Baggage-Allowances Over 20 Kgs

Ricardo

I arrived in Bangkok from the UK with my case weight 20 Kilos, I then wanted a single flight to Phitsanulok max weight for luggage 15 kilos. Welcome back to LOS land of stupidity.

I like your posts, possum, but my wife and I always purchase additional weight with the ticket on Nok Air to PHS. Otherwise, we'd always be overweight.

I hope this helps.

http://www.nokair.com/contents/journey_plan/baggage_info/en-US/

Luck of the draw.

I travelled to KL ex BKK with Thai friend last year in economy. Id been looking gor a new dining table for my KL flat, found one in Pattaya-trouble was it weighed 110kg when packed (heavy glass top)

All credit to teerak - the darling charmed the arse of the check in desk and zero excess with total of 135 kg between us.

They even gave us a porter to help move it to the oversize luggage drop.

Fitting the bugger thing into a cab in KL was a whole different game. Far too big.

Someone at the airport knew someone who knew someone who had a flat bed three axel scaffold truck. I travelled in the open back with a bottle of Hennessy gor company

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I arrived in Bangkok from the UK with my case weight 20 Kilos, I then wanted a single flight to Phitsanulok max weight for luggage 15 kilos. Welcome back to LOS land of stupidity.

I like your posts, possum, but my wife and I always purchase additional weight with the ticket on Nok Air to PHS. Otherwise, we'd always be overweight.

I hope this helps.

NOK Air now have a fan club. Joining it brings your baggage allowance up to 20kg plus other frequent flyer style priviledges.

You can join at the check-in counter and it costs about 200 Baht. You get your membership card there and then and can use it to claim the extra allowance straight away.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I hope this helps.

I understand the Nok Air situation, but I'm wondering what the situation will be when my wife and I return to Greece = the ticket I bought was from the island where we live - Olympic (15 Kg allowance) to Athens then Qatar (30 Kg allowance) to BKK. However, Olympic and Qatar are part of an alliance, so I checked my bags in at my airport of departure and didn't see them again until I arrived in BKK. Now on the outbound, we were anyway not carrying much, so weight didn't come into it, but on the way home, we will be nudging the 30 Kg mark. If the bags were going direct to our final destination, I would imagine there wouldn't be an issue with the weight. However, I suspect that because the Olympic flight is domestic, on the return leg we will have to take our bags through customs in Athens (international arrivals) and then check them in again for the last leg. So the question is, will the alliance between Qatar and Olympic (given that the ticket was bought and paid for as a single trip) stretch to Olympic giving us the Qatar luggage allowance?

Has anyone has a similar situation?

• 3 weeks later...

Just a heads-up :-

Air India may be changing some of their hold-luggage allowances, their latest website-update shows BKK-India-London as allowing 30 kgs until 31st March 2014 only.

But doesn't say what it will change to thereafter.

http://www.airindia.com/checked-baggage-allowances.htm#fesea

Edited by Ricardo

• 1 month later...

I don't think an extra 5/10kgs of hand-luggage makes much difference

It might make a bit of a difference if that extra 5/10kgs falls out of the overhead during heavy turbulence or emergency procedure.

Hand luggage restrictions are imposed for safety reasons.

The airlines give out that BS and then allow heavier hand luggage in Biz and First.

• 3 weeks later...

I went to Japan with Thai Airways last year and was told at Check in that the Baggage allowance had been increased for that route, on the return flight I was also told the same thing in Narita, yet I see nothing on the website that confirms this.

Anybody Know ?

I went to Japan with Thai Airways last year and was told at Check in that the Baggage allowance had been increased for that route, on the return flight I was also told the same thing in Narita, yet I see nothing on the website that confirms this.

Anybody Know ?

Just got an email from Thai.

It's 20Kgs only.

• 1 month later...

Recently returned from the UK with British Airways, hold baggage is 23kg. The cabin luggage is by measurement not weight, so long as your bag conforms to the prescribed dimensions and you can lift it in if you get the picture. My bag was not measured or weighed and I did not see a weight come up an my hold case which I reckon was 22.2kg.

Last year I flew LHR-BKK, I had weighed my luggage at home before I set off ( not realizing that one of the wheels of my case must have been resting on the floor! When I got the Emirates check in desk, I was expecting 26kg only ot see 34 come up! The lady at the desk asked me to take 4kg out of the case and take it on as hand luggage, she gave me an Emirates bag to help out! Hand luggage is supposed to be 7kg, it was not weighed, I have not seen any hand luggage weighed has anyone else? The reason I ask is that my hand luggage case weighs 3kg and my laptop with adaptor weighs 3.5 kg! Loads of space left but 7 kg is a very low figure.

30 kg is pretty good but soon reached and then there is the problem of getting to the airport avoiding stairs and other hazards!

This is a thread worth pinning so I am glad its going to happen.

Well done.

I have had my hand luggage at Auckland checked a few times--but not by the airline ?? there is a set of scales just before the immigration line entrance - and appears to be managed by airport staff--don't know how that works ?? or what happens / who to pay if I was over the 7kg--?? anyone else encountered this ??

Seems to be a random selection to be "weighed in "---I will ask next time I go through in July--whether I am "selected" or not--just for my own curiosity xhuh.png.pagespeed.ic.6VcCaNwNXg.png

Just a heads-up :-

Air India may be changing some of their hold-luggage allowances, their latest website-update shows BKK-India-London as allowing 30 kgs until 31st March 2014 only.

But doesn't say what it will change to thereafter.

http://www.airindia.com/checked-baggage-allowances.htm#fesea

30 kgs hold-luggage allowance remains the same , now until 31st March 2015.

http://www.airindia.com/checked-baggage-allowances.htm#eur

Klm 23kg poverty and an extra 23 if you are silver level and above

32 kg x2 for business and an extra 32kg if silver level and above plus hand luggage 18kg and a 2nd hand luggage 18kg if silver and above plus accessory. I've not seen better.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Air Asia do not have a free baggage allowance. You can purchase baggage allowance from 15kg up to 40kg. The price charged depends on departure port and arrival port. This link lets you check if you are planning to fly. http://www.airasia.com/cn/en/flightinfo/feeschedule.page

If you print a boarding pass in advance, and avoid the check in counters, you can get away with a carry on up to 22". Mine sometimes weighs 20 kilos. Many times I do not check in a bag at all. If you go up to the counter, they ask to weight it, and will nick you if over 7 kilos. If you avoid the counter, it is on them. Nok Air allows up to 15 kilos or so, included in the cost of the ticket. So, I always choose Nok, if the pricing is comparable. Both are decent airlines. But, Air Asia will really nickel and dime you. And if you do not pay for your bags in advance, the bag fee can be the same as what you paid for the ticket!

• 2 weeks later...

Is Thai Airways really strict about the 20kg policy? (from Germany)

Most of the time when I flew inside Europe companies did not charge me for a few kg extras, is it the same with them?

Yep Thai are tight even your hand luggage is weighed and a proxy 30kg for business

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• 3 weeks later...

Some airlines also offer extra kg's if you check in online but not many of those. The safest route would be simply to call or email then and see what the reply is. Some offer bonuses for being a faithful passenger (hehe) and some have special special Traveling Clubs you can join for discounts and extra kg's. As about Thai Airways - yup they are VERY strict!

I fly AirAsia with 7kg flight series back pack, 3kg little pack and a flying vest at 15kg,

as is stated in the rule book "Outer garments are not considered personal items".

allways self checkin "but should i ever get pulled up" the backpack is size and weight

allowable. All carry on.

• 3 weeks later...

I am due to travel with Eva from LHTR to BKK...i know Eva allow 20kg but i have 22kg....Also I know the hand luggage is 7kg and i have 7.5kg....does anyone have recent experience with Eva ?

Also they say on their website that you can have a bag and a laptop bag totaling 7 kg...Would they check the weight before boarding because

surely everyone buys stuff and are carrying much more than 7kg ??

I am due to travel with Eva from LHTR to BKK...i know Eva allow 20kg but i have 22kg....Also I know the hand luggage is 7kg and i have 7.5kg....does anyone have recent experience with Eva ?

Also they say on their website that you can have a bag and a laptop bag totaling 7 kg...Would they check the weight before boarding because

surely everyone buys stuff and are carrying much more than 7kg ??

I would expect you to be fine, on those weights quoted, unless the check-in ladies are having an extremely-bad day !

A friend recently flew BKK-TPE & TPE-YVR on EVA, with a 6 kg computer-bag & 10 kg rucksack, no problems.

Have a Good Flight ! smile.png

I did a search for Nok air baggage but the one that came up was archived.So I apologize if this has been already answered

I purchased extra kilo's 15 to be exact so now with the free 15k ,I'll have a total of 30 .I have 2 suit cases that will be checked and one carry on.

My question, is the total weight per passenger or is it per suitcase ? I'm hoping the combine weight is for the two suitcases.