, feel and behavior.

What is the difference between Ubuntu, Fedora and any other linux distribution? Nothing is different, the distribution is only composed with different packages. And in some cases a different release of the kernel.

The major two windows managers for Linux, Gnome and KDE signed an agreement a year or two ago to make all packages compatible to both windows managers. 80% of the other much smaller windows managers also follow this standard. Which means if I want to run a program that was designed to run with KDE it will run without problems with the use of the Gnome windows manager (okay some run libraries are needed).

Microsoft before Windows 8, used for every version of MS Windows a different kernel for all its Windows flavors. With Windows 8 Microsoft is also moving to the one kernel idea... actual lots of things in MS Windows have found its origin in the opensource arena...

Talking about security in a corporate environment, please again... Linux is basically created on security. It's true that Linux is probably not the best replacement for a company that has worked for years with MS Windows. But if a company is willing to start from zero, Linux can be a very good alternative.

I can remember when we where still using MS Windows, the IT guy almost daily had his handful with removing illegal software, removing viruses, and try to figure out how to keep people from installing simple games... With Linux people can have full access to there CD-rom and USB without a administrator to have to worry about a virus or the user installing any illegal software...

And a Android desktop edition is here, it is called LINUX... they use the same kernel. In Linux terms the kernel is the OS, everything else is just a program running..

The problem i think is that windows is the standard OS in most PC and that is what the public buy when they buy a PC and in most cases they dont understand how it all works as long as it works for them ,just like the car engine .

Now if the average microsoft user read your response as good as is to the OP right or wrong they would'nt go anywhere near Linux even the terminolgy would put them of because they would not have a clue EG All the distro'.s Kernel , Command etc these days everyone wants plug and play.

I have been exposed to microsoft and linux platforms (for my IT related business) and at the same time have seen what apple can do (for media related work, and slowly providing the platform for other things as well).

Internally the x-os is a lot (perhaps almost the same) as the linux kernel. But in comparision, i-os is a lot more productive than linux majorly due to its app support and app availability. This is a point which i find separates the open-source guys from the branded solution sellers.

The way microsoft has decided on distribution of its licensing products, i have already seen a lof of corporate users using mac's (surely as a replacement of microsoft).

As an example, walk into BnH hospital on sathorn road, and you will see every desk running a mac !

I'll go to Linux when I can get on a support website and not be treated as an idiot because I don't know how to root the main flubus after simply coring the nebulus (you idiot, you).

Don't take it personally. But many *nix users don't know what manpages are, nether did they bother to EVER look into the documentation. So there is an overwhelming amount of questions, you can solve be a little but of reading or use the search engine of your choice.

• Like 1

We deal with Red Hat, Microsoft and Apple in a corporate environment.

Apple are just useless. A bigger bunch of sarcastic wanke_rs you will never encounter.

MS ok, but always want to sell you stuff.

Red Hat fine, if distant..

Some quick numbers for our windows enthusiast here.

Market-share for unix and unix like systems:

Desktops 13.7 %

Net/Notebooks 32 %

Tablets 39 % ( win got 1,5 % there)

Smartphones 52,5%

Servers > 60 %

Mainframes . 50%

Supercomputers 91,4 %

So let's say window will be a major player as long as there are desktop computers.biggrin.png

Desktops 13.7 %

Net/Notebooks 32 %

Smartphones 52,5%

Servers > 60 %

Mainframes . 50%

Supercomputers 91,4 %

So let's say window will be a major player as long as there are desktop computers.biggrin.png

This is interesting. What is the source? Link please :)

Adding to this, most of people are using linux on their homes and offices as many consumer grade routers, NAS boxes etc are running on linux. I suppose also many TV- satellite boxes and soon TV's are running also on linux.

Would be nice to know estimates how large proportion of all computer (including smarphones and routers) are using linux.

Just to add a few more things to this topic.

A very interesting list from wikipedia of organizations and individuals who have switched to Linux from other operating systems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_adopters

What I also find very interesting is that a country such as Turkey has developed its own linux distro for its own use.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pardus_linux

I have read that because it received such good reveiws from the linux community, they decided to release it to the world in a variety of languages. Anyone can use it for free.

IMHO, this is going to be the future of the corporate IT environment. Individual PCs are still going to be using Windows only because that is what the computer came with. I'm hoping one day I can just go out to buy a PC and have the OS of my choice installed for me while I wait. If I want Windows, I can just pay the extra cost.

• Like 1

IMHO, this is going to be the future of the corporate IT environment. Individual PCs are still going to be using Windows only because that is what the computer came with. I'm hoping one day I can just go out to buy a PC and have the OS of my choice installed for me while I wait. If I want Windows, I can just pay the extra cost.

In Thailand you can do this. Lot's of computers comes without any pre installed OS.

When I'm shopping for a new laptop, I skip all the ones which comes with Windows as I do not wish to pay extra for the Microsoft.

Linux isn't much behind Windows. If Microsoft screw up with Win8 AND some professional software products will be available than Linux could get strong.

If Ubuntu would release only 1 new version per year, but make it working without hassle than they have a real chance on the desktop.

Desktops 13.7 %

Net/Notebooks 32 %

Smartphones 52,5%

Servers > 60 %

Mainframes . 50%

Supercomputers 91,4 %

Desktop and Net/Notebooks is inflated, because of the computer sold with Linux, so they are a bit cheaper and you can install your Panthip copy of Windows.

I would think that China will be quite important getting Linux more popularity. This is part of information protection.

If I recall correctly at least one of the viruses which hit to the Iranian nuclear plant was using Microsoft certificate. Not sure if that was given by Microsoft or do in other ways. True or not true, it will make governments to think security of the OS. China and other major global players have to take these in to account when they are protecting their infrastructure in case of possible cyber war.

Then there are news like this, which will also have an effect to anyone who is planing country's or company's security.

http://www.zdnet.com/big-brother-microsoft-listens-in-to-your-skype-ims-7000001495/

If Ubuntu would release only 1 new version per year, but make it working without hassle than they have a real chance on the desktop.

I agree fully! I hate the current too fast cycle of releases. I wait for 1-2 months before installing new release due all kind of bugs. I'm currently using 12.04 and plan to stick with it a bit longer.

Linux has always been the alternative OS. The question is will mainstream users be comfortable using Linux? No, at least not yet. Linux had its chance when it was distributed commercially with the alternative-OS netbooks just a couple years back. I don't know any normal-user who bought an Ubuntu/Linux version. Most people don't even know that versions of Linux/Unix power a lot of everyday devices. They don't care. The Windows GUI is comfortable, used everywhere, and is supported by almost all developers. Microsoft won't be disappearing anytime soon. All Windows releases have always been between $100-200. Even if we don't buy the upgrade, they'll just distribute it with new PCs and dominate by sheer volume, forcing developers to support the most-common OS, Windows 8.

Linux has a name for being geeky and difficult, but that is now not the case especially with releases like Ubuntu and Mint.

A few years ago, I had Ubuntu installed on my home computer. After a few months working abroad, I came home to discover my 15 year old Thai daughter (who refuses to read or write English) had figured out how to start it, get through my basic password, customised the desktop and was quite happy playing on the Internet with it.

Apart from complaining that the junk programs she had downloaded from Windows sites did not work she was happy and did not know the difference.

A non techie PC user friend has seen my Ubuntu and asked me to install it for them today.

I will report back on their experience

Edited by thaimite

I agree fully! I hate the current too fast cycle of releases. I wait for 1-2 months before installing new release due all kind of bugs. I'm currently using 12.04 and plan to stick with it a bit longer.

Same here. Upgrading 1-2 months after the date of release is the way to go to get a truly hassle-free linux desktop experience.

This is interesting. What is the source? Link please smile.png

Adding to this, most of people are using linux on their homes and offices as many consumer grade routers, NAS boxes etc are running on linux. I suppose also many TV- satellite boxes and soon TV's are running also on linux.

Would be nice to know estimates how large proportion of all computer (including smarphones and routers) are using linux.

I think linunx (embedded) is standard. The latest samsung tv's will get tegra processors running a customised android. Even the current one are nice to play around with. Samsung has the usual crappy boot loader protection but besides that, there is no problem to attach keyboards, mice and your own custom brew of droid.

Sources: http://en.wikipedia....erating_systems, http://www.statowl.c...arket_share.php, http://news.netcraft.com/

Edited by JakeBKK

Same here. Upgrading 1-2 months after the date of release is the way to go to get a truly hassle-free linux desktop experience.

On my last try, 2 month after installation an update killed my sound. Google helped, there was a way per command line to enable it again. But every time the computer was turned off and on again the sound was gone again....

Sure there is also a fix for that......

Many things of the system were better than Windows. But the last installation was even fatter than WinXP and a 100 small things that make work worse. Problems with the fonts in Firefox, Even there were printer driver it was never working as good as on windows. The office software was way behind, no replacement for Photoshop. No games.

Means the OS might be as good if they would make one solid good distribution instead of 100 half finished one.

The additional software is a big problem....not the fault of Linux but still a deal braker in countries like Thailand were Linux and Windows 7 costs the same.

The additional software is a big problem....not the fault of Linux but still a deal braker in countries like Thailand were Linux and Windows 7 costs the same.

Well, Linux IS FREE. Windows 7 is not, even in Thailand. Either you end up paying for it, or settle for a pirated copy which is a security nightmare. So how can you end up saying that the cost is the same?

And yes, Linux has some fine software, if you only would take the effort to find out. Open Office is a very good alternative to M$ Office, and you can use GIMP for photo editing. I guess you did not even bother to read the topic of this thread to see that there are plenty of games for Linux, and now Valve is bringing the Steam platform to Linux as well.

Edited by koo

Well, Linux IS FREE. Windows 7 is not, even...

Don't bother arguing, it's a waste of time.

In early times I've been into arguments and discussions about getting people to switch, but no more.

It is much more rewarding to spend energy on the curious ones coming with an open mind and interest for the platform.

Catch them early, teach the basics and nudge them in the right direction when they get stuck.

• Like 1