Baggage-Allowances Over 20 Kgs

Ricardo

EVA Air only allow 20kg these days, (used to be 23kg) although when I flew with them recently at Bangkok they let us on with 52 kg's between us and never said anything, but at London they wanted another 135GBP for the excess.

After giving the check-in girl my "little boy lost" look she relented as she said she was not feeling to well and could not be bothered with the hassle...lucky me!!

Maybe won't be so lucky next time, just a word of warning

• 2 weeks later...

When I returned with Emirates, out of Heathrow in mid august, for the first time ever I had my hand luggage weighed. I have never seen this happen before, was I just unlucky?

Emirates weighed my hand luggage the other day out of LHR.

Total weight was 42+kg smile.png and not a word was said.

You can't beat Emirates for luggage. The food and service were good also, and the planes were new, and the schedule convenient, and I only paid GBP545 for a 1-year return. So all in all it's a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned.

What do you think about hand baggage of Air Berlin? I mean, I have to decide to order a One Way Ticket, and I have seen that it's the cheapest with difference between other companies for flying from Barcelona. The problem are the 6kg allowed in hand baggage. Does Air Berlin control at all in the airport the hand baggage? Because 6 Kg would be few.

• 3 weeks later...

Etihad allows 30kgs now in economy and 40 in biz, just received a mail from Etihad confirming this.

FF silver +10kgs, gold +15kgs

Edit: baggage info on their website is updated

https://www.etihadairways.com/sites/Etihad/global/en/planatrip/baggage/Pages/allowances-and-charges-other.aspx

Edited by tartempion

Etihad allows 30kgs now in economy and 40 in biz, just received a mail from Etihad confirming this.

FF silver +10kgs, gold +15kgs

Edit: baggage info on their website is updated

https://www.etihadai...rges-other.aspx

I finally get my flight with Etihad and I confirm too, the 30Kgs economy fare, and If I get the same flight with Air Berlin allows me only 23Kg. So I found it more cheaper in Etihad and also allows me 7kg extra. Etihad hand baggage allows 7 kg, Air Berlin 6kg.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Flew beginning June HKT - BKK - HAM by Emirates, 2 adults, one child. Emirates allowed 30 kg/person, i.e. 90 kg. Flight HKT - BKK by Bangkok Airways (PG). Enquired several times (!) about luggage allowance with Bangkok Airways, was told 20 kg free and THB 700 for 10 kg extra, i.e. for 3 person THB 2100. Checked in at Phuket Airport, ended up with about 110 kg (!). Had the money on the counter but the check-in officer said "no problem". Checked luggage through to Hamburg without any extra payment.

By the way, amongst the 3 of us we had another about 40 kg of hand luggage. No problem!

Yes also BTW, hope you didn't inconvenience or injure any fellow passengers with your excess...............Does happen often!

whistling.gif It's nice to know that you can get more than 20 Killos sometimes. Personally I have only traveled with more than 20 kilos of my personal baggage maybe half a dozen times in 40 plus years of traveling around the world, but maybe that's just me.

But just for the record ,,,, IATA regulations REQUIRE that all international flights have enough fuel on-board to have at least 30 minutes flying time left on arrival at their destination airport.

The reason for that is possible delays in landing requiring that aircraft to circle the airport before being allowed to land.

IATA is VERY serious about this requirement and airlines who violate this requirement can and will be heavily fined,

As proof, take the case of that New York to London British Airways flight whose pilot decided not to stop in Dublin and landed at Heathrow with less than 30 minutes fuel left,

He was nearly fired, and BA paid a large fine for not forcing that pilot to stop in Dublin to take on fuel.

That's why there are baggage limits on long haul flights, they don't just do it to spite their passengers, or to increase rhe sales at the duty free stores on arrival at the airports.

That's also why you have long haul flights with intermediate stops and why the most fuel efficent planes are what airlines want to buy for their long haul routes.

The rule of thumb is: Passengers pay fares, their baggage doesn't, There's no profit in carrying passengers bags.

whistling.gif

I don't think an extra 5/10kgs of hand-luggage makes much difference, to the fuel burned by a 400-ton aircraft, which is also required to carry sufficient reserves to reach the nearest acceptable diversionary-airport, as well as 'time-circling-over-target'. Other factors in calculating fuel-requirements might include higher-than-expected headwinds, or flying at less-than-optimal altitude due to traffic-congestion, sub-optimal routing, taxiing-delays or queues to take-off, all sorts of things.

I myself usually carry excess from London-to-Bangkok, a shorter flight (due to tailwinds), but am under-weight from Bangkok-to-London, so overall it balances-out in the airlines' favour, and IMO is not therefore unfair to them. I do realise that some fellow-passengers might object, which is why I try to take a couple of smaller bags onboard, rather than one bigger/heavier one. It's more-easily carried & stowed-away.

I can recall, in my African-business-travel days, sitting next to a basket-of-live-chickens once, and that was in First-Class ! tongue.png

• 2 weeks later...

Hi hope to get some help here !

we flying back to sweden on thursday with Air China from Bangkok,and i read on different sites on the web and some says its 20 kilo with 7 carry on

and another site says 23kilo checked and 5 kilo carry on ?

both sites seems to be air china websites,but maybe some site are old or not updated

so someone who really know if its 20 or 23 kilo for economy we flying Bangkok-Beijing-Stockholm

Ty !

Flying with Malaysia Airlines BKK-KUL-LHR. It says on the website, in addition to my free baggage allowance i can take scuba equipment of up to 10kg for free. Do i need to mention this somewhere before check in or is it ok to do it at the desk on the day? Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think an extra 5/10kgs of hand-luggage makes much difference

It might make a bit of a difference if that extra 5/10kgs falls out of the overhead during heavy turbulence or emergency procedure.

Hand luggage restrictions are imposed for safety reasons.

The clear winner at the moment is ANA if you are flying on an ANA flight not a code share flight.

The allowance is 2 pieces of up to 23kg each in economy so 46kg.

SWMBO and I have just sent about 90kg (4 bags) of check-in baggage to the airport and will pick it up in BKK when we get there next Tuesday

Business class is 64kg (2 bags)

First class is 96kg (3 bags)

http://www.ana.co.jp/wws/japan/e/asw_common/guide/baggage.html

• Like 1

Last year I flew LHR-BKK, I had weighed my luggage at home before I set off ( not realizing that one of the wheels of my case must have been resting on the floor! When I got the Emirates check in desk, I was expecting 26kg only ot see 34 come up! The lady at the desk asked me to take 4kg out of the case and take it on as hand luggage, she gave me an Emirates bag to help out! Hand luggage is supposed to be 7kg, it was not weighed, I have not seen any hand luggage weighed has anyone else?

it depends on several factors. One is your & your partners nationality, another the the airport you are flying from, another is the airline you are flying.

At BKK if I fly Thai I've never been checked but flying United I have sometimes. Also I've been checked a couple of times out of LHR.

• 1 month later...

British Airways' website says full-fare Economy (code Y) gets two bags, of up-to 23 kgs each, subject to certain size-limits, and with several destinations not included, but Thailand it's OK.

However cheaper economy-tickets only get one bag, up to 23 kgs.

Hand-baggage is one handbag/laptop, plus one bag (usual dimensions apply) which can be up-to 23 kgs, but you must be able to lift it into the overhead-locker yourself unaided.

Edited by Ricardo
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Air Asia loves to screw you on baggage - in fact, I'm convinced that they intentionally structure their policies to do so. I ended up paying double the price of my ticket due to baggage weight overages. OK, admittedly it was 14kg's over the weight I booked online - paying more for that additional weight than I did for my flight from BKK to Bali seems really excessive, though.

That was my little Air Asia 'bit@h' session. International flights on many airlines offer very liberal weight allowances. Economy airlines offer a great service, just not if you're lugging a bunch of crap with you :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Air Asia, Jet Airways do not have a free baggage allowance. They increased their standard-allowance

I am flying back with Jet, my allowance for the hold is 30kg. Cabin is 7kg.

Does anyone know the answer to this question.

Cabin baggage allowance is 7kg plus you allowed to take a laptop, which would, if I put it in the cabin baggage probably put the bag up to 10.5 kg, do they allow that or do you have to have the laptop in a seperate bag so that the cabin baggage remains at 7kg.?

Anyone know the answer or do I have to ring JET for the answer?

• Like 1

Air Asia, Jet Airways do not have a free baggage allowance. They increased their standard-allowance

Cabin baggage allowance is 7kg plus you allowed to take a laptop, which would, if I put it in the cabin baggage probably put the bag up to 10.5 kg, do they allow that or do you have to have the laptop in a seperate bag so that the cabin baggage remains at 7kg.?

The laptop will need to go through Indian-security screening separately from your carry-on bag(s).

When I did BKK-BOM-LHR-DEL-BKK last month, plenty of people in Economy had a second-bag, a few ladies had two plus a handbag, so IME an extra laptop-bag should not be a problem.

Their website also confirms that a laptop (plus overcoat, walking-stick,camera, reading-matter, etc.) may be carried as extra to the normal 7 kgs carry-on bag. Sorry my browser won't let me copy/paste the relevant-section, but it's right at the very bottom, of the page on carry-on luggage.

So no-problem, I believe.

• Like 1

I have never had them weigh my carry ons ever

Last year I flew back with Emirates and they weighed mine, although on a previous visit to the airport to check if they did they were not so I think its something they have started from summer last year.

Will report if JET have joined in or dont bother.

The laptop will need to go through Indian-security screening separately from your carry-on bag(s).

When I did BKK-BOM-LHR-DEL-BKK last month, plenty of people in Economy had a second-bag, a few ladies had two plus a handbag, so IME an extra laptop-bag should not be a problem.

Their website also confirms that a laptop (plus overcoat, walking-stick,camera, reading-matter, etc.) may be carried as extra to the normal 7 kgs carry-on bag. Sorry my browser won't let me copy/paste the relevant-section, but it's right at the very bottom, of the page on carry-on luggage.

So no-problem, I believe.

I will go with your view, that is indeed what it says on the rules and regs.

I arrived at LHR flying with JET to BKK with a large case 28kg, hand luggage about 9-10kg ( not weighed), laptop in bag and largeish gents bag ( like Indianna Jones) with all my paperwork in, glasses,lipstick but no wlaking stick or whip). There were no problems checking in. Plane out was a Boeing 777-300ER. At BOM we changed to a Boeing 737-800, when I arrived at the foot of the stairs to board my hand luggage was taken to the hold, maybe the stowage on this plane is restricted in the cabin, I was not alone in this move and it did turn up first on the carousel at BKK.

• Like 1